Drinking alcohol

Kelley425
on 7/30/16 3:03 pm

Has anyone drank a little at 7 1/2 weeks? If so how did it react to you?

seattledeb
on 7/30/16 3:57 pm

No. I wanted to keep losing weight.

Kelley425
on 7/30/16 4:11 pm

As we all do. Doesnt mean i dont think about taking a little drink and getting a buzz with my friends on a saturday night.. a drink will prevent you from forever again losing weight?

hollykim
on 7/30/16 4:19 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 30, 2016 at 11:11 PM Pacific Time, Kelley425 wrote:

As we all do. Doesnt mean i dont think about taking a little drink and getting a buzz with my friends on a saturday night.. a drink will prevent you from forever again losing weight?

depends on what forever is. If you are " forever" having a drink your lack of loss will be forever.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/31/16 2:33 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

You won't be able to drink like your friends again ever. You will get buzzed on very little, then what will you do for the rest of the night?, because I'm pretty sure they'll keep on drinking.

It's way, way too early to be even thinking of drinking now. Your honeymoon period won't last forever, why not get to goal first b4 experimenting with drinks.

Your body is going thru a lot of stress right now just processing the rapid weight loss, why tax your liver even more cuz you want to drink with your friends? I'm sure they want you healthy too.

I'm not saying drinking will be off the table forever, but it should definitely be back on the shelf for now.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

rocky513
on 7/30/16 4:37 pm - WI

While you are in the rapid weight loss phase after surgery, you liver is having to work extra hard processing out the fat and toxins.  If you had your liver enzymes  tested, they would likely be higher than normal.  

It would not be very smart to add alcohol on top of an already over taxed liver.  Doing so could cause very serious complications.  

You can go out and have fun with your friends without alcohol.  When you signed up for this surgery, you agreed to follow the rules.  You decided that surgery was the best choice for you to get healthy.  Why would you jeopardize that good health for a "little buzz"?  

Drinking absolutely will stop or slow your weight loss.  Use the search function ( little magnifying glass at the top of the screen) and search transfer addictions.  You will see that here are a lot of WLS peeps that become alcoholics.  It's not worth the risk.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

seattledeb
on 7/30/16 10:46 pm

And you only get one beautiful liver. 

Deanna798
on 7/31/16 5:29 am, edited 7/30/16 10:30 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

7-1/2 weeks is really early to try it. Also,  please  please be careful.  Alcohol reacts very differently.  I'm nearly a year post op and i went out dancing with my hubby last month. I had a few drinks, danced and had a great time.  But by the end of the night, those few drinks caught up to me fast and i could barely walk out of the club. THANK GOD my hubby was there to make sure i got home safe.  I even told him how frightening it was,  and that i couldn't imagine getting that messed up if i was out with my friends.  

What I'm trying to say is that after surgery,  booze will creep up on you and can go from lightly buzzed to black out very,  very quickly.  

I don't plan on doing that,  ever again.  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Grim_Traveller
on 7/31/16 6:22 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Just don't. There are one hundred great reasons not to drink. The only reason you can come up with to support drinking is, "because I want to."

Less than 2 months ago you had a surgeon cut you open, reroute your insides, and change you physically -- forever. In return, you were supposed to commit to changing your lifestyle. Permanently.

Well, you did ok for 2 months. Almost. You can draw the line here, or resume doing the things that got you onto the operating table. You don't need our permission for that.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

chassibi
on 7/31/16 6:55 am

Even aside from all of the physical reasons not to--transfer addiction is REAL. And scary. I do not need to be an alcoholic on top of a food addict. My RNY will not prevent alcohol from going down. 

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 564 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 342 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 456 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 369 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 4 replies · 19 views