4 1/2 years out and suddenly gaining! HELP!

Cheryl C.
on 7/21/16 7:55 am - NY
RNY on 02/29/12 with

I had RNY 4 1/2 years ago.  Was awesomely successful.  Got to a comfortable, easy to maintain weight, and life was good.  Since last fall, I've gained back 30 pounds!  YES!  in less than a year...  I feel horrible.  I look horrible.  My clothes are all too tight.  I had to shop in THAT section of the store again.  I'm so depressed.  Any advice on how to kick start myself and get those 30 pounds back off?  I'm NOT happy!!!!  Appreciate any help...I want to fix this NOW, before it gets worse.  

Cher    

The Salty Hag
on 7/21/16 8:13 am
RNY on 05/20/13

5 Day Meat test

This will help you jump start losing weight. It focuses solely on dense protein, which is what we need. 

I'd gained 15 lbs over the last year, and I've lost 8 lbs of that so far following this. It's not a fad, or anything nefarious...it's really how we need to eat. The website was designed by a VSG post-op here, so it will work for all surgeries. 

Good luck! 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Cheryl C.
on 7/21/16 9:42 am - NY
RNY on 02/29/12 with

Thank you, Audrey!  I'll give that a go.  It is protein ONLY?  What about veggies?  Complex carbs?  My two biggest concerns are, and not to be too personal, but, I really want to make sure I don't back-up the plumbing, so to speak...that, and I have a VERY sensitive tummy, and take daily meds.  I need something for them to land on, and usually look to carbs for that cushion.  I'm guessing I'll need to find a protein alternative, and hope my tummy doesn't rebel on me.

Thanks so much for your help!

C

Cher    

hollykim
on 7/21/16 9:54 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 21, 2016 at 4:42 PM Pacific Time, Cheryl C. wrote:

Thank you, Audrey!  I'll give that a go.  It is protein ONLY?  What about veggies?  Complex carbs?  My two biggest concerns are, and not to be too personal, but, I really want to make sure I don't back-up the plumbing, so to speak...that, and I have a VERY sensitive tummy, and take daily meds.  I need something for them to land on, and usually look to carbs for that cushion.  I'm guessing I'll need to find a protein alternative, and hope my tummy doesn't rebel on me.

Thanks so much for your help!

C

complex carbs and carbs begs is what is causing you to gain? 

Eating fruit? Pure sugar.

The Salty Hag
on 7/21/16 9:56 am
RNY on 05/20/13

I can do the meat and cheese option with no problems, but you know your body best. The fat in the dairy, along with a morning dose of Miralax in my coffee helps keep me from getting stopped up. I had a partial blockage last year before I started with the Miralax, but have been fine since.

Since you asked about complex carbs, etc, I'll answer...I think as long as you still focus on protein, but have a small amount of non-starchy veggies after, avoid simple carbs and grains ( even whole grains ) avoid processed carby foods like bread, pasta, rice...avoid sugar, and limit portions, you'll be on your way to losing that regain. I'd also limit or avoid fruit, but that's something I need to do since I get sick from fruit sugar. And upping water intake is a good idea also, both in terms of hydration and helping to avoid being constipated.

Log your food into myfitnesspal or the method you prefer..just log it. It helps with the weight loss to see exactly what and how much you're eating. 

Hope this helps. I know how frustrating it can be to lose regained weight, but this method has really helped people here, myself included. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/21/16 10:05 am

and carbs are mostly likely what is causing the regain.  

I use miralax daily with my coffee to make sure my BM is regular.  

you can make low carbs food that can help with meds.. i.e.  egg omelet..scrambled, with bacon..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

mute
on 7/21/16 8:30 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I'm going to ditto the meat thing. Because it's back to basics. I'm not that far out myself obviously but when I find myself doing anything that is not helping I automatically just eat more meat. Because it works!

Good luck!

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

White Dove
on 7/21/16 8:35 am, edited 7/21/16 1:37 am - Warren, OH

The reality of RNY is that we need to get to a comfortable easy to maintain weight and then go 10, 20 or 30 pounds under that weight.  That can mean looking "too skinny" for a while.

The body recovers from the surgery and struggles to regain its lost weight.  Having a cushion for the bounce-back regain makes it easier to deal with.

The five-day meat test will give you a good start on how to eat again. The 30 pound gain will take about 30 weeks of eating 500 calories a day less than your body burns to get rid of the 30 pounds. 

So you are looking at being back at your old weight by next spring, if you start today. 

The formula that I use is to allow 10 calories per day for every pound that I want to maintain.  I use 1400 for 140 pounds and subtract 500.  If I stay at 900 calories a day, then I drop a pound a week. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Oxford Comma Hag
on 7/21/16 8:40 am

I third the meat plan. I lost my five pound regain with it, and I don't have nearly as many carb cravings.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

crqvingchange
on 7/21/16 8:52 am

Absolutely the Five Day Meat Test is the way to go.  It has helped so many get back on track and lose the craving monster.  Bonus is that it's summer and perfect for grilling.  Cook extra to have a snacks.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 516 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 397 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 250 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics