NEED TO HEAR FROM THE POST-OP PEOPLE

Canadian_Girl
on 10/25/16 1:36 pm

Hi Friends!! I have finally scheduled my surgery and I will be having my bypass on March 11/17. I don't know if it is fear or what it is but my mind is starting to comes with reasons why I shouldn't get the surgery. This happened before I cancelled and I don't want to wait anymore. I am just so mad at myself that because I am unable to get my **** together and lose this weight on my own that I need to undergo a surgery that is going to mean I can't go on vacation and eat all the junk I want or go to fair and eat my favorite corn dog. Am I crazy? Is this normal? If so, will it get better post surgery?

Grim_Traveller
on 10/25/16 1:42 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

In a year you can eat a corn dog. You won't be able to eat five of them, with fries, funnel cake, deep fried snickers, an ice cream and sodas. But a corn dog, sure.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

CJ On Orcas
on 10/25/16 1:52 pm
RNY on 09/09/16

I am six weeks post-op. In my own humble opinion you need to get straight whether you really want to lose the weight or not. If you do, then giving up your favorite corn dog or junk food at a fair or on vacation becomes unimportant. I am not saying I don't have moments where I miss my old favorite... my birthday is in a few days and I can no longer have Birthday cake. Oh well. I am down 45 pounds and this is the first time in my life that I am keeping the weight I have lost off. I am halfway to my first goal at only six weeks.   No regrets.  Except that I wish I had gotten it sooner.

My surgeon required counseling... very important on this journey if you want to be successful.  Good luck.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 10/25/16 2:20 pm

I mean this in the kindest possible way: I spent almost 40 years eating all the junk I wanted and going to fairs and eating corn dogs. I don't have a normal relationship with food, so I ate that way all the time. As you might expect, I ended up super morbidly obese with lots of health problems. By the time I booked a consultation, I wanted to live as well as possible and have a good quality of life, even if it meant I would have to follow a strict eating plan forever. My dear grandmother died from complications of obesity, and I didn't want to have the same problems.

At five years out, I can eat anything I want if I am willing to accept the consequences. I usually decide the consequences are not worth it. I still like food a lot, but I know that eating a donut, for example, would leave me feeling sick as a dog, so it's usually not worth it.

At first it was hard. I wanted to eat all the old crap. I worked to build good habits: protein first, no simple carbs, non starchy veggies, lots of water. Now protein-first eating is second nature to me. I don't tell myself I can't eat something; I tell myself I don't eat certain things.

I used to think that thin people had a magic metabolism or just worked out a lot, but the truth is that aside from a very few, most thin people are careful about their eating.

This does get better. It gets easier as we learn to live without food being our everything.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

catwoman7
on 10/25/16 6:11 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

you're right about thin people.  I spent some time pre-surgery observing what the women in my office typically eat for lunch.  There are a couple who usually eat things like a sandwich, chips, and a cookie - or get a burger and fries for take-out.  But there are a *lot* more who would eat these rabbit lunches - like a thing of yogurt, half a bagel, and an apple or some baby carrots.  Every day.  I came to the conclusion that like it or not, I was going to have to be one of latter to maintain a normal weight.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Deanna798
on 10/25/16 5:32 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

You are not crazy, because you are human.  I have always considered myself a strong person.  I've overcome so much in my life.  Yet I found myself 150+ pounds overweight.  How could I not get my **** together enough to get the weight off and get healthy?  Why did I not have the willpower to keep from eating that junk that was slowly, but surely, killing me?  Well, I know now that it is because I'm human, and I have an eating disorder.  I am 14 months post op, I'm like 15lbs from goal, and I STILL struggle with it.

The only difference is that I am going to live now.  I'll keep fighting, I'll keep pushing for my health.  Before surgery I'd "diet" for a week, or a month, but I always gave in and gained more weight.  I've lost over 130lbs in the last year and a half and its still coming off.  THAT is a miracle.

You CAN do this.  It will be hard at times, but you can do it.  You will be able to enjoy food, eventually.  like other posters, I can eat pretty much whatever I want, as long as I'm willing to accept the consequences.  The important thing is to remember where I came from and plan to never, ever go back there again.  

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

CathyV
on 10/25/16 6:42 pm

Well which is it? Do you want to lose weight, or do you want to eat all the junk you want? You can't do both, surgery or no surgery. The surgery just makes it easier to deny yourself. After surgery, eventually, you can have those things again, in small and occasional amounts. But no....the days of stuffing yourself with All The Things will be over. Only you know if you are ready. I felt like I didn't care if I had to live on rabbit pellets for the rest of my life, I was gonna do it. That doesn't mean I don't ever miss my old ways. I do! But not enough to have regrets.

HW- 375

SW- 358

GW- 175

Jo_Jo
on 10/26/16 4:54 am
RNY on 02/09/16

This is normal. I was so unsure that I tried to get up and leave in the operating room. I am so greatful for the amazing nurse that held my hand and reminded me about how great I would look & feel after. And she was right. There's nothing to be scared of. And it is worth it! You can do this! Eventually you will be able to eat whatever you want; but keep a before and after picture on your fridge, and you will never want to go back to your old ways. Good luck.

4' 11" Female. Sw 238. Goal138. 

Teena D.
on 10/26/16 7:40 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 01/12/17

I know you said post-op and I'm pre-op... but I do get where you are coming from. i'm not going to respond to the treats and so on, but I will say that only 5% of overweight people are able to lose weight and keep it off.... so be kind to yourself. 

RNY Jan 12, 2017 Lost 137 lbs but regained 60.

77 lbs lost and counting!

Losing the regain! I got this!

Eggface
on 10/26/16 4:21 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Leaving this here for you to read: http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2015/09/life- after-weight-loss-surgery-q-a_7.html 

Good food is on the other side of weight loss surgery and I dare say there isn't much we can't eat after about a year... but... I think you will find... it will hold less importance in your life. Weight loss surgery will be a helping hand but you will definitely need to LOL get-your-you-know-what together... because while it helps for sure the scale still goes in both directions... the helping hand is really about giving you an opportunity to really make some changes... maybe that will be thinking about vacations in a different way and talking to your family about how that might change, chatting with a therapist, working on the why's an emotional side of eating, etc. 

Best wishes with whatever you decide. It was the best gift I ever gave myself.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 763 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 340 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 494 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 272 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?