How long to your goal?

cheapskate
on 2/29/16 7:07 am
RNY on 03/30/15

I am getting paranoid I am done losing. I know a lot of it is what the doctor said to md, but still. I am already 18 pounds lower than he said to hope for, still losing at a decent rate.  But then I read someone on a different support group say weight loss ends at a year. 

I am at 11 months today and still 40 from my overall goal. I have had 2 surgeries in that time and had my foot in a boot for 4 months of that, NOT related to either surgery. 

I am trying to take the advice given hete and race to my goal but I am feeling a bit beat down, like I won't make it. 

How long did you actively lose?  I am not planning on moving to maintenance until year 2.

catwoman7
on 2/29/16 7:40 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I'm in the pretty much the same spot.  Looking forward to the responses.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

melissasue1982
on 2/29/16 8:07 am
RNY on 04/06/15

I am right there with you!  My surgeon's office is NO HELP when it comes to making a goal weight, since I passed their goal weight for me about 42 lbs ago.  So they don't care if I lose more.  But I want to loose at least another 13-14 lbs, minimum.

I have been going up/down, up/down for a few months now.  I'm sure a lot of that is my own self destructive fault.  But I would really like to be a normal BMI, even though I know that isn't the end all be all of health measurement.

HW: 328 Program start weight: 309 SW:275.8 CW: 154.6 (12/14/16)

Deanna798
on 2/29/16 9:17 am
RNY on 08/04/15

Another one in a similar situation.  I am 7 months since surgery and I'm about 41lbs away from my goal.  I am still about 13lbs away from my surgeons goal.  I am still losing slowly, but I have felt it slow down quite a bit.  It's scary to think that I may not get there.  I'm still plugging away and feel like I mostly do a good job with my intake.  I just have to have faith that it's going to keep working for me.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Grim_Traveller
on 2/29/16 9:17 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I think part of what you are feeling is just plain tired and worn out. Some call it "diet fatigue." It lasts about a year, give or take for most people. To me, that is the true "honeymoon period." It's in our heads.

It's a lot easier to start eating more, more often, and more crap when diet fatigue sets in. If you have reached your goal, it's easier to fight tooth and nail to stay there. But if you are a looooong way from goal, it's easier to abandon hope and start the scale going up again.

An analogy might help. It's possible to be in so much debt you can never get out. If you're lucky, you can pay the interest, but the principle will always be there. That's morbid obesity. You make little dents, but it always comes back. Maybe even make a big dent. But the hole is just too deep. 

Having WLS is like declaring bankruptcy. You get back to zero. It is a lot, lot, lot easier to keep yourself there, than to dig out of that big deficit. But in both cases, you have to keep fighting. 

So, to get back to your original question, that one year thing is in our heads. Human nature. Most people do stop losing at a year, both because of diet fatigue, and because they've done losing. But very often, people will lose for 18 to 24 months. I know one who kept churning along and hit goal at over 7 years.

This is up to you. It gets harder, absolutely. But not because of your body, but your brain. That's the fight. It's also the hardest fight.

Don't gain. Even if you tread water for a while, avoid digging the hole deeper. Use the time to gather your resolve and make another push. Hey, you don't push every minute you're in labor, either. Just when you need to.

I think the best thing people can do to help is honestly weigh and log their food. Every bite. You need to know exactly where you are calorie wise, and estimating portions won't cut it. I still think it's the best tool we have for reaching goal.

You can do this. It doesn't matter if loss is slow. Loss is great. Every month you lose one pound is a month closer to goal -- and a month you didn't gain. And maybe somewhere in there you'll get a second wind, and have a five pound loss. 

Keep working. Forget about what pepple say about your goal, or your timetable. Kick some ass instead.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 2/29/16 9:26 am
RNY on 12/31/13
On February 29, 2016 at 5:17 PM Pacific Time, Grim Traveller, Boy Hag wrote:

I think part of what you are feeling is just plain tired and worn out. Some call it "diet fatigue." It lasts about a year, give or take for most people. To me, that is the true "honeymoon period." It's in our heads.

It's a lot easier to start eating more, more often, and more crap when diet fatigue sets in. If you have reached your goal, it's easier to fight tooth and nail to stay there. But if you are a looooong way from goal, it's easier to abandon hope and start the scale going up again.

An analogy might help. It's possible to be in so much debt you can never get out. If you're lucky, you can pay the interest, but the principle will always be there. That's morbid obesity. You make little dents, but it always comes back. Maybe even make a big dent. But the hole is just too deep. 

Having WLS is like declaring bankruptcy. You get back to zero. It is a lot, lot, lot easier to keep yourself there, than to dig out of that big deficit. But in both cases, you have to keep fighting. 

So, to get back to your original question, that one year thing is in our heads. Human nature. Most people do stop losing at a year, both because of diet fatigue, and because they've done losing. But very often, people will lose for 18 to 24 months. I know one who kept churning along and hit goal at over 7 years.

This is up to you. It gets harder, absolutely. But not because of your body, but your brain. That's the fight. It's also the hardest fight.

Don't gain. Even if you tread water for a while, avoid digging the hole deeper. Use the time to gather your resolve and make another push. Hey, you don't push every minute you're in labor, either. Just when you need to.

I think the best thing people can do to help is honestly weigh and log their food. Every bite. You need to know exactly where you are calorie wise, and estimating portions won't cut it. I still think it's the best tool we have for reaching goal.

You can do this. It doesn't matter if loss is slow. Loss is great. Every month you lose one pound is a month closer to goal -- and a month you didn't gain. And maybe somewhere in there you'll get a second wind, and have a five pound loss. 

Keep working. Forget about what pepple say about your goal, or your timetable. Kick some ass instead.

^^^ Best advice EVER^^^^

To add to that, I continued to lose my second year.  I am just into my 3rd year, and I am still trending downward -- your loss doesn't have to stop.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Grim_Traveller
on 2/29/16 10:30 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I think you are the most hardcore, disciplined person I've seen. A lot more than me. Anyone could do a lot worse than follow your example.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 2/29/16 10:52 am
RNY on 12/31/13

You're making me blush.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Spencerella
on 2/29/16 1:37 pm, edited 2/29/16 5:40 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Kat, you rock. That is all.

Okay, Grim is not so bad either 

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

SkinnyScientist
on 3/1/16 5:54 am

This is true. When one watches "My 600 lb life" Dr. Nowzardan often says that he expects the person to KEEP LOSING and REACH THEIR GOAL weight in YEAR 2.

That means...one can keep losing.

I imagine it gets harder...but if 600 lb people only lost for a year...all the surgeons would be doing DS on them...right?

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 566 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 350 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 457 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 370 views