higher fat or closer to Keto diet and bypass?

ShandrewsCA
on 1/12/18 10:09 pm - Coeur D Alene, ID

Here you go my dear!

https://www.ruled.me/guide-keto-diet

Pre-RNY Weight: 280 lbs (09/14/05)

Lowest Post-Op Weight: 140 lbs

Starting Ozempic Weight: 180 lbs (08/26/22)

Week 1 Weight: 174 lbs (09/02/22)

turner3670
on 3/2/18 8:11 am

Hello I'm having the same issue could you give me info on the program

(deactivated member)
on 2/20/18 9:12 am

Hello, I am in exactly the same place you are. I had same stating weight but 150 lbs is the lowest I got. I then fluctuated 160 -170 for years and have reached 194! Scared the daylights out of me too! I have been trying the keto and lost a few lbs but I am having trouble eating enough protein. By the time I eat 60 - 70 grams of protein I am too full to eat my veggies. How do you manage to get your protein in? Any suggestions? I also have not gotten the surge of energy everyone seems to get when going on Keto. Any suggestions? Thanks!

ShandrewsCA
on 2/20/18 4:52 pm - Coeur D Alene, ID

Hello PoohBear! I am now at 171, down 21 lbs since December 11th :)

My macros set in MFP are 5% carbs (11g), 30% protein (68g), and 65% fat (65g), and my max calories per day is set at 900. However, I rarely hit that many carbs and my protein is usually more like 70-75g. I enjoy making my own beef jerky so I can control the ingredients, eggs, cheese, bacon, chicken, shrimp, etc. I have a bit of veggies with dinner.

I wouldn't say my energy has "surged" but it's longer-lasting for sure and I sleep harder but for a shorter amount of time.

I'm actually about ready to start an egg fast tomorrow with a group of Keto ladies on FB. I will come back and let you know my results!

MirandaGirl525
on 3/5/18 6:47 pm
RNY on 08/29/16

Hello ShandrewsCA! I'm interested in the keto FB group please. Also - the recipe I saw on your menu of Shandrews chicken cracking soup :). Thank you!

ShandrewsCA
on 3/6/18 8:31 am - Coeur D Alene, ID

Hi Miranda - I was referring to the egg fast group on FB "Egg Fast - Stall = Breaker (diet)" :)

zephyr1975
on 2/25/18 11:34 am
RNY on 01/27/15

Wow. Your story is almost identical to my own... I am bouncing around the 190s currently and would rather be in the 150s...my husband also wants to go keto so we are on the same page with the diet.

I am sensitive to too much fat so I am unsure of starting a Keto plan. I have been doing lots of reading but there isn't a lot of information about this aspect and how to avoid it.

If anyone has any tips on this I'd be grateful.

ShandrewsCA
on 2/26/18 8:40 am, edited 3/30/18 4:34 am - Coeur D Alene, ID

Hi Zephyr1975!

I did Keto with my macros at 5% carbs, 65% fat, and 30% protein when I first started. I lost 21 lbs then stalled for 3 weeks. I just finished my 5-day egg fast and lost 7 lbs, for a total of 28 lbs gone since December 11th (EDITED TO ADD - I gained back 4 lbs of the 7 lbs of my egg fast). It was explained to me by a very kind admin on the egg fast group on FB that I most likely stalled because I was eating too much fat. She said because our bodies are now routed differently, my body was using the fat I was EATING for energy, not the fat I was STORING. I have readjusted my macros to 5% carbs, 45% fat, and 50% protein on 900 calories.

First note, for me Keto has given me major constipation. I went 9 days without a b.m. and had to resort to taking laxatives. To be fair, I've had constipation since my RNY 12 years ago, but not this bad. I had hoped all the fat would make things move better.

Second note, the perimenopause was giving me major hormonal cystic acne, and not just on my face My doctor had me on antibiotics because it was so bad and painful, but even that wasn't working. Since going Keto my acne has almost completely vanished, with only the occasional pimple popping up when my body does decide it should have a period (really, it can stop anytime, but it's being stubborn).

On a third note (LOL), my hair is fuller. I lost so much of it after surgery, and only some came back!

I hope this helps!

zephyr1975
on 3/4/18 7:45 am
RNY on 01/27/15

Thank you so much! This helps a lot! I use the macro calculators and I know I could never eat 1900 calories anymore!

We did our shopping yesterday and we will be starting this week. I think the best part of doing this with my husband is that it is something he'll be doing as well and it will keep the carbs out of the house!

Spending most of my day today making grab & go breakfasts and prepping lunches for the week!

Loripol
on 3/26/18 5:57 pm

Hi ShandrewsCA,

Your post so gave me hope!! I am 11 years post RNY. I've gained 55 lbs back and have been Keto for a few months. However, I've had some problems with the standard macro ratio. I think I too am using the fat I eat for energy rather than burning stored fat. I get really weak when I don't eat enough. I have plenty of stored fat! Can you refer me to someone sources that explain HOW to keep with a RNY? I am going to adjust my macros to what you've suggested and see if that helps. However, I am wondering if the higher protein macro won't just turn those into glucose.

I also take exogenous ketones. Not sure yet on the efficacy.

Appreciate your help!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 520 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 403 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 258 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views