Probiotics - are they ok?

mute
on 2/5/16 8:46 am
RNY on 03/23/15

ive taken probiotics once since RNY when I had to take antibiotics and I thought I was going to die before t the awesome Kat W recommended them and saved me. But that was for about a week and a half. 

I used to have bad ibs all the time and found some solutions for it but since surgery it's been mostly better. The last few weeks though I haven't felt all that great. I've felt kind of bloated, generally more constipated, and my stomach hurts not badly but hurts. I can eat fine and feel ok besides that. I feel like I do when my ibs-c was flaring up. So I was thinking I was going to try to take probiotics regularly to see if that would help because my previous solution won't work since they all involved carby food soothing my tummy. 

But are probiotics ok for RNY stomachs all the time? 

Other than that I've taken milk of magnesia twice in the last week and that doesn't seem like a great solution. 

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

jenorama
on 2/5/16 9:25 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I use the True Nature probiotics from Costco and they work really well for me. I do one a day in the morning along with a scoop of fiber in my protein shake and that keeps me on a regular schedule. 

You might have to try a few different ones before you find one that works for you. My husband went through several before finding the one he uses. 

Jen

mute
on 2/5/16 9:47 am
RNY on 03/23/15

Thanks for the tip!

mute
on 2/5/16 9:47 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I should have done a search, shame on me. I'm good now. Ordering one now. 

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 2/5/16 11:53 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I can't speak for an RNY pouch, but I've been taking these for a couple of months:

I was taking Culturelle, but they seemed to stop working for me.  Plus they're expensive.  These are shelf stable and seem to work well for me

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Ashley in Belgium
on 2/5/16 1:26 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

I see a Nutrtionist who is a medical doctor with a 3 year additional specialty in nutrition and supplements.  Not to brag - just to say she knows her stuff and isn't a dietician.

Anyhoo - she has had me on probiotics since 6 weeks post-op.  Since I live overseas the brands I take are useless to you but I will share that she recommends rotating probiotics.  There are 5 families of prob-biotics (as I understand it) and so I switch them up every 3 months to not encourage an overgrowth of the wrong kind and she has me take them at night right before bed so they have a chance to do party on a mostly empty stomach.

Has helped with bloating and constipation tremendously - everytime I run out or forget for a few nights I am very sorry!  Hope this helps.

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

mute
on 2/5/16 2:57 pm
RNY on 03/23/15

Thanks for that tip too!  I vaguely recall seeing someone else mention rotating them, I'm going to google families of probiotics so that when I do want to rotate I will try to get a different family and not the same one lol. Hearing that you got the advice about probiotics in general from a medical doctor is very helpful to me because most people I know take probiotics just because they've heard it's good for you. 

crazy4birds
on 2/5/16 4:16 pm, edited 2/5/16 8:18 am
RNY on 12/02/14

Not to brag either but my dr did a study for Stanford and found that taking probiotics after WLS helps with weight loss.  Not sure if this is true or not but I've been taking them to keep myself regular.  Prior to surgery I suffered from IBS-D.  I've been taking the chewable gummy ones since I find them less harsh but they do add sugar.  

HW: 240   SW:  224   Goal:  130 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 2/5/16 6:20 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I am glad you bragged about this!  I read this study -- and have taken probiotics since my RNY.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

mute
on 2/7/16 11:31 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I like that you mention this! I added a probiotic to my vitamins yesterday and I'm going to see how it works. I wish I had read this study 10 months ago after my surgery lol!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 523 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 407 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 263 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics