Getting discouraged!

Ohiodietguy
on 5/11/16 6:10 pm

Hello Everyone 

I am 7 mos post op RNY. 337 Feb 2015 Surgery date Oct 2015 318 lbs

Today I weigh 184 lbs.  I am so grateful for this surgery!! It has completely changed my life.

l am exercising (cardio) 90 minutes per day 20,000 steps per day.  I know you guys will say " that is just Head Hunger"

I am ravenous and Hungry all of the time. I have gone from 800 calories per day up to 1000 now I'm up to 1400 calories per day . My appetite has returned full force and there is no end in sight.

Even if it is head hunger I am still Eating constantly.  Has anyone else experienced the return of their appetite and hunger  at 7 mos? Is it just all of the exercising?  Any advice? Very concerned that I am going to regain the weight. Thanks for letting me vent :)

Starting Weight 337  Current Weight 178.4 BMI 22.3 

rocky513
on 5/11/16 7:37 pm - WI

If you are eating simple carbs like bread, pasta, rice, crackers, sugary foods, etc. they will make you hungry and crave more of the same.  Go back to protein and veggies ONLY for a while.  It will be hard at first but, in a few weeks, your cravings will disappear.

Don't forget to drink a minimum of 64 ounces of water daily.  Sometimes thirst feels like hunger to us.  Drink a glass of water before you go grab an extra snack to see if if curbs your hunger.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

kerbear1969
on 5/12/16 3:16 am - MD

Im 10 months out and I have the same feeling however I grab for liquids instead of food ie:crystal light or something like that.  I have occasional found myself grazing here and there and stopped that in its tracks.  I eat a shake for breakfast a quest bar usually for lunch or chick fil a grilled nuggets 3-4 tops then dinner and IF i don't get enough protein in for the day I may do a 1/2 shake before dinner.  YOU are in control, not your mind it is what got you where you were to begin with.  Slow down on the excersize maybe do less times per week and drink plenty of fluids/water, take up another hobby or call a friend when you feel that sensation.  Its working for me, whenever I think Im hungry at an odd time or after I've already eaten I think ummm no no no no you didn't rearrange your intestinal tract to fail again, usually that jolts me back and I grab a water/drink packet or I stop and get a coffee with creamer and splenda.  

RNY 8/6/15 HW 304 LW 124lbs RW 165 CW 140 Weight loss stats: Liquid Pre-op -35, August-18, September-12, October-11, November-18, December-16, January-12, February-10, March-11, April -8, May-11, June-5 July-5,August-6

SkinnyScientist
on 5/12/16 4:29 am

HI!  I am a hyper-exerciser too (I am training for a marathon in October). 

I too experience this. Here is what I do.

1) Listen to Rocky about simple carbs and water. It really is all true. 

2) Before an exercise session- I eat maybe 1/4-1/2 cup of an Egg dish with cucumbers and Quinoa in it about 1-2 hours before I work out. There is protein, fiber and SLOW CARBS in it to give you energy to power through those long exercise sessions (for me today it will be a 30 minute recovery run + a 30 minute abs class + 1 hour body pump...i.e. a 2 hour exercise session).  IMMEDIATELY after exercising (i.e. within 20 minutes) I have a PROTEIN shake made with water and my favorite protein powder (gold standard strawberry).  I will take a few swigs of this while getting undressed before the shower, shower, and fini**** off wiht I get out of the shower. THIS IS MY LUNCH (i.e. my eggs and my shake).

3) If I get ravenous in the day later. I will have raw zucchini or cucumber chopped into coins or red bell pepper and a bit of tzaki (again lots of fiber, water, and a bit of protein). This has no fast carbs in it.

4) If I am getting hypoglycemic (I get shaky, easily confused, stupid and unmotivated), I will eat a really really tiny honeycrisp apple WITH havarti cheese (to slow down the faster carb..this is a sweet apple afterall). I maybe have to do this, once a week.

This is my plan and I have maintained between 139-142 lbs depending on my cycle and bathroom habits.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/12/16 4:50 am

Intense cardio burns mostly sugar. Low BS would cause Real hunger.. 

How about changing to other forms of exercise - do some intense cardio - then add weight lifting, or other exercise that are more muscle building? 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

RNY_elizabeth
on 5/12/16 8:42 am - TX
RNY on 10/06/15

I had my RNY the same month as you.  I am starting to notice that I feel much more interested in eating and more often than I did since surgery.  I am trying to add more water and reduce carbs like the posters before me suggested and it is helping.  You are not alone.  RNY didn't fix my thoughts...that I get the opportunity to do on my own. It is sad to recognize that the 'golden' window of weight just falling away and almost no hunger may be coming to its natural and expected end. I think the next year will be a lots of effort and a lot of reward. We can do this!!

~Elizabeth

Consultation weight: 265, Surgery date: 10/6/15, Goal: 150, Current weight: 129; 5'5, 46 years old

"I am basically food's creepy ex-girlfriend. I know we can't be together anymore but I just want to spend time hanging out" ~me, about why I love cooking so much post WLS

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 367 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 324 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 389 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 324 views