Question About Types of Food

Karen9849
on 7/10/16 7:58 am

Hi,

I am still going through my pre-qualification testing if you will.  To be honest, i've slowed things down because i'm not certain I wan't to go through with this yet.  I do a question about what you can and can't eat after surgery.  I've seen post that people had spaghetti and potato salad on the "What's on your menu" post.  I thought all carbs were out of the question or you would dump?  Is this not the case, does this change over time?  Do you only dump in the early days, then you can eat carbs?

The reason i'm afraid of the surgery is, I only have 60-70 lbs to lose, and i'm afraid once the weight starts to come off, I won't be able to stop it.  Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Laura in Texas
on 7/10/16 8:41 am

For 99% of us, our bodies know when to stop. By year 3, I can probably count on one hand the number of people here that have honestly gotten "too thin". Fear of regaining weight is a more logical fear. It happens to a lot of us.

I am almost 8 years out. I can eat anything in moderation.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Karen9849
on 7/10/16 11:50 am

Thank you Laura that makes me feel better.  I know deep down it's the right choice for me and I was totally committed to doing this, and now I am starting to go over the "What if's".

hollykim
on 7/10/16 9:31 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 10, 2016 at 2:58 PM Pacific Time, Karen9849 wrote:

Hi,

I am still going through my pre-qualification testing if you will.  To be honest, i've slowed things down because i'm not certain I wan't to go through with this yet.  I do a question about what you can and can't eat after surgery.  I've seen post that people had spaghetti and potato salad on the "What's on your menu" post.  I thought all carbs were out of the question or you would dump?  Is this not the case, does this change over time?  Do you only dump in the early days, then you can eat carbs?

The reason i'm afraid of the surgery is, I only have 60-70 lbs to lose, and i'm afraid once the weight starts to come off, I won't be able to stop it.  Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

only about 30% of ppl with rny dump. 

Mnot all carbs cause dumping. It is mostly sugar or things that turn to sugar quickly. It is trial and error for most ppl.

Karen9849
on 7/10/16 11:53 am

Thank you Holly,

Those are much better odd's than I thought would dump.  I was under the impression that most dumped.  What happens during a dumping session?  Do you need to run to the emergency room?  I am scared to death, I will be at work when it happens and don't know what to do.  It would not be like I could go lay down until it passes.  

hollykim
on 7/10/16 1:49 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 10, 2016 at 6:53 PM Pacific Time, Karen9849 wrote:

Thank you Holly,

Those are much better odd's than I thought would dump.  I was under the impression that most dumped.  What happens during a dumping session?  Do you need to run to the emergency room?  I am scared to death, I will be at work when it happens and don't know what to do.  It would not be like I could go lay down until it passes.  

no it is not an emergency room situation. You might feel like you are going to pass out,clammy,upset stomach,maybe diarrhea. It is different for everyone. Many,myself included have what is know as a "carb coma" where you feel totally zonked and really have to lay down and sleep it off. 

Beat way to avoid an episode at work? Never eat carbs or other sugars while there. It is controlled completely by what is eaten. You control the likelihood by your food choices.

(deactivated member)
on 7/14/16 9:38 pm

The bottom line is you never eat again what made you feel so awful the first time lol ... Its A REAL LEARNING EXPERIENCE

Han Shot First
on 7/12/16 6:10 pm - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

When I was going through all of my pre-op classes, my group definitely implied that most people dumped.  I think it was a little white lie to try to keep us away from sugar.  At this point, I've added small amounts of breads and wraps, but only whole grain and high fiber.  I still won't go anywhere near pasta, in part because it's not really that healthy, and part because I don't trust myself to have any.  I'd rather just stay away.

--

150 lost and maintaining!

Grim_Traveller
on 7/12/16 6:59 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Same here. I have some bread once in a while as a meat delivery vehicle, but haven't touched pasta in over 4 years.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

peachpie
on 7/10/16 1:38 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

As others said not everyone dumps-- and each persons physical experience with dumping is different. For the most part I don't dump. When I do have a reaction it's generally to white carbs (i.e.-crackers) or fats. My heart rate increases. With fats (fried foods) I get GI upset. I can work through either scenario-- it took me a while to "hear" what my body was telling me since the response was so subtle-- but it was defnetly present

most if us avoid carbs, I don't each spaghetti or potatoes. But I'll occasionally have a spoonful or two of ice cream (most I can tolerate). You'll learn what works for you. 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 760 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 322 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 493 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 272 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 89 views