Anxiety after weight loss surgery

gibbygal
on 3/1/16 6:00 am
RNY on 02/16/16

I have always had anxiety, and lately it i****ting hard.  I am two weeks post op today, and I worry about everything.  I worry that I am not getting enough fluids.  I worry that my vitamins aren't working.  I worry that the surgery won't work.  I worry that I am eating the wrong thing.  I am so thankful to have you all on this site. Reading your posts have assured me everything is ok.  A good side note of all this anxiety, I don't chew my nails anymore! I am so worried that my fingernails will puncture my new stomach, that I have nails for the first time in my life.  It's really strange, in a good way.

(deactivated member)
on 3/1/16 6:57 am

I wish I could say anxiety goes away after surgery. Having WLS is very stressful at times. Just follow your plan. Come here and ask questions. 

There are so many people who are here to help. I know I say that on a regular basis. It is true.

If you use the search at the top you can look up things you need to know. Asking questions is good. 

If you have a therapist it may be good to work with one. Do you take meds for anxiety? If you do maybe they need to be adjusted. 

gibbygal
on 3/1/16 9:52 am
RNY on 02/16/16

I do take Lexapro for anxiety and depression.  I just went back to my family doctor and she wants to keep me on the same med and dosage until I atleast get through these first six weeks after surgery. To add, I used to pass out from stress, so I really am doing better than I did in the past.  I go to my surgeon tomorrow, as well as my monthly support group.  This site is amazing.  It helps me calm those destructive inner voices. You guys are so amazing, and I am very thankful. 

Sarafer
on 3/1/16 7:35 am
RNY on 01/14/16

First- I love your profile pic! It's so cheerful!!

I also have anxiety and completely understand. I agree that a therapist is a really good idea at this stage. If you are taking medication for it, I would meet with your doctor. It's possible that what you were taking before surgery is not what you should be taking after surgery (due to changes in anxiety and how the meds are absorbed). If you're not taking anything then you may need to during this stressful time of major transition. You are doing what you should, but don't let your anxiety make you miserable! Talk with a therapist and/or your primary care doctor!!! And this is a great place to get clarification- anxiety messes with my head and it helps to get a good dose of realistic perspective about what I'm worrying about!

RNY: 1/14/16    Age: 34   Height: 5'4"  SW: 280

gibbygal
on 3/1/16 9:49 am
RNY on 02/16/16

Thanks!! Yes I already take Lexapro.  My doctor didn't want to lower my dosage or take me off of it, because she feels like right now is a stressful time and I need the meds more than ever.  Anxiety is what kind of brought me to this surgery.  I have Vasovagal syncope syndrome.  Which pretty much means I get dizzy and pass out when I get stressed.  With getting that diagnosis, I saw a cardiologist, and had tons of tests run.  I was my highest weight ever.  I just didn't want to be diabetic or die from a heart attack while out delivering mail.  I am so glad I got diagnosed with anxiety.  Makes all these mind games a little bit easier knowing where they are coming from.  

Sarafer
on 3/1/16 11:05 am
RNY on 01/14/16

I'm glad you're being followed by someone! I take the same thing by the way and have tried at various times to wean off with disastrous results, so I carry on! I've noticed that since surgery I find if I miss a dose it is really noticeable- probably because it's going though my system faster. You've got a lot going on and this will be so good for you! How is the food and all going??

RNY: 1/14/16    Age: 34   Height: 5'4"  SW: 280

gibbygal
on 3/1/16 12:51 pm
RNY on 02/16/16

I made a mistake a few days ago while cooking with my son. I took a pinch of chicken and as soon as I swallowed, I knew I made a mistake.  Other than that I feel amazing.  The protein shakes all make me sick from the smell.  I now do carnation instant breakfast sugar free.  Tomorrow I go back for my two week check and I hope they advance me to puree foods.

Kathyjs
on 3/3/16 8:22 pm

My psychiatrist retired and the one doesn't believe in Xanax. Does lexapro work? 

gibbygal
on 3/4/16 3:59 am
RNY on 02/16/16

I love Lexapro.  My whole anxiety issue started when I felt like I was going to pass out while driving.  I found out the stress was triggering Vasovagal Syncope Syndrome.  That was after having blood tests and an EKG.  I am on 20 milligrams a day. I also heard they prescribe it to women because it's gentler to our systems.  Personally, it made me the happiest I have been in my life.  I don't want to stop.  My kids and husband even comment on how much better I am doing.  I have been on it since 2014.

gibbygal
on 3/4/16 4:00 am
RNY on 02/16/16

Oh, and I did prozac back in 1998 and it did nothing. Complete waste of money and time.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 30 replies · 153 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
Recent Topics