Thankful every day!

karenp8
on 8/26/16 2:08 pm - Brighton, IL

Monday is my 4 year surgiversary but I will be out living life and camping with my hubby so I wanted to give a bit of encouragement to you new post ops. Even though you've struggled with your weight your whole life you are now on a totally different journey. An amazing journey that will teach you so much about yourself and how you relate to food. It's not easy. Each day is a struggle to make good choices that move you toward your goal. When the scale is moving,you can see the success and the choices are a bit easier. Once you reach goal those choices you make will move the scale up or keep you where you are so then it becomes a game of reminding yourself where you came from. That's why a list of victories I've had and a before picture permanently live on my frig as a reminder--a reminder that helps make those choices a bit easier. I've learned so much about myself. I've found that I'm a much stronger and more committed person than I ever thought I was. I found that I am an emotional eater and just about any emotion makes me want to eat. I never realized either how much food was part of my plans in the past--a trip to the state fair was all about mini donuts and fries and sal****er taffy. Seeing those things at the fair last week made me somewhat sad. But I've learned enough to share those feelings with my hubby and rejoice that I ran all over all day and didn't need the tram. You see the choices are hard but so worth it. I have my life back. Before surgery I would go to festivals or fairs and sit on a bench. I told my family I liked to watch people,but in reality I knew I couldn't keep up and didn't want to slow anyone down. Now my hubby can't keep up with Me! Gone are the daily knee and back pain,high cholesterol and triglycerides and uncontrolled high blood pressure and high blood sugar.  All these things are now in a normal range with no meds except one low dose blood pressure pill. OH has been such a help to me and keeps me accountable each and every day. That's why you'll see me on here every day posting on the menu thread and trying to encourage others. That's why I exercise nearly every day and faithfully plan and record calories and protein values on every bite I take. That's why I weigh every morning and post my weight for all my friends here to see. You see I never stepped on a scale pre surgery unless I was at the doctor and that's part of how I ended up wearing a tight size 28 and weighing 273 pounds. Today I weigh 118 to 120 and wear a size 0 or 1 and have for 3 years. I no longer fear stepping on the scale at the doctors office and can buy nice clothes anywhere I want and sit in any booth without worrying if I'll fit. I know I can do anything now I set my mind to do. Many people I meet now never knew me as heavy and I still laugh when someone calls me tiny. So you new post ops hang in there and stay the course. Get ready for an amazing journey of your very own. Don't compare your loss or your path to anyone else's but do work on being honest and accountable and committed. If I can do this--you can too if you set your mind to it and do the work. If you are reading this as you contemplate surgery and are ready to work on your relationship with food,run don't walk to your surgeons office. I had contemplated surgery for about 5 years but it took losing both parents to complications of diabetes at early ages and starting meds for diabetes myself to get me off the fence. I wanted to be around to see and enjoy my family for many years to come but I had to hit rock bottom before I could take that step and commit to changing my whole lifestyle. But I am thankful every day that I Did! And thanks to all of you for sharing your journeys and encouraging me too. Have a great Weekend! Pics to follow.

Daffodilgirl
on 8/26/16 2:23 pm

You are amazing and have an amazing testimony!! 

Emiepie
on 8/26/16 2:38 pm
RNY on 08/11/14

Karen, thank you for being an inspiration to us and being so open and honest. You are amazing!!

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

conazza
on 8/26/16 4:11 pm
RNY on 09/23/16

Very helpful and inspiring for us pre-ops! Thank you

Lap band: 2006. Revision to RNY 9/23/2016

8/2/17: Goal Reached: 135lbs. & 115lbs lost (5'3")

Pre-op: 250, SW 242, CW 125, GW 135

Pre-op: 9lb M1: 20lb M2: 11.5lb M3: 11.9 M4: 13.4 M5: 10.8 M6: 10.2 M7: 8.1 M8: 8.4 M9: 6.5 M10: 5.7 M11: 3.5 M12: 4.3

chassibi
on 8/26/16 4:17 pm

Karen, I always looks forward to your daily post because you are a rock of consistency. You left post most always includes walking Lily as well as your weight. Thank you for coming here and being part of our world, I know you are busy living life and wouldn't have to! 

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

karenp8
on 8/26/16 4:24 pm - Brighton, IL

I wouldn't have to but consider each of you my friends. When I had surgery in my small rural town I didn't know a soul that had had weight loss surgery. My surgeons office is almost two hours away and though I did go to their support group at first it was just too far to drive for a one hour meeting. But I was so lucky to find this amazing place and meet all of you. It's great to talk about issues with people who have been there and really get It! And now that I am at goal I love the excitement of you newer folks as you discover a new healthier life and share with all of us!

CathyV
on 8/26/16 4:19 pm

Awesome. I love your fair story. My oldest daughter told me she has never been on a Ferris wheel this summer. She said,"well, I've always been scared of them. Now I want to go on one but I don't want to go by myself." I felt bad because there is no way in hell I would get in a Ferris wheel right now. I'm sure they have weight limits and I'm sure I'm over it! But next summer...we are doing it.

HW- 375

SW- 358

GW- 175

Tempestt
on 8/26/16 4:29 pm
VSG on 09/07/16

Thanks so much for another inspiring story of things to look forward to.  Especially when I am on day 3 of liquid diets, it's nice to see the progress and results of someone who has been there through the long haul! 

Congrats, Karen!

MonaLisaSmile
on 8/26/16 5:20 pm - Canada

4 years !!!!!! Congrats Karenp8!!    

You are living the RNY dream .....losing......living....maintaining and enjoying!!!!!!  Can't beat that, it's what we all are shooting for.   

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

Queen JB
on 8/26/16 6:25 pm
RNY on 07/20/15

Karen, you have done so well. And keeping it off for four years is incredible. We can all learn from your consistency and accountability. I'm so happy for you, my friend!!!

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 354 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 386 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 477 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?