pain ... and driving ... after surgery

gbarron56
on 7/21/16 11:35 am
RNY on 10/20/16

Hi everyone, I'm scheduled for  RNY on August 25th, about 5 weeks from now. When I asked the nurse about driving after surgery she hold me that I would be able to drive after I was no longer on narcotics and was able to use my right foot (whatever that means). So my question is, how much pain did you have after surgery, how long were you on the narcotics, and at what point were you able to start driving again? I am a single mom and don't have any family living near me. And although I can call upon friends when I need to, I really don't want to be a burden on anyone. I'm trying to plan ahead and make sure I have all my bases covered. Thanks, Gretchen

White Dove
on 7/21/16 11:47 am - Warren, OH

I was on a pain pump the first day at the hospital and never took any pain pills there or after I went home.   I was able to drive from day I went home.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

seattledeb
on 7/21/16 11:48 am

Be a burden. Don't set yourself up to not be able to take pain medicine. The time will vary but there is no way to know that in advance. Bodies in pain do not heal as fast.

Good luck with your surgery.

Deb

Laura in Texas
on 7/21/16 1:59 pm

I took narcotics for a week and Tylenol during week 2. Find help for the first week at least. I am also a single mom. I think the time I took to rest in the beginning helped me recover more quickly.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Danna78
on 7/21/16 2:16 pm

I am six days post op... And even though my hubby has stayed home this week to help with the boys I still tried to push too fast to "feel better"  because I felt bad that I was asking so much of him. I didn't think my pain was as bad as it actually was and I wanted to "do"  something. 

So 4 days post op I tried to join them on their visit to the Dr's which is a 40 minute drive.   I am still taking my pain meds and for the first 20 minutes everything seemed fine and then bam I felt like I was going to pass out.   Thankfully I was not driving.  I have my one week follow up tomorrow and hubby will be driving me.   I am still taking my meds and I am giving in to the fact that I need to ask for help... From my kids and my friends 

It may feel like a burden... But in the long run I know I will feel better faster by following the rules properly... Like I should have I  the first place! 

Best of luck with your surgery and recovery! 

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/21/16 2:33 pm

I was able to drive app 1 week post op. Not too far and still kept a small pillow between my belly and the seat belt...  that or a folded blanket. it kept the seatbelt from pushing too hard on my incisions.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

MonaLisaSmile
on 7/21/16 7:03 pm, edited 7/21/16 12:04 pm - Canada

I took a small amt of liquid Tylenol for 2 days, I drove on my 3rd day home.....so 5 days post op.  It's very individual.  Drive when you are off pain meds and feeling alert and safe to be on the roads.  You will know when you are ready.  I'm also sure your friends won't see you as a burden, don't be afraid to take help when it's offered.

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

NYMom222
on 7/22/16 7:22 pm, edited 7/22/16 12:22 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I had surgery on a Wednesday and only took one narcotic pill after the hospital when I got home Friday night. The first time I drove was on  Monday afternoon, after my follow up appointment.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 364 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 291 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 388 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 480 views