Not tolerating Protein shakes

rackerlee
on 9/27/16 7:51 am
RNY on 08/23/16

Good morning!

I am a new member as of today, however, have been reading forums and utilizing the site for several weeks now.

I am exactly 5 weeks out from RNY on 8/23/16.

I am really struggling with getting in my protein (and water).  Almost everything I eat is some type of protein, but I know that I am not getting the minimum (40g) yet.  I am not eating very much in general - I do know that I am very early on in the process.  I am in the soft food phase per my program and soon to graduate to regular foods.  My usual meals include a hard boiled egg, a one egg omelet with cheese (sometimes I add thinly sliced deli ham), babybel lite, greek yogurt, ricotta turkey meatball.

I have purchased multiple brands of protein shakes, but seem to have a very difficult time tolerating them.  I don't vomit, but I feel miserable!  I see so many people use these to supplement their protein intake, but they just don't seem to work for me.  I've tried using half a scoop, mixing with double the liquid, adding to my yogurt, but I always feel miserable after.

Looking for advice....

Thanks

R

RNY_elizabeth
on 9/27/16 8:11 am - TX
RNY on 10/06/15

If you can tolerate eggs that is actually pretty great.  I couldn't do eggs for a few months.  Shakes...never.  Not one ever went down without misery.  I finally gave up.  Shakes were just gross, too sweet, and made my tummy super unhappy. I used something call Cocotein (a protein water avail at GNC and Vitamin Shop). It really helped with both the protein and the hydration.  Water I still struggle with.  It just makes me nauseous. The Cocotein was much much better and I could get them down without unhappy tummy. Best of luck to you on your journey! Hope to see you around more.

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/nature-best-isopure-cocotein-12-drinks/np-1193#.V-qL1_krIdU

~Elizabeth

Consultation weight: 265, Surgery date: 10/6/15, Goal: 150, Current weight: 129; 5'5, 46 years old

"I am basically food's creepy ex-girlfriend. I know we can't be together anymore but I just want to spend time hanging out" ~me, about why I love cooking so much post WLS

AngryViking
on 9/27/16 11:45 am
RNY on 07/17/14

I've never seen that drink!  I'm going to have to check it out.

RNY_elizabeth
on 9/27/16 12:49 pm - TX
RNY on 10/06/15

My Guy said they tasted wicked tart but other WLS folks seem to think they are great.  We have weird tastes eh?

Try it and see what you think.

~E

Consultation weight: 265, Surgery date: 10/6/15, Goal: 150, Current weight: 129; 5'5, 46 years old

"I am basically food's creepy ex-girlfriend. I know we can't be together anymore but I just want to spend time hanging out" ~me, about why I love cooking so much post WLS

rackerlee
on 9/27/16 1:28 pm
RNY on 08/23/16

Thanks for the advice about Cocotein.  I'll look at GNC tonight!

CJ On Orcas
on 9/27/16 9:39 am
RNY on 09/09/16

I am only 18 days out.  I used to love ice water but after surgery plain water made me really nauseous.  I finally bought some diet cranberry drink and added it to my ice water.  Only takes an ounce or two in a pint of water to make it tolerable, and I am now getting plenty every day.  I hate the sweet protein drinks.  You might want to try the Unjury chicken flavored protein powder... It tastes just like chicken broth but has 21 grams of protein for a cup.  That is more than I can drink, but I can totally do a couple of half cups during a day.  Also, the Unjury unflavored protein powder is so much better than some of the ones I have tried.  It dissolves completely in yogurt and I cannot taste it at all.  Good luck.

rackerlee
on 9/27/16 2:28 pm
RNY on 08/23/16

I haven't tried Unjury yet.  The chicken one sounds promising.  Might be next thing I order. 

Thanks!

White Dove
on 9/27/16 10:24 am - Warren, OH

If you weigh and measure your foods and track in My Fitness Pal, you will see you are getting more than 40 gm of protein.

Logging will save you a lot of worry. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

rackerlee
on 9/27/16 1:34 pm
RNY on 08/23/16

Thanks!

For the 6 months prior to surgery, I was faithfully using Sparkpeople to log my food.  Since I've had the surgery, I have been struggling with logging, as the amounts are so small right now.

I did download the My Fitness Pal app and will try again!

rocky513
on 9/27/16 11:46 am - WI

You could be lactose intolerant.  I was sick for months before I figured out that my protein supplement was loaded with lactose.  Find a protein that is whey isolate (which is 99% lactose free).  Most whey isolates will say on the label that it is lactose free.  If your protein contains whey concentrate, it has lactose in it.  Mix powders with almond milk, cashew milk, or water.

I can eat cheese and Greek yogurt with no problems.  Most of the lactose is consumed in the processing of them.  If I have milk I get very nauseated, gassy, and diarrhea.  

Try going lactose free for  week and see how you feel.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 532 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 514 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 396 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 243 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 125 views