camping after surgery

CathyV
on 4/26/16 6:14 pm

I will (hopefully) be picking my surgery date soon. I have no idea how long the wait is here. My family takes a camping trip at the end of summer, the second week of August.  It's not physically strenuous. We stay in a cabin. But it's a two day car ride each way, we will be a few states away...I could bring shakes or whatever I need, but I don't want to be sick or struggling to keep things down. How long does that last? It's probably ridiculous to do anything but wait until after the trip, right? Sigh. I'm ready!!

Melanie

Eggface
on 4/26/16 8:57 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

I feel your excitement :) Yeah probably won't know how to prepare or whether to go on the trip till you know how far out you will be.

I will say this... if it's hot (dehydration risk) and/or not the most sanitary conditions you won't want to be there if you are still healing (infection risk) now if you are glamping then have fun ;) but if you aren't maybe take a pass this year and it will only make next year more awesome... oodles of pounds down and feeling great.

Not everyone is sick or struggles to keep things down... other than a day of the foamies I wasn't sick and have only thrown up a couple of times in 9 1/2 years. 

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

karenp8
on 4/27/16 4:54 am - Brighton, IL

Yes Melanie,you really won't know how you feel until after surgery. I'm about 4 years post op but had very little pain after surgery and have never thrown up or struggled with nausea. Of course I am a rule follower and measure my food carefully and don't overeat so that helps. Best of luck on your journey!

NYMom222
on 4/27/16 6:48 am
RNY on 07/23/14

As others have said, it is impossible to predict. One week after surgery I was feeling great, but was still having nausea on and off for at least a month... as well as just figuring out all the food stuff is hard emotionally and mentally... then moving to solids was hard physically... Eat slow, chew well, not dry...etc.

Don't know when you have to make your decision.... but I would wait until I had a date for surgery. I had a lot of events in the first 6 weeks after surgery, but they were all close to home. Didn't go away until 3 months after surgery- to visit my son and family and it was all good...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Kathyjs
on 4/27/16 6:32 pm

Go camping 

(deactivated member)
on 4/28/16 10:47 pm
Revision on 04/28/16

Melaine,

A two day car ride? You should be hanging in the AC at home, catching up on Netflix. Remember, you need to take care of you after surgery. If you really want to go, schedule your surgery after the family trip. Your surgery will be waiting for you when you get home. Too risky in my opinion.

Good Luck!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 487 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 447 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 456 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 401 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 113 views