Migraine help

CathyV
on 10/28/16 5:34 am

this is day 4 or a migraine. :( my go to before surgery was 800 mg of ibuprofen. Of course I can't have that now. Last night I even took two hydrocodone (leftovers from surgery).... slept great, woke up with the migraine. Any ideas? I knew this day would come...this is actually my first migraine since surgery 8 weeks ago!

HW- 375

SW- 358

GW- 175

(deactivated member)
on 10/28/16 6:13 am

Caffeine and aspirin ( anacin) always helped me combat the very occasional migraine. You can ask your nut to prescribe Iv aspirin if they won't approve oral but I bet they will . The iv is much stronger. 

Are you checking your blood pressure? Migraines and high blood pressure are said to be related. 

Theres also an anti anxiety medicine called topamax that is prescribed to prevent migraines which also is said to help mitigate food cravings. 

((())) feel better

thebullheaded1
on 10/28/16 6:45 am - Chesapeake, VA
RNY on 06/27/16

Sorry you are dealing with a lasting migraine.  I was told that I could still take my prescription migraine medicine, and I have had to since Tylenol really doesn't help with my headaches.  I too was an 800 mg ibuprofen person!  Do you have a prescription?  If so, I would verify with your surgeon that you can take it.  If not, see if your surgeon will prescribe you one. I hope you feel better soon!

~Melanie~

Patty R.
on 10/28/16 7:03 am - Harrisville, RI
RNY on 09/08/16

I so feel your pain!!  While in the hosp for bypass I was started on PO imitrex 50 mg tablets. It worked like a dream after 2 doses!!  Ibuprofen was my "go to" also.

Migraines are my lasting gift from Lyme disease

I hope you are able to get some relief. If you can rest, keep things as dark as possible and lower volume on tv

Kakesie
on 10/28/16 7:30 am
RNY on 02/19/16

I have a prescription for Amerge (Naratriptan) that I can take for migraines that will really knock a migraine away.  I also take Topamax (Topiramate) as a migraine preventative.  I hope these will help you, too.  Migraines are AWFUL!

mute
on 10/28/16 8:03 am
RNY on 03/23/15

I am a pretty heavy migraine sufferer although they've gotten much better since WLS!

My go to now is Excedrin migraine because it has caffeine in it and that can help kick a migraine - that is for the 'baby' migraines.

Then I have the major migraine meds like Maxalt that helps if they get worse.

Then I have the preventives I'm also on - I'm on Topamax and a BP med for the beta blocking properties. Although I don't exactly recommend that after WLS because my BP gets pretty low now with it.

Melinda

HW: 377 SW: 362 CW:131

TOTAL LOSS: 249 pounds

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/28/16 10:07 am

have you ever try Ginger? 

Comparison between the efficacy of ginger and sumatriptan in the ablative treatment of the common migraine.

Maghbooli M1, Golipour F, Moghimi Esfandabadi A, Yousefi M.

Author information

Abstract

Frequency and torment caused by migraines direct patients toward a variety of remedies. Few studies to date have proposed ginger derivates for migraine relief. This study aims to evaluate the efficacy of ginger in the ablation of common migraine attack in comparison to sumatriptan therapy. In this double-blinded randomized clinical trial, 100 patients who had acute migraine without aura were randomly allocated to receive either ginger powder or sumatriptan. Time of headache onset, its severity, time interval from headache beginning to taking drug and patient self-estimation about response for five subsequent migraine attacks were recorded by patients. Patients(,) satisfaction from treatment efficacy and their willingness to continue it was also evaluated after 1?month following intervention. Two hours after using either drug, mean headaches severity decreased significantly. Efficacy of ginger powder and sumatriptan was similar. Clinical adverse effects of ginger powder were less than sumatriptan. Patients' satisfaction and willingness to continue did not differ. The effectiveness of ginger powder in the treatment of common migraine attacks is statistically comparable to sumatriptan. Ginger also poses a better side effect profile than sumatriptan.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

mute
on 10/28/16 10:13 am
RNY on 03/23/15

Thanks Hala. I only take triptans about 2 times a year because I hate the side effects. I keep them around and travel with them to be on the safe side though.

That abstract reminds me I also have another med - Frova, which is a triptan too, for when I get migraines with auras, it's the only med that works. They're so damn complicated!

(deactivated member)
on 10/28/16 2:31 pm

Ginger tea tastes good and is considered a totally safe way of extending life and lowering blood pressure in Asia ! I love candied ginger too :) 

Black (oolong ) tea works as a synergist with ginger and ginseng ... Look into it :) 

i love my results from drinking tea... 15 lbs lighter way more cut and defined... Never hungry. 

You can't keep your old eating and drinking habits and expect different results can you ? Especially long term 

Kakesie
on 10/29/16 5:38 am
RNY on 02/19/16

Excedrin has aspirin in it.  I thought we weren't allowed to take aspirin after WLS?

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 407 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 403 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views