Against All Grain Cookbook by Danielle Walker? Happy Thanksgiving!

Ohiodietguy
on 11/27/15 2:54 pm, edited 11/27/15 3:02 pm

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I went to the library and checked out the book Against All  Grain by Danielle Walker. I wanted to get everyone's opinion about the book and whether or not it is bariatric friendly?  Some of the recipes called for Almond Flour and Coconut Flour. Just wanted to know if anyone is using almond flour and coconut flour and it is okay to eat?  Some of the recipes looked like they may have a lot of carbohydrates? I noticed the nutrition information is not listed for each recipe.  It would be great to find a paleo or low carb recipe book that gave the nutrition information for each recipe. I am thinking about buying the book and trying a few recipes. Also are we allowed to have honey? some of the recipes call for honey.  I am thankful for everyone in the obesityhelp community. I  am about 5 weeks post op and one month to go before I can add vegetables back in. I am getting burnt out on all of this liquid protein. Surgery weight 318.5  today weight 382.8 . I hope everyone had  a good and happy Thanksgiving that was bariatric friendly :)  Oh I had one Non Scale Victory that I was super excited about this week. My family went to a restaurant and I was able to sit and fit in a booth the first time in at least 8 years. I don't know why but that made me so happy to be able to fit into a booth and not have to sit at a table.

Starting Weight 337  Current Weight 178.4 BMI 22.3 

The Salty Hag
on 11/27/15 3:49 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

Congrats on the NSVS, that's still one of my favorites. I hated being too big for the booths in most places. 

Now about the nut flours and honey usage. No on the honey, it's just sugar. You'll have to find a sugar substitute that works for you. It's trial and error. Splenda works fine in my tea and coffee, but for me...it sucks for baking. 

The nut flours are fine to use, but I would caution you to wait until you are in maintainence before you start using them with any regularity. Use this time to focus on protein and non-starchy veggies when you're cleared for them. 

There are SO many low carb cooking blogs out there, there's really no need to buy cooks books.  ( IMO anyway. ) There are also some good bariatric cooking sites around. Bariatric foodie.com and theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com spring immediately to mind. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Ladytazz
on 11/28/15 11:55 am

While in the weight loss period I would just make sure your carbs are low.  I tried to keep mine under 50 but sometimes they were higher because of dairy products but always under 100.

While losing weight it is a good idea to try to stay on the straight and narrow and not test the waters with things refined carbs, sugar and bread, those sort of things.  There will be plenty of time to experiment when you reach goal but if you start too early you may not get there.

There are a lot of things you can have that are low carb.  My first few years I tried out a lot of different new recipes so that I could have food that I liked with lower carbs, like cauliflower pizza and zucchini spaghetti.

Eggface and Bariatric Foodie are good resources for learning new recipes.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 519 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 402 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 258 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics