Not hunger. Acid???

Ereiam
on 6/25/16 5:46 am
RNY on 05/16/16

So yesterday I posted that I was feeling physically hungry and I tried some dense protein and no relief. After a while I realized my stomach was burning. I had forgotten Prilosec two days in a row. I took a Zantac and that quickly calmed my stomach down. Now I'm back to Prilosec twice a day. I had such severe gastritis before surgery and clearly it hasn't healed yet. My question is, will it ever heal, or I need to stay on Prilosec forever? Are there negative consequences to staying on Prilosec long term?

SW: 270 CW: 181.4 GW: 165

RNY 5/16/16

BE NOT AFRAID JPII

White Dove
on 6/25/16 8:18 am, edited 6/25/16 1:20 am - Warren, OH

Yes there negative consequences to staying on Prilosec long term.  Kidney and liver problems have been identified.

To get rid of gastritis you will need to identify and eliminate the foods that cause it.  Start working on it immediately.  Doctors are telling their patients to stop taking PPI's.  There are many lawsuits being filed against the companies that produce the medicines.  At some point PPI's may be taken completely off the market.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Phatchick
on 6/25/16 9:23 am - Brookfield, IL
VSG on 04/16/12
On June 25, 2016 at 3:18 PM Pacific Time, White Dove wrote:

Yes there negative consequences to staying on Prilosec long term.  Kidney and liver problems have been identified.

To get rid of gastritis you will need to identify and eliminate the foods that cause it.  Start working on it immediately.  Doctors are telling their patients to stop taking PPI's.  There are many lawsuits being filed against the companies that produce the medicines.  At some point PPI's may be taken completely off the market.

Went and had labs done due to PPI use and all were normal. Then saw my doctor regarding contraindications and risks due to long term use with PPI. He explained these issues can happen but are rare and because the pain from GERD and reflux are so bad without their use, you have to decide what is more important. I don't get GERD from eating. I get it even if I drink water because of a my sleeve and a hernia pushing acid into my stomach and up my esophagus. My quality of life is my golden standard. Hugs!

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/25/16 9:42 am

Try to identify foods that may cause that. 

I am 8 years post op and I had to be on and off PPI... Last 6-8  months, after back surgery I developed a severe gastritis/GERD.  Not sure why... But I had to be put on very strong PPI.  I also had to change meds, and identify foods that made my gastritis worse.. (i. e. coffee, red wine, etc) 

It is getting better - and I am back on OTC PPI...but I am supper careful what I eat. I have food allergies and avoiding foods I am allergic to is critical. 

Sone meds I was on - I had to discontinue, some - generic - I had to switch to another brand to avoid some fillers I become supper sensitive to. (different brands may use different fillers) 

It is a learning curve... 

For some -RNY cured their GERD.  I got GERD after RNY...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 486 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 446 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 455 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 399 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 111 views
Forum Search Error & 404