Feeding Tube Advice

3LittleMonkeys
on 3/23/16 3:14 am - Aurora, CO

Anyone have a feeding tube placed due not eating and malnutrition? What was involved and how long did it stay in?

First we are going to try meds oi increase my appetite.  If that doesn't work, he is talking about revising my Bypass.  I have no clue what that is involved/

RNY_elizabeth
on 3/23/16 7:02 am - TX
RNY on 10/06/15

I have no advice but it does sound scary and upsetting.  Best wishes that everything works out quickly.

~Elizabeth

Consultation weight: 265, Surgery date: 10/6/15, Goal: 150, Current weight: 129; 5'5, 46 years old

"I am basically food's creepy ex-girlfriend. I know we can't be together anymore but I just want to spend time hanging out" ~me, about why I love cooking so much post WLS

Maria27
on 3/23/16 7:38 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

I have a friend who had a feeding tube placed after having a stricture and a bowl obstruction, but she was only a few months out from RNY. I don't think she had it for very long.

I read your previous thread, and I am a bit suspicious of the advice your doctor is giving you. You are at the point where many people feel they are too thin, but they naturally gain some weight back due to the malabsorption going away. You are not underweight, and telling you to get back to 140 pounds is absurd. I understand that you have other things going on, so I guess what I am suggesting is that you get a second opinion from another doctor. I frequently have no appetite, but I make myself eat enough protein anyway. I drink protein shakes if that what it takes. If you really are anorexic, then maybe what you really need is to talk to a therapist.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Laura in Texas
on 3/23/16 12:36 pm

Are you not eating due to a physical issue or mental? If mentally you cannot make yourself eat, I hope you are seeing a therapist. Many of us here do not feel hunger and may not want to eat, but we know we must eat on a regular schedule for our health.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

ChristyO
on 3/24/16 8:30 am
RNY on 02/01/16

I would definitely take Seroquel in the early evening  before I ever had a feeding tube inserted ask your doctor for a prescription you will get your apetite back immediately with the first dose.  A feeding tube running through your nose down to your stomach would be a bad deal

ChristyO

Height 5'4

S.W. 251

C.W. 129

G.W. 125

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 384 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 426 views