Miserable after fig newton

chassibi
on 12/5/16 7:51 am

last night after our all day Pearl Harbor tour I was tired, cold and hungry. (Rained all day here and the tour bus driver had the ac cranked). 

We came back to our cottage and I devoured 2 fig newtons and a cup of hot tea. 30 min later cue the heart racing and lethargy. I didn't have any abdominal pain or diarrhea/vomiting. This lasted for about 1.5 hours. 

Was this likely dumping or RH? It happened about 30 min after I ate the damned cookies. 

And I won't be going for a repeat performance anytime soon. 

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/5/16 8:06 am

to know it is was RH - you need blood sugar monitor. yu may invest in that. a doc can give you a script for that.  

Some of the BS monitors have coupons inside - for a free meter - the cath is - teh srips are so expensive - they make money on you buying the strips  

there was time, that I used my meter daily or even a few times a day.  Now - I know mine clear symptoms when my BS is tanking. plus my RH got much better, and I know what to do to avoid it - even if I eat sugary stuff. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Grim_Traveller
on 12/5/16 9:12 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Not dumping. Dumping is curled up on the floor, waiting to die. I'd bet my car on RH.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

takingarisk3825
on 12/6/16 10:15 am

Pardon my ignorance but what is RH?

stacyrg
on 12/5/16 9:31 am
VSG on 05/12/14

My vote is on dumping.  This is a new problem that has cropped up for me (lately I feel like I'm the poster child for problems.)  15-20 minutes after I eat (it started with fruit, but has progressed to basically everything), my heart starts to race and pound like its trying to escape my chest.  Both my surgeon and dietitian believe it is a form of dumping syndrome.  The vets (Grim and Hala) may be right, but from what I'm learning by experience, i'd say dumping.

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/5/16 9:39 am

I get that- I call that- mild form of dumping. When I eat grains, or sweets, or some fruits and some other food can cause that.  

but some fruits - like berries or grapefruit- do not do that....  grapes, watermelon, bananas- more than a bite - I get what you describe. 

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/5/16 9:43 am

BTW to add: I get similar things that I call "a mild form of dumping". when I ate enough to cause some reaction but not all of it... "wanting to die" reaction...I know better than to EVER do that now... (8 years of training).  Sometimes - I also get mild to severe muscle cramps... that indicates my body is pulling water from my system into the small intestine.

The next day after that - I get more "liquidy" BM, more gas... that confirms my body "dumped"  water into  my small intestine... 

Rosalie123
on 12/5/16 12:27 pm

I also experience different symptoms depending on what I eat. Full blown "dumping" ... agree ... feels like going to die. But I have experienced heart racing and lethargy symptoms after eating something sugary. I too know the next day as have cramps and diarrhea. Teaches me to stay away from sugar!

RNY 2/24/15

selhard
on 12/5/16 12:49 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

...guessing the combination of having an empty pouch, tired, and cold contributed to the perfect storm. Thus, offering a tip to you and everyone out there in WLS-world no matter how old you are:  Dear grasshoppers, if taking a tour, try to schedule it with a senior citizen group. I recently took one where the bus stopped frequently, snacks and drinks were passed out freely, garbage was collected promptly, and there was ample help getting on and off the bus.  It was great...didn't have to worry about my bladder or pouch once.

NYMom222
on 12/5/16 6:18 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

That is funny advice but so true....

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 424 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 427 views