Doxycycline after RNY?

Deanna798
on 12/1/15 4:11 am, edited 12/1/15 4:11 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I have severe rosacea.  I've tried lots of different things, but the only thing that has been even remotely successful for me is a couple of weeks of doxycycline.  It's not on my doctors list of drugs to avoid, but tetracycline is, and I specifically asked my surgeons PA about doxy.  She spent 10 minutes reading while I sat there and then kinda shrugged.  So, my question is, has anyone ever taken doxycycline post RNY and if so, did they have any specific issues?  

Drugs.com says to ask your doctor, my doctor was vague and not helpful.  I am in the middle of a bad breakout and not only is it unsightly, it's really, really uncomfortable.  

This is what I'm dealing with people.

sorry for the sideways pic, I don't know why it does that.  The pic on my PC is upright.  I've tried flipping it and uploading again and it doesn't help.  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

White Dove
on 12/1/15 4:22 am - Warren, OH

After RNY it is probably best to take it in the liquid form because capsules may not work for you.  If your stomach does not have enough acid to dissolve the capsule it might just pass through your system with no benefit to you.  It is not a NSAID, nor is tetracycline.  I have taken antibiotics after surgery with no problems.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

AngryViking
on 12/1/15 4:56 am
RNY on 07/17/14

I took it for a month over the summer for Lyme disease; no problems at all.  I hope you get some relief!

Deanna798
on 12/1/15 6:11 am, edited 11/30/15 10:13 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

Thank you! I had done Google searches, and seem some people had said they'd taken it,  but I like when I know the person, and to hear your experiences.  

I'm starting them tomorrow.  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

SkinnyScientist
on 12/1/15 6:58 am

Have you tried a topical like metrogel

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Deanna798
on 12/1/15 7:59 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I've tried it and didn't get good results.  

SkinnyScientist
on 12/1/15 7:02 am

Hey!  You can compound doxycycline into a topical form.

You might want to try topical...but be aware of photosensitivites.

You may need a compounding pharmacy or a compounding pharmacist.

Sometimes, the hospital pharmacist is good at compounding...

Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2013 Oct;116(4):440-6. doi: 10.1016/j.oooo.2013.06.015.

Single application of topical doxycycline hyclate in the management of recurrent aphthous stomatitis.

Vijayabala GS1, Kalappanavar AN, Annigeri RG, Sudarshan R, Shettar SS.

Author information

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

Although tetracyclines are used for topical therapy in recurrent aphthous stomatitis (RAS) patients, there are few clinical trials that have used doxycycline. Hence, we evaluated the therapeutic efficacy of topical doxycycline hyclate in RAS.

STUDY DESIGN:

A single-blinded placebo-controlled trial comprising 50 RAS subjects divided into group A and group B with 25 subjects in each group was performed. Patients in group A received topical application of crushed doxycycline hyclate tablet with denture adhesive and few drops of saline solution once at the initial visit. Group B received placebo similarly. Treatment response was assessed by measures of pain reduction, ulcer duration, and adhesive retention time. Data were analyzed using the Student t test.

RESULTS:

Participants treated with doxycycline hyclate had significantly less pain by day 1 (P 

Racewalker48
on 12/1/15 7:25 pm, edited 12/1/15 11:25 am
RNY on 02/17/14

While this topical formulation worked for the condition listed in the reference, does it work for rosacea?  This reference doesn't address the OP's condition.  I'm a pharmacist and can mix up a whole mess of stuff you can slather on your skin, doesn't mean it will work topically the same way it works systemically.  Show me a reference where topical doxycycline worked for rosacea, not aphthous stomatitis.

SkinnyScientist
on 12/2/15 5:13 am, edited 12/1/15 9:15 pm

Hey Racewalker,

I am glad you pointed this out as I am a pharmacologist and get lost in the theory rather than the applied science.

It appears that several sources HAVE contemplated use of topical doxycycline to combat rosacea!

The first is US Patent Application No. 2003/0228340.  See paragraph 16 "1-hydroxy-2-pyridones applied topically for rosacea treatment or recurrence prevention may also be combined with the topical application of benzoyl peroxide, sulfur, sodium sulfacetamide, antibiotics (such as, without limitation, tetracycline, doxycycline, clindamycin, erythromycin, minocycline), retinoid compositions (such as, without limitation, natural retinoids, synthetic retinoids, retinoic acid, retinal, retinol, adapalene, tzarotene, isotretoin, their derivatives, isomers....These ingredients may be applied topically in the same composition as the pyridone, or in separate compositions, which are also topically applied."

Next Dr. Shamie writes "If a patient has blepharoconjunctivitis and cutaneous rosacea, I prescribe topical doxycycline, because it treats the skin in addition to the eyelids. " (emphasis added). https://cme.dannemiller.com/articles/activity?id=547&p=5.

Also, an internet article from JAN 1, 2015 mentioned a company called Foamix appeared to be coming up with a foam comprising doxycycline for rosceaa treatment. However, the article was subscription based so I am not allowed to post it here cuz it requires registration, which is against OH's terms of service.

Deanna798
on 12/2/15 5:48 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I also have blepharitus. You can see that my left eye in the picture has a sore. 

I started taking the oral doxycycline this morning and have a mildly upset stomach.  I'll be calling to make an appointment with my dermatologist so I can ask her about the topical. 

My bottle of doxy days no dairy and no other vitamin 2 hours, and I'm supposed to take it twice a day. This makes the logistics of taking it orally challenging.  

Thanks so much for all the advice!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 367 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 321 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 389 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 321 views