long RnY protein sbd viyamin needs

godzilla
on 11/11/16 7:43 am - Israel
I am an 'old-timer' who rarely posts. I am now 53 years old with other medical conditions:hypothyroidism,fibromyalgia, osteoporosis (yes i took and take my supplements), osteoarthritis of left ankle with fusion (2006) and then bunionectomy; in 2005 total hysterectomy after PAP showed CIN1.
Old-style ring SRVG in 1992 open surgery with a highest weight of 120K/152cm. Slowly lost weight to 92K and then gained a kilo a year and vomited most everything i ate; endoscopy showed edema around the inside of the ring and the remaining esophageal area was 4mm. In 2001 in another open,surgery i was 'revised' to a VBG which is another permanent ring. I then developed severe reflux GERD and weighed 104K so i was a candidate for revision surgery but a very high risk if my revision could even be performed.
In 2008 i had long RnY; my bariatric surgeon told me my RnY is more like a DS but without the Sleeve but did not exactly twll me nutritional requirements and more specifically protein needs.
Unfortunately although health care here in Israel are four major groups and option for private if one wants. Many dieticians do not understand bariatric procedures and supplemental needs for ultimate nutrition.
I am quite careful in buying and taking my supplements and making sure about two hours apart for calcium and iron and no calcium/dairy/eggs in two hour proximity yet i still developed osteoporosis and borderline anemia.
Admittedly i buy my vitamin supplements via my hmo pharmacy and i 'order' my multivitamin and D3 via friends in Israel who order from the States.
I have learned to 'play around with dosing amounts' and i take 3 iron tablets with 2 500mg vit C.
I see/saw GP (PCP) frequently due to other health issues and have been hospitalized for stomach issues and orthopedic as well as most recently a very unexpected DVT (in the end was decided 'superficial thrombosis' but still scary and wasin hospital as precautionary-i just finished with clexane injections.
Bariatric dieticians seem to be few and far between snd of course as many here already know: required protocol information varies from not only our surgery and blood test results but hospital/state/country.
Since this past August i was in hospital for mild colitis, suspicion of pneumonia and then most recently the DVT. I have always been concerned for my blood test total protein that i liked it at 7.4 abd it slowly dropped over the past year down to 6.7 but still within the parentheses ranges of my hmo...however during this last hospitalization, the hospital blood labs showed a 'major' drop in that my albumin was2.8 and total protein was 5.8 so now internists at the hospital are concerned abd finally someone is listening to my concerns.
I never stopped drinking protein drinks made from,powder low carb and yet my blood tests showed otherwise.
I get Disability and i shop uding a debit card but eggs are sold s sold straight from farms but by cash only and i was negligent in,buying eggs. When i started eating eggs almost every day as a meal of 3 eggs at a time, my total cholesterol went from,198 down to 167. Eggs have albumen and i am thinking/wondering if i am,now returning to eating eggs on a regular basis of my albumin and total protein levels will go back up?
I dtill do not know how much total protein i need to be eating throughout the day but i use a scoop and a half of powder in my,protein drink in the morning and ive been aiming for what i weigh in kilos to eat that amount of grams of protein in foods so i was aiming for 70-80g/day to 'cover myself' against the known malapsorption issues of RnY/DS.
I have had apronectomy in 2011 weighing 83K-three kilo removed and it jumpstarted me to be able to lose weight agsin.
In September i weighed 67K but with the DVT i gained and weighed 70K; five days in the hospital and i when i was discharged i weighed 66K and have slowly started losing weight again and now i weigh 64K.
However i still really font knowhow much my protein intake should be.
Im turning to y'all for insights from newbies and old-timers.
Mikimi in Israel
crqvingchange
on 11/12/16 12:55 pm

That is certainly a lot to go through.  The only thing I might suggest is to make sure you are getting your protein in the protein shakes from whey protein isolate, because that is the type of protein we can easily absorb.  Liquid egg whites from the carton are usually pasteurized and can be added to shakes.  I have read that we only absorb 30 grams of protein at a time max.  Whether or not this is true, the others might chime in on this. 

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

godzilla
on 11/12/16 1:11 pm - Israel
My protein powder is whey isolate. Im yired of protein drinks but i keep drinking
And i dont buy egg whites in a carton-only real whole eggs.

