Finally home from surgery! Feeling some numbness in thigh

equinebeing
on 2/9/16 9:13 am

Hello everyone! Thank you to all of you for your support in the pre-op process. I went in for my surgery on Friday morning, and was not released until late last night. I was kind of miserable through out the hospital stay. I have some complications that caused my stress to go up. Mostly that they felt I was not getting enough oxygen at first. And then though gosh darned heparin shots hurt SO much. 

It wasn't until I was in the car that I noticed that my left upper thigh is kind of numb. At first I thought it may be because I had been laying on it (they gave me an extra IV of potassium because my levels were low in some post op lab work) and so I was positioned that way. However, I was careful not to sleep on it last night, and this morning it is still numb. 

My foot and calf seem fine, but the thigh is numb, and there's no weird color or anything. Any ideas what it may be? I put a call into the nurse at my doctor's office, and she said she would consult with the surgeon and give me a call back. She said I may have to go to the ER to get it evaluated but I really don't have a ride right now. My parents took so many days off during the recovery part they are tied up at work now. I am due to go into an appointment with my surgeon tomorrow though, so hopefully it'll be ok to wait. 

Interested to hear what y'all think! Thanks again. 

chassibi
on 2/9/16 12:05 pm

I would want an ultrasound of it to rule out DVT.

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

KLE
on 2/9/16 4:02 pm
RNY on 02/01/16

I agree. I would want to rule out a DVT also.  Congratulations on having you surgery, hang in there things will look up soon.

White Dove
on 2/9/16 5:06 pm - Warren, OH

The same thing happened to me and I believe it was the way I was positioned on the table during surgery or maybe the way I laid on it after surgery. 

It kept up for more than a month and I finally got rid of it by rubbing with capsaicin cream.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

equinebeing
on 2/9/16 5:20 pm

Thanks for your replies everyone! I got a call back from my surgeon's office and he says that his patients commonly have this happen for about 2-3 days. Either way I'll be in to see him tomorrow!

Can't wait to stop being uncomfortable! 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 418 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 368 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 421 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 8 replies · 65 views