1 week post - worried no side effects

Aliciamichele
on 10/7/15 12:04 am

I am one week post up today. And while I am glad I have no "symptoms" I am a bit worried that I don't have any of the usual reactions...

I was walking ikea and 2 other stores for a few hours 5 days in, no exhaustion everyone worried me about. I have had no problem keeping liquids down (shakes, water, coffee etc) - hitting my water goals easily-- again I was told that I wouldn't be able to get more than 2-4oz down at a time. Because of the ease my nutrionest said to move onto puréed foods or soft if I can handle it -- so far so good. No dumping, still actually hungry.

My husband and I joked that maybe they didn't actually complete the surgery. But really, I know I should be happy I don't have any "issues" - but it is worrying me that I am also not having the triggers that help make the surgery a success.

Did anyone else experience this, and still end up losing as expected?

Thanks!

(Surgery day weight 217 -today 211)

Deanna798
on 10/7/15 8:01 am
RNY on 08/04/15

You are only a week out. Your pouch is still numb from the surgery. I didn't have much problem, or pain at all, but eating got more difficult once everything started waking up again.

I also had very little fatigue, and felt fabulous. Some of us are lucky to bounce back quickly.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

lynnc99
on 10/7/15 9:09 am

Many times, those who post on OH do so because they're having difficulty. Many more of us read a lot, but don't experience complications. I had no problems to speak of, only took 1 dose of prescription pain medication after I got home, and was driving 48 hours after arriving home.

I did have some pain after a few weeks, on the lower left side. It was a twinge that would hit every so often- kind of took my breath away a couple of times. But other than that, I've been complication free! And yes, I lost as expected. I only had a couple of dumping episodes....one from a protein shake (yes, you read that right) and one from a little cereal with milk.

What you may perceive as "hunger" really isn't. Your nerves to the stomach have been cut and anesthetized. Therefore, eating and drinking the proper amount is a more reliable measure than going by a feeling.

Best of luck!

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 10/7/15 9:20 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

You had a great surgery - kiss your surgeon when you see them the next time. They did a good job. Still, follow the directions you were given. Have fun in the honeymoon phase -- I am 9 months out and still in the honeymoon phase - except for recovering from the anesthesia.

Sharon

(deactivated member)
on 10/7/15 11:04 am
RNY on 05/04/15

This sounds exactly like my experience. Our surgery weights were even only 6 lbs apart. My mom was dragging me shopping 2 days post-op. I never had trouble with fluids, and since the day of surgery, I've yet to have a single day where I didn't hit my protein goal. I usually at least double it!

I was also hungry right away, and I didn't actually realize that I'd had surgery until I was allowed to start soft foods. Then I finally felt satiated for the first time in 4 weeks -- it was glorious!

Like others have said, a lot of people post on here because they're having problems, so it can appear that more people have issues than really do. I also felt a little "cheated" by never losing my hunger or my desire to eat; it just takes a lot less to quell the beast now. I promise, this is a good thing! It means your surgeon did a great job and you were in good enough shape going into surgery that your body is healing and recovering quickly.

Grim_Traveller
on 10/7/15 1:55 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

There may be a majority of us who have no issues, and wonder if we were put in some control, or placebo group. Then one day we get a little ****y, and eat a little too much, or too fast, and boom -- you'll know for certain you had surgery.

When you feel like you're going to die, remember this post. Maybe it'll make you smile.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Kathyjs
on 10/8/15 9:05 am

Commitment to a lifestyle change is what makes this surgery successful . Don't pu****

mwoods1234
on 10/8/15 4:45 pm

I'm 10 days post op and don't have many symptoms. I do get extremely tired and that's the one symptom I wish I didn't have. I don't have much problem getting my fluids in other than I just have to force myself because I have no desire to eat or drink..lol

I'm down 15 lbs since the day I left he hospital so I was worried I'm loosing too fast (of all problems to have huh?) I think our tummies are still asleep and in a few weeks things are going to kick in as others said.

Sounds like your doing fantastic!!

Rebecca54
on 10/12/15 2:52 pm

I had my surgery Oct 7th, I feel the exact same as you. Today I even had 1 tsp of mashed potatoes and ground beef and felt completely fine afterwards. I have hunger pains and feel I'm not satisfied on 1/4 cup of food. I can also drink a litre of water a day no problem plus more. I'm worried also and will bring it up to my dietician and doctor this week.

moviemum
on 10/20/15 12:14 pm

Me too! I'm feeling unusually amazing and am so grateful. Just a little weak in the morning.

Good luck to us!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 543 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 415 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 297 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 129 views