How Do Y'all Handle Winter?!?!

(deactivated member)
on 2/2/16 4:52 am

I'm a North Carolina girl...I don't know how people who actually get the 'real snow' handle it!!!!  Yes, I am one of those crazy people who run to the store when the threat of freezing temps is made, because I literally cannot handle the cold weather.  When we got the pitiful amount of snow/ice we had the other week, I was stuck inside, under two blankets, still freezing, and eating like a dog, because I was so mad that I couldn't go to the gym or be on my normal schedule.  My body feels so tired in the cold and I constantly shiver.  I did get my first iron infusion last Friday and I have another one this Friday so I hope that will help me be able to bear the cold in the future.  It just seems like it gets harder every year.  I might need to move further south!!!!!

I wish winter would literally die and I hope Groundhog Day brings good news and warmth!  Kudos to you guys who drive in the snow/ice, who keep on schedule, etc.  I WISH to be one of you one day!  

Yesterday it was almost 70 degrees and it was lovely here in NC; today it's supposed to be close to that again...and after tomorrow, slowly taper back down.  UGH.  Die winter.  Die!!!!

supershopper
on 2/2/16 5:02 am

I'm here in north GA and I was wanting to walk outside and couldn't. I did go after the snow melted up though.

I ended up walking around the house instead to keep warm. Also have a recumbent bike to use.

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

supershopper
on 2/2/16 5:03 am

Oh, if you have amazon prime you can get their exercise videos for free. They have yoga, pilates, all kinds of stuff.

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

(deactivated member)
on 2/2/16 5:08 am

I need to grow up and youtube exercise programs; that would be a great idea!!!  It's funny...I make those same ol' excuses for myself...I don't exercise at home because it doesn't motivate me, I am too immature and I laugh at the people, my kids laugh at me and then I get started, the day sucks so just sit down and eat...LOL...I need to be more internally motivated!!!!   At the gym, I bust my butt, but otherwise, I am a sad, sad exerciser!!!!  I gotta just get over that and move my rear!  Thank you!

thallnc
on 2/2/16 5:31 am - NC
VSG on 02/18/15

I to am a NC girl and I did the same thing you did when we had the snow/ice last week. I had to work from home on Friday so that kept me busy, but Saturday and Sunday I was going stir crazy because I couldn't get out. I even have a gym and inside heated pool but I couldn't make myself use them (SMH). The good news....Spring will be here soon and we can be outside and more active. I can't wait to hit the hiking trails again!!!

Height: 5'5" HW: 278.2; SW: 268.2; CW: 175.6

KnittingPoet
on 2/2/16 5:35 am - Raleigh, NC

I feel your pain. I'm miserable from November until March.  I'm in NC, also. I have a little electric heater that points directly at me because we can't afford to keep the house heated a temp I'd like and because my wife is pretty hot blooded. 

Just had blood work done and my iron is still super low. My new doctor is finally going to get me the infusions I've been wanting.  

The odd thing is that despite being cold all the time, I still have a major ice craving because of my anemia. So there will be days that I'm under a blanket, in front of my heater eating shaved ice!!  I'm such a weirdo!!

(deactivated member)
on 2/3/16 5:03 am

I also crave ice and starch, too.  I will sit with my hands freezing and eat ice like a crazy lady, complaining about how cold it is the whole time.  I hope the iron infusions help!!!

karenp8
on 2/2/16 5:44 am - Brighton, IL

I live in Illinois and we get some snow and cold temps. I will walk outside to the temp of 30 or so with lots of layers to stay warm. Lily my dog has her own coat if needed too. With much snow though I exercise at home because she drags me through it like it's an ice skating rink and I would rather not break something! I have a treadmill and recumbent bike for those days but much prefer the outdoors. I HAVE to be self motivated  when it comes to exercise because we are on a fixed income and a gym membership is not in the budget nor gas to get there. If I want to maintain I must push myself hard each and every day! I do not intend to go back to that miserable 270 pound person so I will motivate myself like I have throughout my journey. Best of success to you in your journey too!

terri101b
on 2/2/16 5:49 am - Brunswick,, OH

I am here in ohio,,right now at 8:48am it's a whooping 23 degrees,,,i am getting to old for this cold,,,i drive a school bus,,always cold from door opening and closing..

cptprkchp
on 2/2/16 6:04 am

Hello!!

I live in NYC and last week we got over 2 feet of snow dumped on us.  I grew up in New England so I am used to snow and temps so cold it hurts.  It's all relative.  Back when I got my drivers license I remember my dad teaching me and my sister how to drive (stick shift) in snow, ice, monsoons, tsunamis, earthquakes, etc.  I also think the preexisting conditions here make it easier to drive - I think all of New England's outermost layer is made up of rock salt from the roads.  From what I have been told- even I might have a problem driving in the snow in your area just because the roads are generally salt-free so the car would slip everywhere.

During the storm last week I noticed people just going about their business- grocery shopping, pharmacy, smoking outside, etc., but everything here is in a one block radius so it's less extreme than in a place where we would have to drive.  I actually prefer the colder weather to the humidity in the summer but, in my case, my husband is always hot so I live in arctic conditions year round.  LOL. 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 495 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 352 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 435 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 32 replies · 398 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 105 views
Recent Topics