Total food disconnect

cheapskate
on 10/9/15 6:41 am
RNY on 03/30/15

I am just past my 6 month mark. I am not having any hunger pains, but I also have zero interest in food. The only thing I really want is my protein hot cocoa at night. It's not like I am having cravings for food that isnt on my program, I just dont want food. I could care less.

Has anyone ever experienced this and how did you get past it? I feel like I am relying to heavily on shakes(2 a day) to make my protein count but it is really the only thing I can stand right now. Do I ride it out and it will change?

I am really looking for some honest feedback on this. My husband is getting concerned because what little I was eating post op has only decreaed that much more.

Thanks for any insights...newbies or vets!

jeterway
on 10/9/15 7:13 am

I felt the same way for a while after my surgery. I was kind of glad as it helped me deal with my previous love of eating. I just put myself on a schedule of when I had to eat and did it anyway. It will change at some point. Not exactly sure when I changed but I know by the one year mark, my cravings started to come back. So enjoy it while it lasts.

White Dove
on 10/9/15 7:38 am - Warren, OH

I went through that several times and just made sure I got enough protein from shakes and also took fiber supplements. It is a phase and it will pass. Your body really does not care if your protein comes from shakes or from food. If you don't want to eat, don't worry about it.

I thought of my pouch as a baby that I was raising to be an adult. Children will go through a phase of not eating sometimes and they start eating again at some point. Stressing over it does not help anything.

I always came out of it and went back to wanting food, usually after a few months, sometimes a few weeks.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

yankeescl
on 10/9/15 7:41 am
RNY on 09/12/13

I completely agree with jeterway. I too, had no interest in food and put myself on a scheduled eating plan. Your body needs fuel, and real food (not just shakes). At over 2 years out, you will change. Cravings and hunger come back. I still eat by my schedule...that has helped me deal with the cravings and hunger. I am so used to my routine, that I dare not defer from it. Best of luck!

peachpie
on 10/9/15 9:30 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15
On October 9, 2015 at 1:41 PM Pacific Time, cheapskate wrote:

I am just past my 6 month mark. I am not having any hunger pains, but I also have zero interest in food. The only thing I really want is my protein hot cocoa at night. It's not like I am having cravings for food that isnt on my program, I just dont want food. I could care less.

Has anyone ever experienced this and how did you get past it? I feel like I am relying to heavily on shakes(2 a day) to make my protein count but it is really the only thing I can stand right now. Do I ride it out and it will change?

I am really looking for some honest feedback on this. My husband is getting concerned because what little I was eating post op has only decreaed that much more.

Thanks for any insights...newbies or vets!

Food apathy. I've certainly had moments, where I have zero interest in food, but its not been continuous. In those moments, i actually use shakes to break up whatever monotony I got myself into.

LynnAlex
on 10/9/15 1:43 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

I am so happy you asked this question. I am having the same problem. My NUT wants me to consume 700-900 calories. I have chosen 500 calories. At 2 months, I tried to up it to 600 calories. I have had a cold for a couple of weeks. I thought it might be drainage. But I don't feel like eating. I've made blueberry ricotta bake and ate 1 piece--there are 2 left and my husband ate the rest. I've made cupcakes with the grandkids, and chocolate chip cookies with them, no desire to even lick my fingers. I have forced myself to drink 1 protein shake today. I made cabbage rolls, and made mine without rice. I forced myself to eat one. Yesterday I was at 350 calories, today I am at the same. Even my nightly hot proteinf shake, I've had to cut down to 3-4 ounces or I get sick. I guess I'll ride it out and just drink water, warm tea, and try for 1/2 protein shake tonight.

Age 61 5'4" Consult-6/2/15: 238 SW-8/4/15: 210 CW:145 (6/30/18) M1-16#, M2-17#, M3-14#, M4-10#, M5-6#, M6-5#, M7-1#, M8 -3# Range 133-138 DexaScan 4/16/17 19% body fat---- 2016 wt avg 142-146, 2017, wt. avg 132-136, 2018 avg weight 144-146 bounce back is real.

cheapskate
on 10/9/15 2:10 pm
RNY on 03/30/15

where did you get the recipe for the blueberry ricotta bake? That sounds like something my DH would enjoy.

seattledeb
on 10/9/15 8:42 pm

I don't think you could meet your protein goals with such low calorie numbers can you?

I did not count calories early out but protein grams. Calories would make me think about all foods ie. cookies or cupcakes because for me they certainly can be a food group. If the focus is more on the protein goal it might be easier.

Deb T.

braebre0308
on 10/10/15 2:32 pm

I feeling the exact same way. Even when I try to force myself to eat I get 2 or 3 bites in and I am done. Nothing tastes good. The smell of food makes me nauseated. I have zero interest in food. When I force myself to eat I am getting at the most 300 to 400 calories a day. Protein shakes and powders make me gag. I don't know what to do to get over this hump in my journey.

“Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty… I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life. I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well.” -Theodore Roosevelt

LynnAlex
on 10/9/15 2:58 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

Someone posted it on the RNY What are you eating? I used Stevia. Here is the link:

http://www.mylittleitaliankitchen.com/blueberry-ricotta-chee secake-gluten-free/

Age 61 5'4" Consult-6/2/15: 238 SW-8/4/15: 210 CW:145 (6/30/18) M1-16#, M2-17#, M3-14#, M4-10#, M5-6#, M6-5#, M7-1#, M8 -3# Range 133-138 DexaScan 4/16/17 19% body fat---- 2016 wt avg 142-146, 2017, wt. avg 132-136, 2018 avg weight 144-146 bounce back is real.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 503 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 403 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 417 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 100 views
Forum Search Error & 404