Nutribullet Pro vs NutriNinja ?

Gavs50
on 8/28/16 6:48 am

Ok team I have my surgery Thursday and I recently got from my beautiful wife for my Birthday both the Nutribullet Pro and the NutriNinja but for obvious reasons was told I could only keep one. 

I would like to return one of these on Tuesday so I'm asking all of you which is best ??  All of the reviews are leaning towards the NutriNinja but I wanted to hear from all of you first.  

Can't wait to tally your results 

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 8/28/16 7:31 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Your wife is very sweet , but I would wait and maybe take them both back - after surgery you will only be using protein shakes for a short time.  After 1-3 months you will want to eat real food, so you stay full. I do not think they are worth the space they take up long term.  I may be in the minority, but  I have never used either and just get the protein shake cans when I need them.  Post WLS - You will NEVER make a fruit based shake as your doctor will tell you NOT to drink your calories.

In the short term, wait until a week after surgery before using either - your tastes may change with the surgery or you may rather spend that $$$ on new clothes in a few months. 

PS I was on a shake based diet for a year 5 years before I got WLS and never used one then either.  I would mix the powder with some water and then pour diet soda in.  Obviously - I cannot do that post-WLS, so I use the cans when I need them. (Or just shake the powder in a shaker and shake away).  

Sharon

Gavs50
on 8/28/16 7:39 am

What about the puréed portion of the post- op diet ? Will my regular blender work for that ? Just want to have the right tools on hand.  

Great feedback thanks 

peachpie
on 8/28/16 7:47 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I agree with Sharon. I never used a blender, bullet, etc. not even in pureed phase.  My pureed phase was essentially super soft foods that could be easily mushed with a fork- IE meatballs with extra sauce/water to thin it. 

I own a ninja blender but have never used it to make a shakes smoothies etc. only time I used it post WLS was to make Chicken salad-- and I would have done the same pre-op cause I like my chicken in chicken salad chopped up fine. 

My blender bottle was if far more value to me- and it was only $10

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Gavs50
on 8/28/16 8:19 am

Awesome feedback sounds like so far I'm heading back to the store with both. Score 2 to 0 to return. Hello new pants 

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 8/28/16 4:32 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

How long do you have to do pureed?? My doctor does not make his patients do the pureed stage - we just chew chew chew so by the time we are swallowing it is the same as puree-ing. So, I did a week of liquids then introduced soft foods - poached flounder and cottage cheese during the second week. These soft foods could probably be 'pureed' just by mashing with a fork.  

If I had to puree - I might use my coffee grinder - that would be a serving size.  For me pureed foods would be difficult to not gag on - so I would think it would be easier to force down if it were freshly made - in 1/4 cups batches.  My reg blender would have a hard time on such a small quantity, but my little coffee grinder would prob do the trick.

Sharon

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/28/16 8:26 am, edited 8/28/16 1:27 am

I cook a lot. I use magic bullet and my Vitamin a lot. Both of them. I can't wait for my magic bullet to die so I can justify uprade to Nutribulet.  But thats me...  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Emiepie
on 8/28/16 8:46 am
RNY on 08/11/14

Good Morning! We had a ninja for years that we all use and recently hubby wanted the vitamix and we use it everyday. If it were just or my needs I would have fine with one of the bullet types but he makes a smoothie everyday with fruit and veggies plus with the vitamix he and my daughter make "ice cream" and soup. Just my two cents ?

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

Daisydoo02
on 8/28/16 8:49 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Hi Gavs,

I am super excited about your surgery Thursday!  Like others have said I would return them both.  My husband bought me a cheap Magic Bullet from Walmart and I used it for the first 6 months post surgery and now its sitting in a box in the basement unused.   A blender bottle would have been fine too as it works just as good for shakes.

As for pureed food, I never used the blender to puree.  I ate thinks like cottage cheese, yogurt, mashed chick peas, mashed lentils, mashed pinto beans, mashed egg salad, mashed up tuna salad, all things that you could mash with fork and did not need a blender for.  

Do check out the website "World according to Eggface" she has tons of ideas for all stages of the post WLS journey, I used her site a lot when I was first post op and now at almost 3 years out I still go back and make some of her yummy creations.

Some people find they really like the Premier Protein RTD (ready to drink) and therefore you don't need a blender at all if you want to drink shakes.  

I think your wife is incredibly sweet for buying you those both, but if anything this post WLS journey is not about the "gadgets" and small plates and measuring cups blah blah blah, its about the mental and emotional toll and journey that this takes in the early stages and I hope your wife can support you that way as well, because get ready for the ride of your life, its amazing but a huge change.  You may have seen here people say "they do surgery on our bodies but not on our minds" the mental and emotional journey is just a huge as the physical changes.

I hope you become a regular here on OH and join us on the What's on the menu today RNYers and let us know how you do!

All the best,

Daisy

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

selhard
on 8/28/16 8:50 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

You'd have to pry the Nutribullet original (not the pro model) away from me.  I think it's the perfect speed motor because weaker speed blenders can sometimes not blend well and too powerful speed blenders can sometimes turn things frothy.  I find the Nutribullet is a perfect compact size and a good value for the price. I had a blast experimenting with different protein smoothie recipes each time making them as healthy as possible.  They became a morning ritual for a while feeling good I was taking charge of becoming a healthier being:  flaxmeal, flax oil, wheat germ, Kefir, Unjury protein powder, frozen berries, and the essential staple to make smoothies creamy--frozen banana.  I have slowed down making them after four years yet have no problem thinking of them as a filling, nutrient-packed protein option even though knowing dense proteins are an optimal choice of food. I certainly believe homemade protein shakes beat store-bought protein shakes.  The Nutribullet has been used to grind whole coffee beans, chop nuts, and pulverize cans of beans for either hummus or for a black bean brownie recipe.  In summary, the blender price amounted to a fraction of what I used to spend on pizzas, fastfood, and copious amounts of candy.  Happy Birthday, praise to your wife for caring gifts, good luck deciding what to do, and I raise my Nutribullet to your quest for a better life.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 384 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 295 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 410 views
Recent Topics