What am I doing wrong?!

ancaandreea
on 4/27/16 5:19 pm
RNY on 02/23/16

Good evening RNYers, I haven't been on in a while because I've been a little down in the dumps...I had RNY Feb 23, including my preop diet I lost 38lbs. Sounds great right? WRONG... This is my 4th weigh in at 177 the scale won't budge for the life of me and it's starting to get really discouraging. I track food I'm at about 600cal a day, I eat MOSTLY protein because my pouch hates protein shakes since day one so I have to make up for it. I'm pretty good about what I eat, haven't ate any sweets and stayed away from carbs except for one onion ring which made me sick as hell felt like I ate a brick so don't worry that won't be repeated. Am I doing something wrong? I know people say stalls are normal but Jeez 4 weeks stalling so early out?! What can I do to get past this stall physically and mentally? Any suggestions appreciated. Here is a sample of what my menu looks like:

bfast:1/2 an egg or cheese or yogurt

morn snack: cheese stick, almonds, hummus w a veggie  or turkey

lunch: a meat and veggie (ex fish&brocolli, turkey&tomatoes, chicken or tuna salad, or bean salad )

pm snack: sometimes skipped - yogurt, turkey, or whatever protein

dinner: again a meat and veggie similar to what's listed at lunch

Sometimes for my snack I eat a fruit, grapes as of late since doc recommended adding some in to help move the bowels...sorry if tmi 

I also walk and I have an elliptical/bike duo I was using daily, have not for a week because I've had some swelling in my ankles and my cardiologist doesn't want me doing anything rigorous until blood results are in...

White Dove
on 4/27/16 5:36 pm - Warren, OH

Time to get a food scale and weigh the meat, veggies, salad, whatever you eat.  Weigh everything and then record it in My Fitness Pal.  If you are not losing, then you are eating too much.  It is easy to do.  Most of us stay at 800 calories a day or below during weight loss phase.  Then we eat about 1200 a day to maintain the loss.  It seems like you are eating a maintenance amount of calories and that is why you are not losing.  An extra ounce or two or meat at each meal can be the difference between losing or maintaining.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Kathyjs
on 4/27/16 6:16 pm

You have lost 38 pounds !!!!! You are doing great. I am sure your sizes are going down. Just keep doing what you are doing !!! 

leseratte
on 4/27/16 6:22 pm - Kingston, ON,, Canada

Hi there,

I had surgery on March 2, 2016 and I stalled from April 5th to April 25th - nearly 3 weeks in the really early stage! If I would not have read about these stalls here - I would have not stayed on the program....

This being said: you say you track your food and you stay around 600 calories. Maybe this is to little calories and your body is in survival mode.... Did you talk to your dietitian? I would recommend to go up to 800 calories a day and fill in some fiber?

Hang in there the stalls come and go!

RNY 03/02/2016

In Pounds: HW 296, SW 292, M1:-34, M2:-8, M3:-13, M4:-16, M5:-12, M6:-11, M7:-9, M8:-8, M9:-5, M10:-4

Grim_Traveller
on 4/28/16 2:59 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Starvation mode is utter nonsense. Continuously eating low calories results in losing weight. Period. People wither away. If you don't lose, you are either eating too much, or its temporary water retention from a temporary stall. Not starvation mode craziness.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

MonaLisaSmile
on 4/27/16 6:28 pm - Canada

I understand your frustration.  When trying to lose... I would avoid the fruit and grapes are very high in sugar....there are many laxatives and softeners , teas, etc that will help you with the Bm's (which is hell when you aren't going regularly...I know!!!)

I noticed recently the OH facebook page has an article listed about tips to break a stall, you could check that out.make sure you bump up the water or liquids as well.

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

Laura T.
on 4/27/16 6:53 pm - Carthage, NC

Plateaus are normal. It will soon be dropping off again. Keep up the good work. I wished I was at 170 something! Uggh. I've gained back to 230, now I can't get it back off. :(

Laura T
Whether therefore ye eat or drink, do all to the glory of God.  

Jo_Jo
on 4/28/16 6:51 pm
RNY on 02/09/16

I had a ten day stall and then participated in 'meat week'. It did the trick! I realize (for me) that fruit is evil, especially grapes - they went down so well, when nothing else would. Try some of the things that others suggested: Just use a stool softener if needed. Change things up a bit. Use the myfitnesspal app. Measure your food. The scale will move again. Jus****ch those carbs. Congrats on the 38 lbs!

4' 11" Female. Sw 238. Goal138. 

karin602
on 4/28/16 7:36 pm - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

I agree drop the fruit and use some product like Miralax, benefited or good old milk of magnesium. You might even add a magnesium supplement as it is hard to get enough in.  You may need to up your liquid consumption to offset the drain on your system. These products divert liquid to the bowels and it is no fun getting dehydrated. Iv fluids in the er are no fun. If you are not weighing your foods start. Get a tare scale. After a couple years I still measure because eyeballing two ounces is not accurate. I have tried and then weighed. Might get close but can be over or und e r an ounce or two. I aim to maintain. You will break the stall and be amazed just hang in and be 100% committed. This process works but everyone goes at their own pace. Another help up the exercise. Brisk walking and strength training definitely help. Was sidelined a bit after foot surgery but am working on getting 10,000 or more aerobic steps a day (probably premature as doc hasn't actually given me the go ahead but missed the workouts) have faith and you will make it. If I can lose over 150 pounds at 65 I know you can do this. Also stay off scale if you can for a week while doing all these right things. Then be amazed!

Karin

Sunqueen15
on 4/29/16 5:18 am
RNY on 03/21/16

Just a quick suggestion... If you know you arent going regularly, my doc said you must have a BM a day, make sure you take something to do so and incease your water A LOT! You'll see the scale move quickly!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 445 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 453 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 395 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 110 views
Forum Search Error & 404