(deactivated member)
on 11/12/16 4:24 pm

hi Mikimi! I'm very glad to see U doing better but I can't help worrying about U . Congratulations on your terrific weight loss and keeping it off -empty fat cell removing ps really quiets the cravings down doesn't it ? 

I would try iron containing greens ( spinach purée can be delicious) or even kale made with smoked turkey and onions  for taste . I really found I needed more iron after surgery no matter how positive or else I suffered a lack of energy. Ferro-sequels an iron supplement that does not contain elemental iron which we can't digest but rather four different varieties of digestible iron also really works well for me. If my energy level is low I take one for a few days and find I perk right up. 

Regarding protein levels I find I do really well as semi vegetarian... Contrary to many people on the website. Though rice and beans and just beans ( and I eat fresh eggs too - I made pad Thai noodles the other day with two and even occasionally indulge in a breakfast sandwich of over easy eggs hot sauce and ketchup on a roll ) put a bit of temporary water bloat on I find them very energizing . 

Do you like falafel ? Sometimes I make baked ( fat free) falafel balls with mashed eggplant mixed in for moistness and with fat free dressing, pickled vegetables and sweet onions it's a real treat with or without fresh pita bread .  (((())) so great to hear from you ! Hugs 

godzilla
on 11/12/16 10:31 pm - Israel
Thanks for your suggestions.
Eggs for me and meat and fish and beans but i will look into more grwens!
I am not a felafel person and i do not like eggplant so that last idea won't fly by me.
I'll try to get to a grocery store for frozen quality green veggies. I actually crave brussel sprouts but i always nuke my food and add salt,my Na in blood tests is in the range but on the lower spectrum so i'm not worried.
Thanks again
(deactivated member)
on 11/13/16 4:02 pm, edited 11/13/16 8:03 am

i love love baby brussels sprouts too ! particularly frozen ones ... tho i grow and sell the fresh ones organically . i suspect the frozen are softer and sweeter .. and still plenty healthy .   

i i roast my sprouts .. then swirl them in a fat free hollandaise ssauce made with ( my favorites) butter buds ( fat free natural butter solids ) fat free powdered milk and either bearnaise or hollandaise sauce mix . to which you can Very carefully add an organic egg if you want to make it more delicious and nutritious :) 

godzilla
on 11/14/16 12:18 am - Israel
You write of foid ideas that i would never do as i am not into organic foods nor do i know what availability there is in Israel supermarkets.
I live off Disability stipend and my necessary protein powder and vitamin supplements do not leave me much for specialty foods.
If you can give me recipes wirh regular easy to find but good for variatric people i would really appreciate that!
Mikimi in Israel
siberiancat
on 11/22/16 11:47 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

Hi Miliki - Haven't heard from you in quite a while.  I only get on OH a couple of days a week and find most of the posts are from pre-ops or new post ops.

I aim for 80-100 grams of protein a day.  At 7+ years out I still have a hot protein drink every morning - using whey isolate powder, ho****er and sugar free flavoring ( I switch flavors just to change things up.)

I eat protein first at meals.  I aim for 1 gram of protein per 10 calories - that is a good protein source for me.  Most of my protein is ground meat, chicken, eggs, cottage cheese and yogurt and occasionally tuna or shrimp.  I do keep protein bars on hand, too.

I often eat Fage 0% greek yogurt (unflavored) with a scoop of protein powder for supper.  I add sugar free pudding or  pumpkin puree (not pie filling) and add sugar free syrups - like brown sugar cinnamon and caramel - stir it up and put cinnamon on top.  With the ingredients I use it gives me 46 grams of protein - but I know I may not absorb all of that.

I've had issues like everyone else (bowel obstruction, reactive hypoglycemia, gluten intolerance, pancreatitis, osteopenia).

Hope you continue to do well.

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

godzilla
on 11/22/16 11:59 am - Israel
I see bariatric dietician next Thursday
Been trying to eat more eggs and meat; shrimp is not kosher and tge Greek yogurt here is not worth the effort to buy astgd protein not so high compared to its carbs and aim for 70-80g protein in foods-i dont count ny protein drink as part of my calculation.
I am,more on FB- I am an addict.
Thanks for your ideas.
Mikimi,in Israel
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 485 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 443 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 452 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 395 views