Dumping syndrome?? Help!!!

Sally146
on 5/11/16 2:43 am

It seems no matter what I eat or how I eat Or how much I eat always feel nauseous with accelerated heart beat and dizziness and usually dierrhea 30-60 min after. What to me seems like dumping syndrome. Some of the foods I eat are:-
- Protein shake 0 carb 0 sugar
- Greek style yoghurt
- soft scrambled eggs
- lentil Soup (no potatoes)
- home made tomato soup
- no sugar added creamy porridge
- 0 sugar Jello
- cottage cheese

The only thing that I have managed to take in well is bone broth. I eat very small amount using only the tip of a small spoon each time. And no more than a total of 3-4 table spoons of food each time. Maximum 3 meals per day (that doesn't include water) and no I don't drink or eat at the same time.. Leave a gap between 15-30min between each. Is this normal??!

I have also noticed that I have a heightened sense of smell now and everything smells horrible to me. I am hating the taste of sweet things which is making it really really really difficult to drink my Protein shakes. I tried a sample of unjury chicken soup protein and the taste was horrible. I am just really finding it difficult to cope. Any advice?

Grim_Traveller
on 5/11/16 3:05 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I don't know what's causing it, but it is not dumping. Dumping only happens with sugar, or a simple carb that acts like sugar. You couldn't possibly dump from eggs, for instance.

If this is happeninggwith everything, you need to see your surgeon. Something else is going on.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

kerbear1969
on 5/11/16 4:00 am - MD

Could be two things you've eaten tomato soup, porridge/cottage cheese (milky products) both have caused me problems.  If I were you I would eliminate things one by one to see which one is causing it.  Sometimes you don't even realize that there is 1 ingredient in something that will cause this heart pounding/nausea sensation.  I don't envy you as its horrible and scary when it happens, I know.  Let us know after you do the "eliminatio challenge" what your trigger foods are.  Mine are carby type things, sugar and milk products

RNY 8/6/15 HW 304 LW 124lbs RW 165 CW 140 Weight loss stats: Liquid Pre-op -35, August-18, September-12, October-11, November-18, December-16, January-12, February-10, March-11, April -8, May-11, June-5 July-5,August-6

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/11/16 4:36 am, edited 5/11/16 1:36 am

As others said - it is not dumping. 

Food intolerances - maybe.  

I have food allergies.  If what I eat has some of stuff in it that I am allergic to- I may get reaction like elevated HBR, dizziness, itching...etc. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Daisydoo02
on 5/11/16 4:37 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Sounds like a dairy allergy or lactose intolerance problem.  Try to take some Lactaid pills before you eat any of those foods or as the other poster mentioned eliminate some of those foods and see if that helps.  Its not dumping, it sound like a food intolerance.

Sense of smell and taste often change after this surgery, it will eventually go away and you will go back to normal, I did.

Good luck, its hard at first but it takes time and lots of work and before long it will all seem like this is the new "normal"

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

White Dove
on 5/11/16 6:56 am, edited 5/10/16 11:56 pm - Warren, OH

You are ten days out of surgery and it is too soon to be trying to eat what you are eating.  Your stomach is still swollen and sore and you are making it worse with the foods you are putting in it.

I was allowed nothing but liquids for two weeks after surgery.  Then I started eating pureed foods and applesauce for another two weeks.

After a month I could eat small amounts of food.  For now just stick to the bone broth and lots of water.  It is good for you and your main concern now is staying hydrated.

You will have many years to eat solid foods again.  But you need to heal first.  One product that helped me is called Beneprotein that I ordered from Walgreens.  It is an unflavored protein and I added that to my broths.  You have to be careful doing that so it does not curdle. 

Even if your surgeon gave you a food plan and told you all of those foods are OK now, your body has its own agenda and needs time to heal.

PS:  Dumping does not occur with mini gastric bypass.  You are not dumping, just putting food into an unhealed stomach.  I tell people that if they had an open cut on their hand, they would keep it protected until it healed.  They would not be putting foods into it.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Deanna798
on 5/11/16 7:17 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I was on soft food at 2 weeks after surgery by my surgeons plan.  I had my surgery on a Tuesday and was on pureed foods on Saturday of the same week.  Every surgeon is different.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

White Dove
on 5/11/16 9:54 am - Warren, OH

I am not saying she is not following her plan.  I am saying that the symptoms she is having indicate that her stomach is not yet ready for the soft foods.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Sally146
on 5/11/16 11:26 am, edited 5/11/16 11:34 pm

Thanks for your reply. Yes this is the plan I was given by my NUT. I'll try and go back to liquid only diet. But currently even the protein shake causes the symptoms i described and I just made sure that my protein shake is lactose free, 0 carbs and 0 sugar. What can I substitute it with? Or maybe a different brand!? I have tried Beneprotein and couldn't tolerate it either. There is an after taste and I feel like I have a food aversion towards everything by now. Even the multivitamins 

as to MGB not causing dumping syndrome are you sure about that? Thing is not many people had MGB and from those who did and I was able to speak to them did say that they experienced bumping syndrome especially when they eat something containing sugar in it. I would love to hear that MGB does not cause dumping syndrome. I wasn't told about this side effect and I'm not ready for it

crafty_gal
on 5/12/16 5:20 am
RNY on 04/26/16

Have you tried ISOPURE? They're "clear" liquid protein drinks. I don't care for the taste, though some swear by them. Apple and Grape are apparently the favorites

HW: 333 Consult Weight: 318 SW: 293

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 476 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 440 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 440 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 382 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?