Emotional Mood Swings

wannabesupermomm
y

on 1/15/17 7:39 pm - New York, NY
RNY on 10/25/16 with

Its crazy how losing this much weight this quickly can mess with you. I feel like I haven't been this happy in years, and then I crash from it because of how far I have to go, and feeling like I can't express the emotions I'm experiencing just from surgery. I know I need to find someone to talk to, like my old psychiatrist, but I felt like just throwing it out here too. I guess in order to be skinny you have to go a little crazy! 

MsKitty12345
on 1/15/17 10:39 pm
RNY on 12/05/16

I've been feeling this way for a couple weeks and I'm told it's normal- that our bodies are trying to adjust.  I've started keeping a journal to get the feelings OUT.  You might want to try it- it's helped me.

MsKitty...

Insert Fitness
on 1/16/17 3:17 am

So much this! The behaviorist at my clinic gave me a heads up about, and I tried preparing myself and my husband for it, but it's one thing to understand it theoretically and another to actually experience it. I think finding someone to talk through it is a good idea.

in addition to what you described, many of us are also dealing with hormone dumping, especially in the early days. But for me, the biggest challenge was that I can't use food as a distraction from my feelings anymore. It was my go to coping mechanism. So those emotions have to go somewhere else now.

i deeply wished it caused me to become a clean freak. It didn't. Hahaha. 

Things that helped me:

logging on here, seeing other people in the same situation is more valuable than I ever would have believed

talking through and acknowledging my feelings

exercise has been hugely helpful

getting a hobbie to keep my head busy.

im four months out, and I have to say I think things have leveled off, for now. 

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

(deactivated member)
on 1/16/17 7:34 am
RNY on 10/26/16

I kept meaning to search on this topic.  Interesting.  I've been a raging AH at times, with a very short fuse lately.  Very unlike me and I don't like it.  I hope it levels out soon.  I was thinking about seeing someone, but waiting as a new to me psychologist is speaking at next month's support group meeting.  The one that did my pre-op eval was fantastic, but he ended up being out of network.  I ended up footing the whole $200 bill vs. paying $25 copay.  It was the only out of network visit, so I had my deductible to meet.  Still would have cost me $80 or more after the deductible.  So I want to see if this guy and I connect at the meeting.

(deactivated member)
on 1/16/17 7:52 am
RNY on 11/22/16

This is so me!!! I feel like I am an emotional wreck. Its like PMS on steroids!!

Grim_Traveller
on 1/16/17 7:56 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Hormone dumping is very real, but it probably won't help you at your trial. Ride it out as best you can. It gets better, I promise.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 1/16/17 8:42 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I completely agree that much of the emotional struggle is caused from hormone dumping.  However, I'd also like to suggest that additionally, there's a marked loss of coping devices when we undergo bariatric surgery.

For myself, food had always been my go-to.  It was a part of all celebrations.  Weddings, birthdays, vacations, anniversaries -- revolved around where we would eat or the party that centered around food.  It alleviated boredom and comforted me when I was sad or lonely.  There's a reason for the trope of a depressed woman with a spoon and a quart of chocolate ice cream, after all.  Food was my reward for a job well-done.  Got a promotion at work?  Let's go out to eat!  It was my medicine when I was sick.  Food made me feel better.  Basically, food had attached itself to every emotion I felt.  Therefore, when the option of food was removed, I was left to deal with all my emotions without its connection.

That is a very scary thing.

The truth is that none of us (or most of us) would not have become obese had we a "normal" relationship with food.  This is why so many vets talk about the "head" work -- that surgery may deal with our stomach, but doesn't fix our head.  A lot of the feelings I had in the beginning were overwhelming because I hadn't dealt with feeling without my drug of choice (food) for a very long time -- if ever.  

Don't hesitate to start working on your relationship with food and dealing with your feelings.  You are not alone -- so many of us have been there and do understand.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

wannabesupermomm
y

on 1/16/17 10:51 am - New York, NY
RNY on 10/25/16 with

Yes. It feels like I am feeling things for the first time in years. Its totally liberating, but also makes me prone to mood swings lol. I am just thankful that (for now) I haven't even wanted to reach for any food. I hope that bodes well to my success in creating a healthy relationship with food from now on.

Patty R.
on 1/16/17 10:34 am - Harrisville, RI
RNY on 09/08/16

Agree with all the above !!!!!      The struggle is real...

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 504 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 468 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 409 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 420 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 101 views
Forum Search Error & 404