higher fat or closer to Keto diet and bypass?

Kathy S.
on 11/21/17 10:23 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Chargr69,

I am 13 years out and my labs have been great! I use these patches, Multi, B12, Iron and D3/Calcium. Here is the link to the patches, I think they are on sale.

Bariatric Vitamin Patches

You have already taken the hardest step by saying enough is enough and now I want to get back on track. I maintained 118-125 for over 10 years after losing 200 pounds. Due to a personal tragedy I gained and hit the 190 mark a year ago. After several starts it finally clicked and I am back to goal losing 60 pounds of regain. Here are some steps that helped me and I hope they will help you too! You may have several starts and stops but don't give up, don't beat yourself up. IT WILL CLICK!!! Our tool works if we work the tool and get back to the basics we stopped doing.

Planning/Preparing

Remember when we were preparing for surgery? How many meetings, classes and such did we attend? We were told the more prepared we were the better our chances were for success. And they were right. Go through the house, car and work place and get rid of trigger foods. Stock up on foods that will keep you on track. I removed every bad carb/sugar temptation and replaced it with lots of protein, veggies, grains and fruits.

Journaling

Get back to journaling. This will help you identify when you feel like eating, stress factors and any triggers in your life. Once you identify these factors, this will help you put tools in place to keep you from eating. It became clear I was not taking time for me anymore. I worked my day job and then spent the rest of my time caring for my husband. It was easy to reach for fast, prepackaged food. Since I purged my home I have to eat clean as there are no other options LOL

Use a tool to track you're eating and exercise like Getting Started with Health Tracker. Once I started to track ever bite and drink it became clear why I had gained.

Goals/Rewards

Make a list of goals for yourself. Make them realistic and small. Some of mine were move more, purge all junk from my home, eat more protein.

Food

In general, a long term post-weight loss surgery eating plan includes foods that are high in protein, and low in fat?, calories, and sugar. Important, vitamins and minerals are provided as supplements. (if you had a different surgery adjust this to your food plan).

Water

Water is our Best Friend. I have to say I never went back to pop or any bad drinks, however I was drinking tea like crazy. What is wrong with drinking tea? I was either using sugar or 3 equals and 3 sweet n lows per 32 ounce glass. So I was either pushing to be diabetic or get cancer. I found once I started carrying a bottle of water around 24/7 (yes had one at my bedside) I lost the cravings for the sugar and I KNOW those artificial sweeteners are not good for me. Look I am old and if you add up all the artificial sweeteners I have consumed I am sure I am at the rat in the lab getting cancer threshold.

MOVE!

I can't say enough about how key this was for me. The reason I kept my weight off for almost 10 years was no matter what, I kept moving. If I could not go to the gym I would walk. I loved Zumba, bootcamp workouts, lifting weights. When I stopped, the weight started coming back. So for me I am starting slow to avoid injury by walking and using some of the workouts on my Demand TV. Find something you love to do and it won't feel like a pain in the *** to do daily.

Support

If it's an option "run" don't walk to a support group.

Keep me posted on how you are doing.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Kathy S.
on 11/21/17 10:28 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi ,

I just checked and the sample 4 pack is on sale, the individual patches will be on sale on black Friday through cyber Monday

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

jdmalone75
on 4/10/18 12:35 pm

This is the one my physician sells.

Shrubs80
on 11/11/17 6:12 pm

Hi

I had my RNY 5 years ago.. I started at around 250lb and over 3 years made it to my lowest weight post op of 157.. I've been up and down between 157lb & 165lb for the following 2 years..

I had a baby a year ago. I Started this pregnancy at 163lb and post birth i was 157lb, .. Fast forward a year, i am at 168lb. I am no longer nursing and would like to get down to what I was 10 years ago (145lb) before i gained all my weight pre-op, fix my pcos and give me more energy..

I started the ketogenic diet a week ago and have found that the macros i was given are too high for me to meet equally.. no problems meeting my carbs and fat.. but couldn't manage to meet my proteins. I was given 1150 calories, 20g carbs, 70g fat & 110g protein.

It occurred to me that having had bariatric surgery I might need to have different macros to account for it all..

I have been searching daily for information about this and finally came upon this post.. I'm also ashamed to admit that I have let my vitamins and b12 shots fall to the wayside :(..

I was hoping to get some advice, references, direction to information, anything really that will help me get my eating habits back on track with keto way of eating before i gain anymore weight. Keto eating is important to me as it is known to fix the pcos I have.

How should I adjust my macros? What foods are NOT suggested for people thay have had the RNY that are recommended for the regular ketogenic diet and vice versa.. Additionaly, how would i measure or track if i am in ketosis, since post op we respond differently and I've read that ketosticks aren't reliable for post bariatric surgery..

Thank you SO much in advance for taking the time to read & reply!!

Truly appreciated!!!

A Desperate mum

Ladytazz
on 8/21/16 9:54 pm

I eat fats pretty freely.  I also eat a lot of protein.  I don'****ch carbs at this point but if I make sure I get in my protein first I usually don't have a lot of room left for a lot of carbs.

I also make sure just about anything I eat is high protein.  I don't count calories at this point but mentally keep track of protein intake.  I aim for at least 100 grams a day and even with that my numbers stay on the lower end of normal.

So far this works for me but like anything else it's a work in progress and open for change as needed.

I am also 6 years out and maintaining for over 5 years so I have a lot more leeway.  When I was losing I kept my carbs under 100 grams, usually around 50 except for dairy.  I still had aimed for at least 100 grams of protein a day and kept my calories under 1000 (it was usually 600 to 800 in the first year).  I never worried about fats and never did low fat but I also didn't indulge while losing.  I have just gradually increased my fat intake over the years as I noticed my weight stayed stable.

I find this way of eating satisfying and seems to be working for weight maintenance for me.  But we are all different and what works for me may not work for you.  

Over time you will find what works best for you by trying different ways of eating until you find that magic formula of being satisfied with your eating while maintaining your desired weight.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Grim_Traveller
on 8/22/16 4:49 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I'm not sure you will see any difference between what you are doing currently and your friends ratios. Not long term, certainly. I doubt the fat difference will result in any extra weight loss, but it could help with constipation, if that's an issue. In the end, it's calories that are king.

I eat a lot of fat. In maintenance, it's not unusual for me to hit 100 grams of fat in a day. or 150 now and then. I don't go looking or fat, and don't try to avoid it.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

dmlindoff
on 4/21/18 8:44 pm

I'm so glad to find this site. I am 17 years post-op. I had RNY 3/12/01. My ore op weight was 255 I went down to 110. Sustained at 125 for the last 12 years but suddenly I am up to 145 out of be blue. No reason except maybe Perimenopause.

I have decided to try Keto since it is close to the philosophy of the diet we got put on after surgery.

Wish me luck!

Ab_E
on 8/4/18 8:28 pm

I'm just learning about keto, so some of the terminology is new to me. Is there some site you go to to set your calories, macros, etc?

I had RNY in 2003 with a starting weight of 400 lbs. My lowest weight was 203 lbs. I gained 83 lbs back, but got sick and dropped weight. I just had a bowel resection where they removed the candy cane portion of my bypass on July 25th. So, currently I'm on full liquids, then will graduate to pureed foods until I'm safe to eat solids again. Most of the nutritionists I've seen want me to follow the old ADA diet or the low fat/high protein diet. I just can't seem to find the right help. Not sure if it's because I'm living in a different State than where I had the surgery, and the fact that I am on disability, which means I have combined insurance of Medicare and Medicaid. I'm tired of not feeling well...

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 771 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 381 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 501 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 30 replies · 214 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 276 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?