Revision RNY to RNY 08/15/16 making pouch 1.5 oz. Can I still lose weight?

Charmaine C.
on 6/8/16 1:00 pm - Columbus, OH

Revision RNY to RNY 08/15/16 making pouch 1.5 oz. ??????

I'm having a Revision from RNY to RNY 08/15/16 making pouch 1.5 oz. due to enlarged stoma. My surgeon told me that I may not lose as much weight as before. Because must people who had revision lose little to no weight, but the issue is fix.

I don't understand how I will not loss weight with a new pouch. Can someone offer their opinion or been through this.

Thanks

White Dove
on 6/8/16 1:50 pm - Warren, OH

By the time they get revision people have already learned how eat more than the calories needed to maintain.  They get their calories from carbs and slider foods instead of from dense protein. 

In order to lose weight, you would have to reduce the calories that you are taking in.

With your first surgery, you had malabsorption for about two years.  So you still lost weight even with eating more than your body needed.  By around year three after surgery the malabsorption goes away and weight starts to come back.

People can pack a lot of calories into the small pouch and the pouch will quickly grow to a larger size of about eight to twelve ounces.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Charmaine C.
on 6/8/16 2:26 pm - Columbus, OH

I agree with everything your saying. My pouch been 8 ounces for the last 9 years. 3 years ago I start gaining weight and I would look at what I was doing and notice I ate more and the weight came on. and it was all because of the enlarge stoma.

I know with proper eating healthy, exercise and determination, I can lose the weight.

White Dove
on 6/8/16 3:07 pm - Warren, OH

Once the stoma is repaired you should not feel as hungry.  Eating mostly dense protein will help a lot.  What works for me is weighing myself daily and keeping calories at 1300 to maintain and 800-900 per day to lose.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Charmaine C.
on 6/8/16 3:14 pm - Columbus, OH

Great!! I just think the doctor tells you the good and the bad with having the revision. So I don't know why I always think of the worst because I'm nervous but I'm going to keep faith.

Laura in Texas
on 6/8/16 7:32 pm

You have to make a promise to yourself to eat less. Period. Track your food. Every bite. No excuses.

Many people who have revisions have gone back to their old habits. They are looking for a quick fix- a magic surgery- so that they do not have to do any "work". I believe that is why people who have revisions lose little to no weight.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Charmaine C.
on 6/9/16 7:06 am - Columbus, OH

Thanks for the response. I believe the reason why my doctor said good and bad things about the revision it's to let me know that there can be failures. He told me that most of his patience has failed a revision back to old habits and they get upset with him. So I have mentally and physically been getting myself prepared for this again. I start taking bariatric class to get myself prepared and seeing the dietitian so now I think I'm ready for this second chance. Once again thank you

Laura in Texas
on 6/9/16 9:27 am

You can do it!! 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

siberiancat
on 6/9/16 8:17 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I'm 7+ years out and at goal.  My pouch is 2-3 ounces (just had endoscopy prior to a small intestine resection surgery and my bariatric surgeon measured it).

The size of the pouch limits the quantity of solid food you can eat at time - but you can eat multiple times during the day and drink liquids with calories, and take in more food/calories/carbs/fat, etc. and gain weight.  So I don't see the size of your pouch making you lose weight.

The malabsorption from the small intestine bypass from RNY is what causes the nutrients to not be absorbed the first 12-18 months and that is where the rapid weight loss happens.

After the "honeymoon" period the small intestine "adapts" and grows villa and absorbs the nutrients from what you eat - and weight loss stops and weight regain can happen.

Even with making your pouch smaller - I would think you could only lose weight by counting calories, eating protein first then veggies.  Eliminating "white" flour, sugar, pasta, bread, cookies, cakes, bagels, etc.  It had to be a change in lifestyle for me.  I keep a food diary and count calories, grams of carbs, grams of protein and ounces of fluid.

You no longer have malabsorption and changing the size of your pouch will not effect malabsorption.

Best wishes to you,

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Charmaine C.
on 6/9/16 8:43 am - Columbus, OH

My surgeon is also going to cut where the small intestine is enlarge. S . Would that fix the malabsorption?

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 501 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 386 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 440 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 32 replies · 405 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 21 replies · 79 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?