Friday January 20th

Daniel B.
on 1/24/17 5:59 am - Mansfield, OH
RNY on 01/20/17

Well it is official, I joined the team last Friday.

Surgery went well (RNY) but the doctor noted that I was a bleeder.  Also after surgery I asked for some pain medication (which I don't even take medicines at home as I just hate pills)  The nurse gave my .75 dilaudid and then about an hour later I asked for more so they gave me .75 more. After 3 hours I asked for more and since in theory 1.5 was the correct dosage he gave my 1.5 in one shot in my IV.  Was feeling good and was walking often and got up to do another lap in the hall and I went down!  They called a code Blue and after showing my now 15 closest friends every part of my body I was transferred to Surgery ICU as I was labeled high fall risk!  No pain or problems from the fall but it was not something my momma and niece need to witness and obviously scared the hell out of them.  I was in ICU for 24 hours and then moved back to the Bari floor.  

Sunday as others were getting released I knew that I would not as my drain was still filing and my hemoglobin was getting low do to all the blood loss from surgery.  Sunday night I had my pitty party after my support team left and wondered briefly if I did the wrong thing.  A few tears were shed but I knew that I was ready for this and as soon as I could get my numbers up I would also be at home resting.  Sunday I set a record on the Bari floor for 37 laps around the floor (old record was 27) so I knew that I had to do all I could do personally to get home.  Really never an issue with gases but its believed the fall on Friday night reduced the gas pains.

Monday during the 7a resident rounds I was told my Hemoglobin was still at 8.4 and they won't start a blood transfusion until 7.0 so again I was frustrated but if I needed to be there another day then so be it.  I was no longer considered a high fall risk so I could wander the halls for boredom when needed.  Around 9:30a as I was leaving my room to do another lap the nurse said she was going to make me happy today.  I told her I was fragile and unless making me happy was sending me home all else was a let down, she said she just got the orders and would have me released by 10:15a.  I was so happy I went back to my room and cried!  

Around 10:05 she was in the room disconnecting all my monitors and removing my last IV.  I also received instructions on how to empty and care for my drain.  I was home Monday by noon and it feels so great!

I am still weak as I am still losing blood through my drain but have a follow up with the surgeon on Thursday and I hope it can be removed, but I am still removing 30 cc's twice daily so that is still draining quite a bit and I hope that I do not need a blood transfusion but again we will take it as needed.  You all know this is the start of the journey and if it was easy and simple more people would do this process.

Again I am still happy with my decision and I understand that this is not for everyone but please be aware that sometimes there are more risks involved that maybe you don't read about and well this is my story and yours will be different as well, but this is my story to tell and as I use my new tool the positive stories will outweigh the negative ones for sure.

Thanks for listening and I wish all the newbies after me a life of wisdom and success as you can now tell your new story.

NasaJen
on 1/24/17 6:20 am
RNY on 12/09/16

Congratulations!  You're going to do great!  Isn't it nice getting back to your own bed, even if you can't quite sleep comfortably yet!

LapBand: 3.2.10

RNY: 12.9.16

Highest: 451

Morning of RNY: 283

Current: 195

odie
on 1/24/17 6:36 am
RNY on 05/26/14

Glad you're home but don't overdo!!  I had an RNY and hear other people on these sites talking about drain tubes but I never had that! Strange, I guess we do everything different in Canada!!

To Thine Own Self Be True!!

catwoman7
on 1/24/17 7:16 am
RNY on 06/03/15

it must depend on the surgeon - I never had them, either (it seems like a majority don't) (I live in the US)

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

MrSRC
on 1/24/17 6:52 am
RNY on 01/10/17

Thanks for sharing your story with us. I didn't have a drain tube so I couldn't even begin to understand what you're going through in that aspect. It does sound like you are eager to get the weight off and that's good. Please be sure to take it easy though! Good luck on your journey

HW: 418

SW: 321 RNY 1/09/17

CW: 223

THE COUNTDOWN TO 200LBS LOST HAS BEGUN...5LBS TO GO!

rachelp
on 1/24/17 7:55 am
VSG on 08/01/16

Congrats!  Take it easy!

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

Mahalo F.
on 1/24/17 9:22 am

Welcome to the losers bench 

Congratulations on having the surgery!

From a nursing perspective... The drains are in place to drains all fluids that shouldn't remain in your abdomen.  You mentioned you were a bleeder. The drains reduce the risk of infection.  The worst is behind you & I imagine they will recommend Iron supplementation to increase your hemoglobin.

You are alive and at home.  That is all that matters.

Be careful as a low hemoglobin but you at risk decreased oxygen carrying capacity.  You remain a fall risk.

Move with care & ease...

Best advice I got here...

SIP ? WALK ? TOOT ? REST & REPEAT

Take care of yourself

Mahalo

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

IN THE END WE ONLY REGRET CHANCES WE DIDN'T TAKE.

Caroljo4444
on 1/24/17 2:11 pm

Wow! It's like you're ice skating along and then woo hoo... well nice recovery!!!! You had your misstep, you've gotten up and brushed off, now you can move forward!

I had drains too, "HATED THEM"!  and was so ready to get them out.  A lady in the waiting room said, "oh, you have drains, they hurt so bad when they remove them"! Ugh, I hated for her to say that because I would have liked to have been surprised about that!  Well, she must have been a weenie, because it didn't hurt at all... so don't let anyone tell you any different!

Congrats on the surgery and let us hear from you!

Carol

Banded 12/2006 - Revision to RNY 9/26/2016

HW 262 - SW 235 - CW 134

Daniel B.
on 1/25/17 5:42 am - Mansfield, OH
RNY on 01/20/17

How long did you have your drain?  I go to the surgeon tomorrow but it is still really draining so I am sure I will come home with it.

Caroljo4444
on 1/28/17 11:10 am

sorry for the late reply, i only had my drain until Friday afternoon my surgery on a Monday.  i hope you got yours out by now! love to know how you're doing! 

Carol

Banded 12/2006 - Revision to RNY 9/26/2016

HW 262 - SW 235 - CW 134

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 544 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 527 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 324 views