What would you do?

ladysunbeam
on 12/4/16 6:07 pm
RNY on 06/22/17

My first blog post was about being at crossroads and not knowing which direction to go... one road is in Missouri where I now live and the other road leads to Arkansas where my son lives.  Why am I at the crossroads now you might ask...  My current bariatric doctor in Missouri has a weight maximum of 350 lbs and I currently weigh 499 lbs which means I still need to lose 150 lbs before having surgery.  If I was to move to Arkansas I have found a bariatric doctor that has no weight maximum as long as he deems you healthy he will do surgery.  I have already lost 125 lbs on my own and it just seems impossible to lose another 150 lbs.  I am 54, type 2 diabetic, have several co-morbidities due to my being super morbidly obese and I am scare that if I don't have the surgery within the next year that it won't happen at all!  Something has to give as my health is hovering on the edge of going downhill quickly if I don't do something.  My mobility is becoming more limited which scares me to death, I don't want to become wheelchair bound or use a mobility scooter.  I want to LIVE LIFE rather than watch it pass me by, I know you all know what I am feeling as I am sure 90% of you have felt the same way at some time or another.

A friend said to me today that I keep running from state to state to address my weight issue and I am no better off than I was before I moved to Texas and Missouri.  It was hard to hear but she as right.  After attending the bariatric seminar on this past Friday, I realized that I need to work on my physical fitness as it is difficult for me to walk very far without my back killing me.  I also had a reality check that I haven't had my heart in the weight loss process this past 6 months.  I lost my focus... so the seminar rejuventated my focus on what I want and that is to have surgery somewhere in the near future!!  But I have to work on exercising/walking and focus my diet to get some more weight off.  

I would love you opinion on what you would do if you were in my shoes, lose 150 lbs and have surgery in Missouri, even though you have no idea of how long that will take; Or give yourself 6 months to work on your physical fitness and weight loss and move to Arkansas to have surgery sometime this year?  What would you do?

5' 3" Roux En Y- 6/22/17 HW 625 SW 471.2 CW 425
Dr Eagon Washington Univ Bariatric Center St Louis, MO
M1= 37 M2= 9 M3= M4= M5= M6= M7= M8= M9= M10= M11= M12=

The only difference between "extraordinary" and "ordinary" is that little "extra"!!

Grim_Traveller
on 12/4/16 6:29 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

If you have already lost 125, the odds of losing another 150 are pretty slim without surgery. I'm not sure where I would go, but I'd go somewhere, find a great surgeon, and have the surgery. Soon.

Good luck. keep us posted.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

ladysunbeam
on 12/4/16 6:55 pm
RNY on 06/22/17

I agree with you... just need to get support to move or find a bariatric doctor that takes medicaid in Missouri other than the one I have now.  Thanks for your reply!!  

(deactivated member)
on 12/4/16 8:07 pm
RNY on 09/22/16

I would be worried about finding a job with all the moving. There should be a physician somewhere reasonably near you that could do the surgery if it is indeed safe to do so. Finding a job and moving and then waiting on insurance to approve would take quite a while anyway, maybe look a little more into referrals for your area?

Just my opinion.

Ceci

ladysunbeam
on 12/4/16 8:19 pm
RNY on 06/22/17

I'm on disability so finding a job is not an issue, I have Medicaid and finding a bariatric doctor that takes it in Missouri has been difficult.  My current doctor is 3 1/2 hrs away from where I live since there are none in my area that take medicaid.'

Pokemom
on 12/4/16 9:47 pm, edited 12/4/16 1:47 pm
RNY on 12/29/14

I agree with Grim.  Statistically, it could be really unlikely that you will lose another 150 on your own.  (I do congratulate you on the 125 you have already lost!). I think you should try to find options for the surgery as soon as you can.  It will make such a difference.  I cannot speak to whether or not you should move, but if you have a place to go, a home you can stay in with your son, and a doctor willing to do the surgery in Arkansas, then do it.  Also, why take 6 more months working on your fitness?  Do the surgery asap.  Visit th doctor asap.  Working more on fitness will help, sure.  But the surgery will help more.  

I totally understand what you are saying about how you are at a crossroads, a tipping point, with your health. I was at that place, where my health was suffering, and moving around was difficult, and I "only weighed" 265.  I cannot imagine how difficult things must be for you at 499.

If you have been moving around, for your weight, like your friend says, has that been to see bariateic surgeons?  Why are you waiting any more?  Do you really want the surgery?  It is scary, but where you are now is really scary.  Find someone who will help you.  Find them now.  Do it now.

ladysunbeam
on 12/5/16 6:23 am
RNY on 06/22/17

I originally left Arkansas to separate from my now ex-husband to Missouri and then from Missouri to Texas to live with my sister to get on disability and to use her large backyard pool to swim in everyday to lose weight.  I did lose weight but ended up having to move back to Missouri due to a family emergency.  

I want surgery so badly!  My only concern with where my son lives is a very small town with a very small medical (doctors) pool.  I've tried to find a physician there that has worked with bariatric patients before as I will be 3 hours from the bariatric center.  I really need a swimming pool for exercise and there is not an indoor or outdoor pool in the town.  

Thank you for your input!

NYMom222
on 12/4/16 10:15 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

First congratulations on losing the 125. 

Second I wouldn't go with a surgeon who has a weight maximum of 350lbs. That doesn't even make sense, many people including myself  were over 350. That doesn't speak to his skills as a surgeon. 

I realize not every surgeon will operate on someone 600lbs...  But you have shown your commitment be losing already. I cNt comment on moving or not moving..   but find a surgeon that eill work with you. Don't wait. 

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

ladysunbeam
on 12/5/16 6:24 am
RNY on 06/22/17

Thanks for your input!

White Dove
on 12/4/16 10:33 pm - Warren, OH

I would pack my things and be in Arkansas before Christmas.  Get the surgery and get on with your life.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 424 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 424 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 211 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views