Surgery day is almost here ...

gbarron56
on 10/16/16 5:18 pm
RNY on 10/20/16

Hi everyone... My August surgery was cancelled because I got non - healing ulcers in my legs caused by venous insufficiency. I had never even heard of this, let alone knew that I had it. Does anyone else have experience with this? To make a long story short, after weekly debridement and pressure wraps applied twice each week, and after saphenous vein ablation surgeries on each leg and 4 weeks of powerful antibiotics (oh yeah, the stores were infected with MRSA), I am finally ready for my surgery. I was cleared for surgery last week by both my surgeon and the anesthesia Department, and surgery is scheduled for this Thursday, October 20th, just four days away!!! Feelong both excitement and a good bit of anxiety right now.

Because I live 3 hours away from the hospital, we will be staying at a nearby Residence Inn from the time of my discharge until my 1 week follow up appointment. I have a pretty good idea what I will need to take to the hospital but I'm struggling with what I need to pack for the hotel and those first three to five days after discharge. I want to make sure and take the things that I will need but I also don't want to over pack and bring things that won't be used. Any help on this is appreciated. Thanks so much, Gretchen

Go_Zippy
on 10/16/16 6:32 pm
RNY on 10/20/16

Hi Gretchen!

I'm having my surgery on the 20th too. Good luck to both of us!

Have you asked your doctor/nurse/dietician what you might need to bring? My team's protocol is a full liquid diet for the first 2 weeks postop so it's still the protein shakes and clear liquids from the preop diet plus sugar free pudding, strained soups, etc. Will you have someone with you to run to the grocery store? Residence Inns are nice places - they have mini kitchens with fridge, microwave, etc 

I've had recurrent leg ulcers due to venous insufficiency but luckily no infections - our weight loss should help prevent them from coming back.

Take care!

Terri 

gbarron56
on 10/16/16 6:45 pm
RNY on 10/20/16

Thanks and best of luck to you also. We'll need to compare post op notes and progress. I pretty much know what to take for food but was wondering about things like gauze and tape for dressing changes, should I take a scale or just wait to be surprised at my post op appointment, certain OTC drugs that might be nice to have handy, stuff like that. I think I'm just getting nervous and over thinking everything. My mom and daughter will be with me and I guess they could go out and get me anything I need. I do think I want to take the scale and I can probably get a supply of dressings from the nurses before I leave the hospital.

Good luck again ... 5:30 Thursday morning will be here before we know it!

Gretchen Barron

HW 410; SW 378, RNY October 20, 2016

Monthly WL: M1=40 lbs; M2=28 lbs; M3=18 lbs; M4=8 lbs; M5=12 lbs;

CJ On Orcas
on 10/16/16 7:56 pm
RNY on 09/09/16

I would not take the scale if I were you.  Nasty surprise if you are counting on an early loss... I gained at my first weigh-in one week after.  It comes off, though.  

Agreed on the over-thinking ;). I used very little of what we brought.  Caution:  I stocked up on what I loved, and guess what?  I don't love any of it now.  I have a lot of protein drinks that I hate.  Just buy a very little.  I made so much food for the first little bit that I had to toss...

CJ On Orcas
on 10/16/16 7:51 pm
RNY on 09/09/16

congratulations!  I live two hours away from my hospital and had to stay in a rental house for five days... we had a kitchen so I brought food, which was mostly protein drinks, protein powder, and sf jello.  I needed my own pillow (actually brought two), my own blanket because I get cold now, robe gown slippers, and the other standard things you need (cell phone, ipad, etc).  I did not need many clothes because I wore the same thing every time I walked outside.  Your partner might need things though.  Mine had to go out frequently to get food.  I might bring an electric kettle for tea if you can't get it at your hotel.

I slept a lot those first few days.

gbarron56
on 10/16/16 9:10 pm
RNY on 10/20/16

Thanks for the advise ... I see you just had surgery about 5 weeks ago and already down 40 plus pounds ... that's fabulous ... keep up the good work.

Gretchen Barron

HW 410; SW 378, RNY October 20, 2016

Monthly WL: M1=40 lbs; M2=28 lbs; M3=18 lbs; M4=8 lbs; M5=12 lbs;

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 368 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 339 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 389 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 401 views