Successful habits:what are yours?

cheapskate
on 11/30/15 8:28 am
RNY on 03/30/15

This post is a bit of a piggy back off of something Grim posted.  I want to sprint to my weight loss goal. That being said, in order to do that I have to employ the most successful habits. I think I have acquired some great ones, but I want all the great ones in my tool belt. 

What are/were yours?  

CerealKiller Kat71
on 11/30/15 8:46 am
RNY on 12/31/13
  1. Weigh all portions of solids/non-slider foods (which make up the majority of my diet)
  2. Measure all slider/liquid foods (which I try to avoid)
  3. Weigh myself every day (for accountability)
  4. no more than 35 g TOTAL carbs per day.
  5. no less than 80 g of protein per day.
  6. never drink with meals/30 to 40 minutes after eating.
  7. more than 65 oz of fluids per day.
  8. LOG EVERY SINGLE BITE ... every day... in MyFitnessPal.  No exceptions.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Dcgirl
on 11/30/15 8:47 am, edited 11/30/15 12:47 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I sprinted to my weight loss goal (100 lbs lost in 4 months and 4 days, 200 lbs lost overall) and let me tell you that despite being pretty hardcore during the weight loss time, maintenance is NOT easy!  So any habits you can start now will help you along the way :)

This is what I posted after I lost my initial 100 lbs.  Hope it's helpful:

1. A kitchen scale.  This is a MUST, in my opinion.  I got a digital one on amazon.com.  I weigh EVERYTHING.  I cannot eyeball 3 ounces or a half cup.  I need measurement.

2. MyFitnessPal app.  I log every bite or sip that goes in my mouth.  I don't care if it's a 10 calorie teaspoon of soy sauce - it goes in the app!  

3. No carbs.  I know there are many camps when it comes to carbs.  I choose to stick to 20 g per day, and I admit occasionally I go to 30 or 35.  This means no bread, no crackers, no rice, no pasta.  AKA none of my formerly favorite foods.  And sure, there are times I wish I could have a bowl of noodles.  But I think it's more important to walk up hills, to sit on an airplane and have the seatbelt fit, to not worry about sitting in a folding chair at a wedding, to be healthy...

4. I don't test my pouch.  Am I a dumper?  I have no idea.  I have not had even a bite of a cake or a lick of an ice cream.  As the vets will tell you, THIS is your honeymoon period.  Why test what I can tolerate?  I have a food plan from my nutritionist and I can assure you it does not include sweets.  Does this mean I will never have a lick of ice cream.  Hell no!  But for now, I am still in that early period of weight loss and I am sure as hell going to capitalize on that.

5. EXERCISE.  I think diet is 80% of my success, and exercise is 20%.  I am at the gym 4 or 5 times a week, doing the treadmill and working with a personal trainer.  Yes, this is an expense.  But I am no longer buying Marlboro Lights, margaritas, or nachos...so what better thing to spend my money on?  I burn at least 400 calories per workout (according to MyFitnessPal) and I do NOT eat back my calories.  So sticking to a 700 calorie per day diet and burning perhaps 400, well you can imagine this helps.  

6. My FitBit One.  I bought a FitBit One that hooks to my bra and I track my steps every single day and try to beat the day before!  My daily goal is 10,000 steps.

7. Gwinnie Bee.  Basically clothes that you "rent" for a monthly fee.  As my sizes change day by day, I can order clothes from here without commitment :)  And it feels good to wear things that fit, and show off my new body.

8. Recognizing and dealing with head hunger.  After a long, and stressful day, I find myself being "hungry".  Before my TOM, I find myself "hungry".  I have learned to find new things to take my mind off of this head hunger.  I might read.  I might call a friend.  I might go for a walk.  If I can't shake the "hunger" then I might have 2 pickles.  They are crunchy, they are calorie free, and they help fill that supposed void.

9. ObesityHelp.com.  This site helps me more than my doctor, support group, nutritionist, friends or family.  I can talk to y'all on here about things like non-scale victories, lack of poop, recipes, and more.  The people on this site GET me.  I consider many of you to be friends, from far flung places on the earth.

10. Being well-aware that I don't know sh*t.  Check out the vets' posts and advice.  Some of them are 5 years out, 9 years out...and maintaining.  Maintenance is a ***** from what I can tell LOL.  I could sit here and say "100 pounds gone and I will never see them again" but we all know that many people regain.  I can already eat more than I could two months ago.  I can't pretend to know how I will feel in two months, in two years, in twelve years...

ETA: I weigh myself every single day, for the most part.  Even when I know the scale is going to reflect poor choices.

Good luck!

chassibi
on 11/30/15 9:57 am

Are you happy with your Fit Bit One? I've thought about the Charge or HR Charge for my bday (hoping for RNY around March, bday is in April)...but something that isn't on my wrist actually sounds good.

Dcgirl
on 11/30/15 10:15 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I love my FitBit One - that is exactly why I have it - I don't want to have this big clunky thing on my wrist.  I clip it into my bra.  The Charge HR has more functionality, but the One tracks my steps and so I am happy with it :)

Grim_Traveller
on 11/30/15 11:52 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Same here. Except for the clipping it on my bra thing.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Kate M.
on 11/30/15 12:06 pm - toronto, Canada

OMG Grim doesn't wear a bra, pass it on!

May 1, 2015 - RNY TWH | HW 322 | SW 301 | Feb 27, 2016: 175lbs

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/30/15 1:16 pm

I love my HR... no more washing that thing with clothes.. The Charge HR is also my clock and my ..silent alarm...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

lking
on 12/1/15 4:48 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 12/04/15

This is a wonderful post.  So inspiring!

67 yrs old, 4'10", BMI 31.8 (51.8 at start), HW 256.4 (8/4/15), SW 217.4, CW 152.8 (4/30/18), GW 125.0, RNY 12/4/15 Dr. RoseMarie Jones, Breast Cancer DX 2/16, Bi-lateral mastectomy 8/9/16.

Fittechgirl
on 12/3/15 8:07 am

Hello, 

Thank you for this post!!!!! I have my Gastric Bypass Surgery on 12/16. This really helped me. Excellent advice and habits. Making notes!!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 364 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 287 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 388 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 480 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views
Recent Topics