Got the staples out doctor wants to see a 30 pound weight loss in 8 weeks need some advice

ChristyO
on 2/10/16 9:24 am
RNY on 02/01/16

I left the doctor's office crying I actually cried all the way home just scared I'll be a failure because the scale really wasn't going down and it was scaring me the doctor wasn't happy but at the very end a nurse and the doctor did tell me since it has only been one week I still might have had a lot of fluid in my body from the IV's at the hospital plus the Yuckee pain medication pumped in your body, they said it might take more time to flush all that out of my system I also yesterday out of the blue started my time of the month so I probably was retaining water from that as well anyway in the last two days the scales gone down 4 pounds Thank God the scale started to move one thing I've learned from this already is that it isn't a magic wand I'm going to have to be very careful about what I eat I do get pretty hungry sometimes if I eat a little more than I should that darn scale will start moving right back up this is going to be harder than what I thought it would be I would appreciate any advice from anyone to help me get this first 30 pounds off right now I like to sip on the broth still cuz it feels good on my tummy any other ideas of things I should eat to help , make me feel  full quickly  but with very little calories thank you for any advice. (I take a medication that makes you feel like you're starving we are going to try to substitute another med in place of the one I'm taking but there's no guarantee this medication will work out I will try it and see)

ChristyO

Height 5'4

S.W. 251

C.W. 129

G.W. 125

NYMom222
on 2/10/16 10:07 am
RNY on 07/23/14

First of all, don't stress about the number the Doc gave you. If you don't hit 30lbs... what is he going to do? Take the surgery back? LOL.  Everybody is different... Some people gain significantly from the IV fluids - like 10lbs or more... Many go into stalls during the first 2 months. My stall started one week after surgery and last 3 1/2 weeks, and I still lost 31lbs by my 2 month Dr.s visit... a few days past the official 2 month mark.

Focus on taking care of yourself, drinking your fluids and getting your protein in. Try and be active 30 minutes a day... in the beginning I would turn the kitchen timer on and dance in my kitchen.

If warm liquids feel better - by all means drink warm liquids. Are you taking a PPI like Omeprezole/Prilosec? It cuts down on the acid, and can help with the hunger...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

ChristyO
on 2/10/16 11:21 am
RNY on 02/01/16

Thank you , you made me smile 

ChristyO

Height 5'4

S.W. 251

C.W. 129

G.W. 125

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 2/12/16 6:28 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

What helped me:

Make a daily routine for M-F and a different one for the weekends.  I started with FLUID before BF, waited an hour, had BF over a break a work, had multi vits,  an hour later, start drinking until an hour before lunch, etc.  I had to think it all out beforehand and get into a routine or else I was hungry or low on fluids or both or forgot vits. I had to write it down and check things off. 30 min of mobility - I was NOT doing Zumba - I walked and just walked faster and longer (although 30 min of dancing sounds more fun and just as mobility-enhancing). 

After a few weeks I did it all automatically. 

Go for 100% compliance with the directions you were given - the scale will do what it will do. And the dr knows that - but because of your first week's results - DR does not know if you are cheating or not and wants to strike the fear of God into in case you are. 

Do not be worried if you do not lose 30 pounds in this next month - Be worried and take action if you are not compliant with the directions you are given.

Sharon

AnnyBananny
on 2/10/16 10:10 am - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

My best and only advice is to strictly follow your program's plan. I'm hoping that you have been given guidelines about what to eat and drink and when to introduce new types of foods. Every program is vastly different - but the one thing I can say is you have to trust the process. Especially so early out the weight WILL just melt off - when you're following the protocols.

It can be overwhelming and you're on an emotional roller coaster in the beginning, but just try to take a deep breath, remind yourself that this you can do this - and stick to the plan!

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

ChristyO
on 2/10/16 11:22 am
RNY on 02/01/16

Thank You 

ChristyO

Height 5'4

S.W. 251

C.W. 129

G.W. 125

supershopper
on 2/10/16 10:36 am

Did you lose prior to surgery?

I only lost 12 pounds my first month, That was subtracting my weight the morning before surgery. But I had lost 53 pounds before.

My weight is coming off slowly and this is week 7.

The rest of the comments are great. Stick to your plan and weight and measure everything.

Find something to do other than obsess over eating and losing weight. I've found that walking in my neighborhood helps get my mind off things.

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

ChristyO
on 2/10/16 11:24 am
RNY on 02/01/16

Hi, ya I lost 21 before surgery, thanks for the advice 

ChristyO

Height 5'4

S.W. 251

C.W. 129

G.W. 125

Maria27
on 2/10/16 10:54 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

WTF is wrong with your doctor. I only lost 3 pounds per week, and I made it to goal. Losing 30 pounds in 8 weeks is unrealistic for most people unless they start out at a much higher weight than you. I consider three pounds per week a good target. Some people lose faster than that, but you should not expect to with your starting weight. Even that is faster than some people who still make it to goal. Follow the program, and you will be fine.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

emelar
on 2/10/16 11:00 am - TX

Doctors who set arbitrary numbers like that should be taken out and shot.  You control the part of this that you CAN control - sticking to your program.  Your body controls the rest.  And, yeah, things can affect how much fluid you're retaining and your weight can fluctuate unexpectedly from day to day.  Just stick to your plan.

Luckily, you were not put on the earth to make your doctor happy.  As NYMom say, he can't "take it back," so stop sweating his expectations.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 518 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 400 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 257 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics