When your loosing slower than expected. (Slower than everyone else)

CurlyCass1977
on 8/17/16 10:46 am
RNY on 12/04/15 with

Hi everyone, 

I had my RNY back in December of last year. For the first three months weight loss was great but I struggled with very painful constipation. I had to change my diet to include veggies instead of the recommended all meat diet. That solved my constipation problem but my weight loss slowed. I was still doing great just slower than others. At 6 months I hit a wall. I couldn't loose another pound. Stuck. I stayed stuck for 2 months. 

I find myself inexplicably being jealous of those who have had complications like strictures because they have hit onderland already since they haven't been able to eat. Sad right. 

Two weeks ago I finally got honest with myself and decided to pay close attention to what I was putting in my mouth. I can feel a real difference but my scale and I still aren't on speaking terms till Friday.  

I tend to just read this forum often and I really get so much information and support. I am going to try harder to contribute so thanx for being there for me so that I can have the confidence to be here for you.

RNY 12-4-15 

HW 316

Consult Weight 308 8/15/15

Surgery Weight 289 12/4/15

Current Weight 220 9/10/16

Chilipepper
on 8/17/16 11:41 am

You are given a diet to follow because your new insides are configured to get optimal weigh loss through a high protein no/low carb diet. We all have suffered with constipation because of it but instead of adding carbs to cause you to go, add Miralax to your diet. Make the switch now and get back to the basics.  You only have a honeymoon period for a short time and you don't want to waste it. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

White Dove
on 8/17/16 11:48 am - Warren, OH

Quit the carbs, take your Miralax and make friends with the scale.  It will be your biggest supporter.  Get the weight off as quickly as possible.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

hollykim
on 8/17/16 11:48 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On August 17, 2016 at 5:46 PM Pacific Time, CurlyCass1977 wrote:

Hi everyone, 

I had my RNY back in December of last year. For the first three months weight loss was great but I struggled with very painful constipation. I had to change my diet to include veggies instead of the recommended all meat diet. That solved my constipation problem but my weight loss slowed. I was still doing great just slower than others. At 6 months I hit a wall. I couldn't loose another pound. Stuck. I stayed stuck for 2 months. 

I find myself inexplicably being jealous of those who have had complications like strictures because they have hit onderland already since they haven't been able to eat. Sad right. 

Two weeks ago I finally got honest with myself and decided to pay close attention to what I was putting in my mouth. I can feel a real difference but my scale and I still aren't on speaking terms till Friday.  

I tend to just read this forum often and I really get so much information and support. I am going to try harder to contribute so thanx for being there for me so that I can have the confidence to be here for you.

I agree you should drop the veggies and add MiralX or stool softener so every. Night. 

CurlyCass1977
on 8/17/16 12:01 pm
RNY on 12/04/15 with

Thanx for the advice but adding veggies wasn't slowing my weight loss it was all the other nips and nibbles I was allowing. So now I track every bite and still have a bowel movement everyday. I am keeping my calories between 600-800 and my clothes are getting looser. I won't step on the scale till Friday but I feel like it is better for my individual body to include vegetables. 

I took many stool softners and Miralax and Milk of Mag and all of those things before finally deciding to add veggies. 

I really appreciate your advice though! I was starting to feel like I was jipped out of my honeymoon period lol. Now I know I really have to learn how to listen to my own body. 

RNY 12-4-15 

HW 316

hollykim
on 8/17/16 4:31 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On August 17, 2016 at 7:01 PM Pacific Time, CurlyCass1977 wrote:

Thanx for the advice but adding veggies wasn't slowing my weight loss it was all the other nips and nibbles I was allowing. So now I track every bite and still have a bowel movement everyday. I am keeping my calories between 600-800 and my clothes are getting looser. I won't step on the scale till Friday but I feel like it is better for my individual body to include vegetables. 

I took many stool softners and Miralax and Milk of Mag and all of those things before finally deciding to add veggies. 

I really appreciate your advice though! I was starting to feel like I was jipped out of my honeymoon period lol. Now I know I really have to learn how to listen to my own body. 

"nibbles" make a difference. You didn't mention them in your original post.

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/18/16 6:26 am

Some starchy veggies can bring sugar cravings. They do for me. I eat some non starchy veggies and try to avoid the ones that can cause me having "munches"

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

CurlyCass1977
on 8/18/16 6:38 am
RNY on 12/04/15 with

I crave chocolate!! I noticed that when I don't plan out all of my meals and just "wing it" I tend to eat more often than I would if I had a plan. That's one thing I didn't realize about this surgery, if you eat too often you can easily do some way more calories than you need. 

I don't think I eat any starchy veggies so I may need to refresh my memory on which ones are starchy lol. 

RNY 12-4-15 

HW 316

crafty_gal
on 8/18/16 6:58 am
RNY on 04/26/16

For chocolate cravings (I get it about once a month, though not as hard as "before") I eat 1/4 to 1/2 of a chocolate covered protein bar. My favorite for cravings is a Gatorade branded one - chocolate pretzel. I cut off how much I'm going to eat and then put the rest away before going to another room and sloooowly eating, and thoroughly chewing every bite. One way I've found to limit the number of protein bars I eat is to buy them individually rather than by the box. I think of them and eat them as though they are candy bars.

HW: 333 Consult Weight: 318 SW: 293

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/19/16 3:38 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Any protein bar you use should be at least 10g protein per 100 calories. The Gatorade ones are 20g protein and 350 calories (and 42g carbs), so not a good choice.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 336 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 378 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 472 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 386 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 336 views