Confession of pre op diet

Kelley425
on 5/30/16 5:20 pm

Ok, so i started my pre op diet wendsday although ive changed my eating ALOT i still am having trouble with this diet and have not been perfect on the dr orders... they want me to drink 2 of these NASTY NASTY protien shakes for lunch and dinner 8-12 ounces than 4 ounce of a meat and veggies for dinner.. buy the time lunch comes around im so hungry my brain takes over and i want to cheat altough i go to the protien shake and eat some raw veggies on the side... the week wasnt all that bad but i get home i have a toddler as well and im taking bites here and there of things.. so i was moving into my new place this weekend and had a salad for lunch yesterday and whole grain pasta with butter and garlic for dinner.. and still my 2 protien shakes and a fiber one bar a couple tortilla chips and sugar free jello :/ today i ate a pita from jack in the box which is 380 calories the best thing i can find i was so hungry and just go go go.. went grocery shopping got some stuff and came home and ate.. please no mean words just some encouragment and help here.. ive already wrote about having a hard time but this weekend killed it.. i feel like. Just hoping for a better day tomorrow. Im going to be back at work so hopefully easier or am i already screwed. Im only 5 pounds down per my scale

Age - 27 CW - 281 GW - 160 

Surgery Date - June 8th 2016

pammieanne
on 5/30/16 5:38 pm - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

The pre-op diet is hard. Can you have sugar free jello and Popsicles???

You really need to stop cheating on it. Not only are you prepping your body for a pretty intense surgery on your digestive system, but more importantly, you are conditioning your head for post op life. You will have cravings, and you will still react to the smells around you. If you follow the diet now, one of the things you will accomplish is getting the carb monster off your back. Don't eat those chips and pasta (whole wheat or not)... You don' t want to eat them after surgery. So if you stop eating them now, then the cravings will be less and less after surgery.

Drink twice as much water than you want. Eat the jello and Popsicles if you can... And hang in there, because this too shall pass! Of course, after surgery you can't eat at all and the shakes get so hard to drink. I am on puréed/soft foods now... It's easier, but still a challenge.

The surgery is not a magical act that will take away all your urges to eat. I'm definitely learning that right now, as I'm two weeks post op :)

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

Kelley425
on 5/30/16 5:42 pm

Thank you.. your right i do need to stop and i keep telling myself that its the moving weekend that killed it for me and tomorrow is a new day.. i went and bough sugar free popsicles and jello :) so that will def help and with moving i didnt have much in my house so i ate what i had,  i will be good from here going forward

April Parker
on 5/30/16 5:40 pm - Gaffney, SC
RNY on 06/20/16

I won't be mean but I will say not following your Dr.s orders is likely to get your surgery cancelled! 

BTW, I wish I could eat on my pre op diet... I can't. I can only have shakes, broth, and jellp or sf popsicles! I start that on the 6th. Phew, gonna be hard but I refuse to eat anything bc I don't want my surgery cancelled!

You can do this. But do tell your doctor, being honest will help.

HW- 283    SW- 264     GW- 130

Kelley425
on 5/30/16 5:50 pm

Its very hard and i was actually excited to start it and was like i got this no big deal... ive been on numerous diets even one that was 500 calorie restricted and lost 40 pounds but with appetite suppressants. This seemed easier mentally to do till i actually started it and im miserable. Ive still changed my eating the last 6 days alot.. so i havent done so much to where i believe my surgery would get cancelled.. ive had to be doing something right ive lost a pound a day... but i just need some motivation to keep on a better track with absolutely no cheating and my protien shakes i got definitely are making this harder. I gag everytime i take a drink. You will see how difficult this is once you start.. i do hope you do great.. i also am cooking for my 2 year old and my goodness thats hard not to bite here and there when i feel like im starving :(

sheriberi29
on 5/31/16 11:22 am - Cleveland, TN

I agree. I have 2 year old twins and I'm a month post op. It is very difficult and takes so much willpower not to just snag a tiny spoon of their Mac and cheese or something but I try to tell myself that I've tasted it all before and it's just not worth it. I thought it would be easier after my surgery but your head is such a powerful thing. I understand . Gotta get your mind right. And it's tough!! But you can do it

Banded 6/9/09 HW 242 LW 142 Revision 198 m 1 loss 16 lbs 182. M 2 loss 4 lbs 178. M3 loss 6 lbs 174.m4 loss 4 lbs 168. M5 gain 2 lbs 170. M6 loss 7 lbs 163 M7 loss 5 lbs 159 M8 loss 1 lb 158 M9 loss 0 M10 155 loss 3 M11 154 loss 1 M12 loss 2 152 M13 loss 3 149 M16, 17 0 loss M 18 loss 4 lbs 145 (18 months 53 lbs)

The Salty Hag
on 5/30/16 6:40 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

Eating jello with a spoon really went a long way in making me feel like I was still able to "eat" after my surgery, so maybe you can use that trick before? ( Sort of like a mind over matter thing. "I'm using a spoon-therefore...I'm able to eat!" ) It gave me the hand-to-mouth action needed to feel "normal" and helped keep me from thinking "Ahh, I can only have liquids!" and kept me from feeling "deprived" since I was "eating". Does that even make sense? I'm not great at getting my point across these days. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Kelley425
on 5/30/16 7:12 pm

Haha yes that made sense to me.. my diet isnt all liquid. That i just couldn't imagine. I still get unlimited non statchy veggies and sugar free jello.. i made rasberry last night and love it. And so does my son!!! Yay! Something we can enjoy together right now. I also just got some sugar free popsicles which are very enjoyable. Im seeing the light i have 9 days till surgery pray for me

SkinnyScientist
on 6/4/16 8:08 am

April. You are too kind. I cant even address the OP. If you are cheating and "cant hack it now" what is going to happen when the REAL DEAL comes along.

You want it or you dont.

The OP's behavior says "Dont"

Actions speak louder than words. Talk is cheap.  Get with your surgeons plan

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Sweet_Savannah
on 5/30/16 6:47 pm

The pre op diet is horrible, and very hard.  I was on full liquids for 2 weeks, then clear liquids the day before surgery with bowel prep.  Just keep telling yourself it's worth it, you can do this.  It's only temporary, and it really will get you ready for the liquid diet after the surgery.  I cheated a couple of times too, it's not the end of the world.  Just get on track from here on out.  You can do this girl!  I promise it's so worth it.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 473 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 425 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 428 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 337 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?