NG tube after surgery

Kellymccloskey
on 6/23/16 12:59 pm
RNY on 05/18/16

I am 5 weeks post-op and am struggling with getting protein down. I've been hospitalized twice for dehydration because I am struggling a lot with nausea. I haven't been able to drink a protein drink so I've been trying to drink a breakfast drink that has protein and I haven't been able to get that down either, only about 2 oz a day. My doctor mentioned that an NG tube to help get the nutrition is a possibility (which I've had before during my pregnancy). Does anyone have any experiences with needing this after surgery?

NANNY13
on 6/23/16 3:44 pm
WLS on 12/21/15

I am so sorry that you are struggling!

I have not had any of those issues. I have always consistently been a water drinker so no problems getting my fluids in. I just now have been able to drink my water occasionally cold. I used to love cold water but now the pouch likes room temperature or warm liquids.

It is more important for you to get the fluids in than the protein right now so you can stay out of the hospital. The good news is that everything counts! Broth, jello, sf popsicles, and even that 2 oz of the protein drink. You need to drink and walk like it is your new full time job!

What kind of things did you like to sip on before the surgery? However you need to get it down. A lot of RNY use crystal light or something similar to that if the water isn't going down by itself.

Is your Dr. giving you something for nausea? Are you taking any other meds like pain pills or whatever? Sometimes those can have an effect, too.

Keep us updated on your progress so we can encourage you on your path.

You are doing the right thing by coming in here and someone who has been where you are will more than likely respond soon. In the meantime we are here routing for you and you are going to make it on the other side of this in no time at all!

Ereiam
on 6/24/16 6:34 am
RNY on 05/16/16

I'm 6 weeks out and those first few weeks were awful with nausea. I was taking Zofran and sometimes that didn't even help. I finally figured out that the nausea happened whenever I drank my protein shakes. I read about people who develop lactose intolerance after RNY. I switched my protein to whey isolate and my milk to almond milk and feel so much better. Something to think about it.

SW: 270 CW: 181.4 GW: 165

RNY 5/16/16

BE NOT AFRAID JPII

Kellymccloskey
on 6/24/16 7:55 am
RNY on 05/18/16

Thank you for your input. I was thinking that maybe it was a lactose problem, although I am able to eat cheese so I'm not sure.

wendy44
on 6/24/16 4:17 pm
RNY on 12/19/14

I had an NG tube due to nausea. It was exactly what I needed to get over the hump to recovery. It was no big deal, but made me feel so much better. I had the tube for about a month and it enabled me to get the strength that I needed to recover. You can also eat with the tube, so it is just a boost towards getting what you need until you can take it the proper amounts.

Good luck!!!

Wendy

karenp8
on 6/24/16 5:00 pm - Brighton, IL

Most times cheese and sometimes yogurt won't bother those with lactose in tolerances because of the way they are made.

NYMom222
on 6/24/16 9:02 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I use Fairlife Milk which is higher protein, lower carbs and lactose free. You are 5 weeks out are you eating any food? I was on all foods except for salad by 5 weeks. Protein drinks aren't a must. Fluids are... Not having enough fluids is probably why you are nauseous. It is a vicious cycle.

Fluids don't have to be water- whatever you can tolerate... flavor it - hot-cold-room temp, whatever is easier. During the first year I had to leave a drink on my nightstand so I could start drinking as soon as I woke up, as I had so much trouble getting fluids in...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Leafs2016
on 6/25/16 2:00 pm

Try GNC protein water.  Dehydration causes nausea.  Get the water intake up and see if it helps the nausea.  

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 526 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 455 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 330 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 324 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 5 replies · 39 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?