Dumping syndrome?? Help!!!

alwysquiet
on 5/13/16 3:32 pm
RNY on 04/06/16

There is also a water out there called "Trimino" that has about 8-9 grams of protein in it to help get your protein in and still be getting clear fluids as well.

Try ready-made shakes. It could be that the powder shakes are too heavy, creamy and/or sweet without you realizing it. I, myself, have needed to move to ready-made. Something else I have noticed as well, I cannot use anything with aspartame in it AT ALL and i have a bit of an intolerence to sucralose. I need to make sure if somthing has sucralose in it that it falls close to the end of the ingredients so as little as possible.

Something that has helped me as well, when you get back to the soft food stage, get yourself some "****tail" spoons. My local Wegman's grocery store sells them in a package of 4 or 6. These keep you true to small small bites without feeling like a "baby" spoon.

Remember, you are still healing and it is a learning curve for the next few months. You may find you will need to backtrack to a former stage.

White Dove
on 5/14/16 6:12 am - Warren, OH

What happens with MGB is people put too much food to quickly into their small stomach.  The food swells up and causes terrible pain.  The solution is to eat very small amounts of food very slowly.  If protein shakes are making you sick, drink just the broth for a few days. 

There are people who never drank a protein shake who did just fine with weight loss surgery.

Approach food again in very tiny amounts.  At three or four months out, you will be healed enough to eat large portions, but you will never again be able to eat large portions quickly.  A large portion is something like half of a sandwich or a hotdog with a bun.  You can eat that but will always have to eat slowly to avoid painful overstuffing of your small stomach.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Sally146
on 5/14/16 6:22 am

Well my doctor advised me yesterday to quit all protein shakes since they're causing the worst symptoms.. He said to try and concentrate into getting the protein from food instead.. I made a home made custard without the sugar today and that went fine.. I feel much better today probably because I'm not taking my protein shake. Will see how this goes in the coming days . Hopefully all goes well.. Thank you so much white dove and thanks to all in this forum for the help.. :)

White Dove
on 5/14/16 6:36 am - Warren, OH

I agree 100% with the custard and with no protein shakes for you.

I believe that you are going to continue to feel better.

Sally146
on 5/15/16 12:47 am

Just to update you. I am really feeling much better now that I have stopped my protein shakes and able to eat more (well compared to the last two weeks) I have not experienced what seemed like dumping syndrome even though I accidentally had the normal jello with sugar.. Just keeps me wondering what is it in the protein shakes that was causing all the symptoms??! Currently I will just try and focus into getting as much protein as I can directly from food. 

White Dove
on 5/15/16 5:11 am - Warren, OH

Greek yogurt was not widely available in 2007 when I had surgery.  Now it is in every grocery store.  I believe that it is a great resource for us.  I hope you are able to eat that.

It is hard to tell what in the protein shakes was causing problems.  Could be allergy to the type of protein, lactose intolerance or a reaction to the sweetener used in the shakes.  Could be something else.  I am glad you are off the shakes and feeling better.  As long as you are getting your water and protein, you should continue to improve and feel stronger each day.

kitty764
on 5/14/16 2:09 am
On May 11, 2016 at 4:54 PM Pacific Time, White Dove wrote:

I am not saying she is not following her plan.  I am saying that the symptoms she is having indicate that her stomach is not yet ready for the soft foods.

I agree 100%. You're over stuffing your pouch. 

Wow, protocol has changed over the years, I was slowly introduced to solids. (liquids 2wks, puree 2wks, and finally solids).

I will never forget the first time I ate solids, I was at Portillos, just stopped in to visit a manager friend, then decided to get grilled tuna, I figured it's good protein why not. I had 2 small bites and I felt like dying. I was sweating, shaking, I was in pain, I was drooling, and dry heaving in the bathroom and it finally it came up, it was awful, I thought for sure people thought I was possessed lol I may have put myself back on liquids for a while because I was so afraid to eat solids.  It still happens even after 12 years.

sarahpreston
on 5/15/16 12:53 pm - Lenexa, KS
Revision on 05/10/16

I'm so glad you are feeling better! I'm 5 days out from roux-en-y revision surgery and just started puréed foods. If you wanted another savory option, I really like the taste of Campbell's Beef Consommé (with the soups in the soup aisle, not with the broths). It has about 5 g of protein per cup because of the bone gelatin. I'm thinking of mixing in a little unflavored protein too for an added protein burst.  

I also really like Fairlife milk. I had my first RNY in 2010 and after that drinking milk always made me nauseous. But Fairlife milk doesn't, so yay!

As for the nausea, I keep a bottle of citrus essential oil close at hand and smell it to help my stomach. A lot of people also like peppermint. My sense of smell and taste are definitely more sensitive and it helps having the oil at hand to calm my stomach.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 418 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 368 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 421 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 8 replies · 64 views
Recent Topics