Wait, what???

Patty R.
on 9/16/16 9:51 am - Harrisville, RI
RNY on 09/08/16

Hi all, Post-op day 8, plugging along trying to keep protein and fluid levels high. Almost everything the "Vets" suggested and proposed (THANK YOU SO MUCH!!) has happened/gone well, except for this unusual but apparently common occurrence:  the lovely oral and skinfold YEAST infection!!!  Never in my life have I had anything like this!! 

Apparently this is common as I read thru blogs, threads and forums, but no medical references on line using many different medically friendly search engines!  The only appropriate "cause" I could find for me in particular is dry mouth and tongue post-up. So here is yet another reason to sip, sip, sip!!    Not wanting to be too descriptive to those with a low gross threshold but, the yeast on the tongue and throat make protein shakes more difficult to choke down!!          

Lap-Band 2007 out 2013 RnY 2016 Age 64 5'6" HW 294 SW 284 LW 214 CW 235.2 goal 199

G. Dean Roye, MD FACS

Patty

ManyBlessings
on 9/16/16 10:01 am - Clermont, FL

Oh man... that's no fun at all! 

I've never had anything like that so I don't know what it's like, but I hope you feel better soon.  I can imagine drinking your shakes must be like trying to swallow peanut butter. Can your surgeon/doctor maybe prescribe something for it?

It's not just the WEIGHT you LOSE, it's the LIFE you GAIN

RNY, Mar.2005Dr. Muhammed Jawad - Orlando, FL | S.W. 420 lb. - G.W. 160 lb.

Patty R.
on 9/16/16 10:10 am - Harrisville, RI
RNY on 09/08/16

Oh yes.. I have a Nystatin mouth rinse/gargle and a Nystatin powder for the skin areas.  I am soooo  happy the weather has cooled a bit here, or I would not see any humor in this at all!!!    Hopefully this is my !st and LAST dealing with yeast!  No more bread and the yeast gets to me another way!!

ManyBlessings
on 9/16/16 10:42 am - Clermont, FL

Good! Glad to know you at least have something to help. And yes, I am sure that warm, humid weather would make that way less humorous. We are in Florida so.... I understand on that one!

It's not just the WEIGHT you LOSE, it's the LIFE you GAIN

RNY, Mar.2005Dr. Muhammed Jawad - Orlando, FL | S.W. 420 lb. - G.W. 160 lb.

Daisydoo02
on 9/16/16 10:24 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Hi Pat, so glad you are doing so well 8 days post op!  That is awesome!

Two "Fun" and I say that totally tongue & cheek because they were NOT fun was right after surgery, about same time as you I developed what was the worlds worst female yeast infection in my girly parts. It it was horrific.  There was several days that I was up all night pacing my house because the pain and itching was so bad. I thought I was going to lose my mind. Family doc prescribed meds but by the time I got to see her and got the meds it was a full blown infection.  

THEN I developed Thrush (over growth of yeast "Candida albicans" in my mouth). I got these huge bumps all over my tongue that looked like pimples and they bled and then it was like I had this white coating of baking soda all over my tongue.  I could not eat, drink, swallow.  I also got a mouth rinse that barely did anything for the pain and again I was miserable. But then it just all went away and it was pretty much smooth sailing after that. But I will tell you there was a few days when I was in pain that I was thinking "what did I do to myself?"  

It happens and it does go away.  I am so sorry you are going through this, it truly sucks, but hang in there it will go away!

Feel better!! 

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

Patty R.
on 9/16/16 10:37 am - Harrisville, RI
RNY on 09/08/16

Thanks for sharing!!  It's really something you have to experience for your self to truly understand!!  LOL   Tripping along on this new path...

luvn2oxfrd
on 9/16/16 12:26 pm

so sorry :( i was prone to skin fold yeast infections prior to surgery and they have continued post.  i add acidophilus to my vitamin regime daily and if it gets really bad, i call my doc for a prescription for diflucan...that works from the inside out.  once you are on the "mushy" phase of your meal plan, be sure to add in some yogurt!

RNY May 2013

5'3" Highest Weight: 325lbs

Surgeon's Goal Weight: 140lbs * My Goal Weight: 170lbs * Current Weight: 279lbs

Motto: "You never fail until you stop trying." -Einstein

Patty R.
on 9/16/16 1:12 pm - Harrisville, RI
RNY on 09/08/16

I'm on puree for 4 weeks, advanced to 2 Oz per "meal" today. Have been eating yogurt with active cultures since the day after surgery.

God bless you for having to deal long term

CJ On Orcas
on 9/16/16 1:47 pm
RNY on 09/09/16

Thank you so much for posting.  I am on day 7 and although I wanted to wait two weeks my PCP weighed me and I had gained four pounds and was feeling very sorry for myself.  Good reminder that this is a very small issue.  Glad you found out why those shakes were not going down well.  And congratulations for keeping your sense of humor.

(deactivated member)
on 9/17/16 8:00 am

Aww Pat, I hope I hope this infection gets under control quickly. Thinking of you

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 143 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
Recent Topics