Would this cause dumping?

NewYork Loser
on 2/21/17 7:34 pm
RNY on 08/02/17

In prepping for my life after surgery I've been pinning different recipe ideas on Pinterest. But I have a question about desserts. I'm the type of person that just loves sweets. If I was to make a  sugar free dessert do you think that would still cause dumping? Like for example there was a sugar free cake mix in one of the recipes. Or like there was a recipe for sugar free fudge that had sugar free condensed milk and sugar free chocolate chips. Are these acceptable to eat life after surgery?  Or will if cause problems?

peachpie
on 2/21/17 8:03 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Some people react negatively to the sugar alcohols in sugar free products. Some people don't dump with sugar at all. I'd have to eat a crap ton of sugar on the 3rd phase of the moon to feel a little uncomfortable. 

Sugar free condensed milk sounds like an oxymoron. I still use a teaspoon of regular condensed milk in my oatmeal- which I only eat maybe 2x a month these days. 

I can't make any dessert recipes- be it sugar free or reduced calorie, low fat-- whatever-- I would eat it all- and restriction is basically non existent with these type of foods. 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

CerealKiller Kat71
on 2/21/17 8:27 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I would not eat that and I am three years out.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Renee C.
on 2/21/17 10:26 pm - Bellevue, WA
Revision on 02/01/17

You may find that you aren't interested in sweets nearly as much after your surgery, especially at first.  I know, it's surprising, but it happens to a lot of RNYers.  I had a serious sweet tooth and now even the sweetness of crystal light and protein shakes is off-putting.  I was so happy to move to the soft foods stage so I could have more savory options available.

But I haven't dumped on any SF foods I've been having during these early non-solid-food phases, and I know people use things like SF syrups without trouble.  

Band removal & RNY Feb 1 2017

The Salty Hag
on 2/21/17 11:02 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

Keep in mind that only about 30% of RNYers dump.

Commercially produced sugar free/no sugar added baked goods/ candy/desserts almost always contain a sugar alcohol called maltitol, which often gives people heinous gastrointestinal distress. ( gas and or the runs ) Sorbitol is the 2nd most commonly found sugar alcohol found in these types of foods and it's little better than maltitol in terms of gastrointestinal yuckiness. Sugar free, low carb desserts made with sugar alcohols won't cause dumping, but they can still make you feel awful and give a somewhat "dumping" feeling. 

Sugar free cake mixes, brownie mixes, cookies and the like still contain flour, which could potentially cause dumping since white, processed flour is a simple carb. It's a starchy food. 

Once you have surgery, you'll be on a liquid diet which usually ( but not always ) includes protein shakes. They're PLENTY sweet enough to curb any sweet tooth. 

Going forward through your food phases, you'll be best served by avoiding anything even remotely resembling traditional dessert type foods-at least until you're at goal and maintaining your weight. 

I also have a pretty wicked sweet tooth. I shut it up in my losing phase by eating Dannon Light and Fit Greek yogurt either for breakfast or a mid morning snack. Dannon Triple Zero is also a pretty decent choice. A benefit from choosing those yogurts is a protein boost, and they are lower in sugar than most oher flavored yogurts. You can also do plain Greek yogurt and flavor it with a sugar sub and some vanilla and/or cinnamon.

Further out from surgery, yogurt is considered a slider food so not the best choice for a meal/snack because it isn't dense protein, but in terms of a dessert item, they aren't a terrible choice. If you're a chocolate fan, the Greek yogurt I suggested has a couple of nicely flavored chocolate choices. That being said, post surgery making good food choices and establishing a healthy relationship with food are very important, not only for losing your excess weight and getting to goal and maintaining a healthy weight, but for helping you in fighting any food addiction you may have now. Eating something dessert-like for dessert's sake needs to be an occasional treat. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Ashley in Belgium
on 2/21/17 11:19 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

I am someone who is extremely sensitive to any kind of sugar alcohol or substitute.  I can't eat fruit either for the same reason.  I also have RH so I must be very careful with my diet for that reason as well.

I know it is overwhelming to think that sweets and other foods are going to be off the menu after surgery so my advice is to wait and see how you feel and what tastes good.  You will have plenty of time to figure it out, make mistakes, and learn what you need to do to get to your goal.  

At 3.5 years out of my 2nd WLS, I would not eat any of the things you've mentioned.  I do not eat any substitutes if I can avoid them and I make every effort to eat simple ingredients high in protein.  

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

White Dove
on 2/22/17 3:52 am - Warren, OH

My rule after surgery was no sugar, no flour, no rice, no bread, no potatoes and no cereal.

I did purchase an ice cream machine and made a lot of ice cream from my protein shakes. 

Weigh****chers is full of recipes like sugar-free cakes, but those people who do those recipes never permanently lose their weight. 

To keep your weight off after the first easy two years, you need to change your eating and exercise habits.  Start that change now and keep it up after surgery and for the rest of your life.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Queen JB
on 2/22/17 4:56 am
RNY on 07/20/15

I think that making/eating substitute recipes is a very slippery slope. We are doing this really drastic thing to our bodies to get all the help we can for this relationship we have to unhealthy food.... I don't think that making fake versions of it is really teaching our minds and bodies the right lesson.

I still indulge in the real sugary treats here and there (ok, Valentine's Day was just a mess), so I don't claim to have tamed the beast completely! But I think that if I had super sweet fake versions of treats more often it wouldn't feel like as much of a big deal to have the real stuff and I would be heading down the scary road to regain much more quickly. 

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

The Salty Hag
on 2/22/17 5:38 am
RNY on 05/20/13

You speak the truth, JB! 

I can avoid conventional desserts because I know I'll pay for it if I eat them, but if you put a low carb, no sugar added cheesecake in front of me, you'd see me struggling with diving headfirst into it. I'm getting better with it, but it's still hard-especially with something like cheesecake because ya know...cream cheese and eggs ARE a source of protein after all. 

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

karenp8
on 2/22/17 6:02 am - Brighton, IL

I agree with JB too. I had a huge sweet tooth before surgery and it's the reason I got to almost 300 pounds. I don't make or eat any fake sweets now because that is part of my relationship with food that has changed. I don't do moderation well so even the artificially sweetened versions are off limits to me now because I know the next step would be the real thing. 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 324 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 376 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 467 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 381 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 324 views