Can you eat fruit or does it cause dumping?

Cocotopaz
on 2/5/16 6:46 pm
RNY on 02/16/16

I am scheduled for rny surgery on the 16th. I am nervous though because I can not use any sugar substitutes. They ALL (Stevia, Splenda, etc) cause severe me to have craps and diarrhea. Since sugar causes dumping I do not know what I will do for things like protein shakes.

I did find a shake that has no sweeteners at all but  it tastes horrible without something to sweeten it even a little. I am hoping that putting some pureed fruit or baby food fruit in the shakes will make it sweet enough that I will be able to drink it without causing dumping. 

Has anyone had problems with fruit causing dumping? Will bananas be OK to eat? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Cocotopaz

catwoman7
on 2/5/16 7:57 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I've never dumped (on anything, not just fruit), but I do eat fruit occasionally.  A few berries on my yogurt or 1/3-1/2 a banana in my protein shake, usually.  Bananas are high in sugar, but some of us can and do eat them (although again, I never eat more than half of one).  You'll just have to try it to see if you can tolerate them.  Some people can, some can't.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Cocotopaz
on 2/6/16 1:05 am
RNY on 02/16/16

Dumping sounds very unpleasant but I am hoping I will have that to help keep me on the right track away from candy, cakes and such. But on the other hand I hope I will be able to tolerate fruit. From what I am reading it sounds like everyone is different. I didn't know that before. I guess I will find out soon enough how things will affect me. Thank you for taking time to reply.

robinreinhardt
on 2/7/16 2:56 pm

You are right! Dumping is the pits. I am 13 months out from RNY and I still dump.

Good luck to you and keep coming here to OH. It's a lifesaver.

Robin

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 2/12/16 6:56 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

This will be an expreiment!! It's worth the effort!!!

Sharon

G2GAWAY
on 2/5/16 8:03 pm
RNY on 05/16/15

I have not had any dumping issues with fruit, but started slowly.  Bananas were on the initial soft foods diet, and I could only eat about a quarter of a banana at a time, but was advised to stop them and focus on protein first once I moved to denser foods.  Fruits can come later, you should focus on protein, then vegetables, then fruit.  For protein, I drank (and still do) Premier Protein shakes.  They are premixed and have very low sugar. Costco sells them and will deliver them for free right to your front door.  They have only 1 gram of sugar. Not sure if they contain the sugar substitutes, I imagine you can find out online.  Good luck.

Cory

5'7" Starting Weight: 305

Current Weight: 145

Cocotopaz
on 2/6/16 12:49 am
RNY on 02/16/16

Thanks for your reply Cory. I checked the ingredients and unfortunately Premier contains sucralose, which I can not use. I understand that I need to concentrate on protein so I am just trying to find a way to be able to use some protein shakes. I am interested in fruit to possibly use as a sweetener for protein shakes since I can't use sugar substitutes and in case sugar causes me a problem .

I am at a real loss since I really don't want to add extra calories and slow my weight loss but at the same time if I need protein shakes for the protein I need a way to make that work. Thank you for taking time to reply to my question. I really appreciate your suggestions.

Catek2652
on 2/7/16 6:29 am
RNY on 10/26/15

Unjury has an unflavored protein powder and is unsweetened. If can order single serving packs to try out. Now I have a very healthy source for fresh eggs and when EVERYTHING was too sweet for me just after surgery, I put one raw fresh egg, some milk, and the unflavored protein, and 1 drop of vanilla in the blender. Very bland, but it tasted good to me and stayed down without a problem. I only drank about 1/4 cup of a it at a time and just reblended when I was ready for the next serving.

They also have a chicken broth protein powder which tastes okay, but you can only heat it up to 130 degrees. Over that temp and it gets lumpy. I like HOT soup, so this was not very appealing to me, but I have added it to sauces from time to time when I was more in the mood for veggies than meat to boost the protein.

Cate K

Northern Neck, VA 5'4" 56 years old

Highest weight 245: 7/1/2015, RNY surgery on October 26th. Had multiple complications and follow up surgeries and stayed in hospital for 24 days. Goal weight is 140.

Cocotopaz
on 2/7/16 5:41 pm
RNY on 02/16/16

I remember my mother making those egg-milkshakes for my sister when she wasn't eating well. I wouldn't use raw today but I could get the pasteurized ones in the carton. Thanks for the reminder! The chicken protein on veggies sounds like a great idea. Thank you.

G2GAWAY
on 2/8/16 10:06 pm
RNY on 05/16/15

Early on, I also used unflavored Isopure Protein Powder mixed with anything I was eating (greek yogurt-there are some with no artificial sweeteners I think).  You can look on Amazon.  It says that there are no artificial sweeteners.

• Unflavored whey protein isolate that contains 26 grams per serving, of pure Whey Protein Isolate
  • All impurities typically found in most whey proteins have been removed
  • Can be added directly to hot/cold foods or beverages and the tasteless formula blends in perfectly
  • No fat, carbohydrate, sugars or lactose, artificial flavors or artificial sweeteners

Cory

5'7" Starting Weight: 305

Current Weight: 145

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 496 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 354 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 435 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 32 replies · 399 views