New here! :) some fears

SarahSmiles94
on 3/1/17 3:13 pm
RNY on 03/30/17

My name is Sarah and I'm getting surgery this March. I'm very nervous about one major things really, 1. Will I increase my chances of getting osteoporosis and how can I prevent it? 

Im 23 and in general, I feel well informed and prepared. I'm just a littler nervous that maybe I am too young. I'm pretty much "healthy" right now, what if I'm bringing on more problems? 

Also so sorry for no picture. I don't know how to add it on my phone

Achappe1
on 2/24/17 5:29 pm
RNY on 03/01/17

Girl let me tell you, one thing I have noticed when age is brought up, or if anybody has anything they regret one of the major things they say is... "I wish I would've done this sooner!" We are getting that chance. 

I am also 23, and will be getting my surgery on March 1st! So cheers to surgery sisters! You've got this. Fears and worries are a normal everyday part of life. We cannot let those things control our lives. We are in control. We've got this. 

And believe me when I say, the amount of support you will get from here is outrageous! We are in this together and I am only a message away:) 

SarahSmiles94
on 2/24/17 8:19 pm
RNY on 03/30/17

I've heard that at my support group too! Honestly, the only people that say I'm too young are people that really know very little about being obese or the surgery. 

I keep telling myself, hey I've been to all the classes, I've done my six (really closer to 8) month diet, I've lost some weight, I know so much more about this surgery than any other average joe- I CAN DO THIS! 

I think you're so right! Thanks for the encouragement. :)

hollykim
on 2/24/17 5:50 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 24, 2017 at 11:24 PM Pacific Time, SarahSmiles94 wrote:

My name is Sarah and I'm getting surgery this March. I'm very nervous about one major things really, 1. Will I increase my chances of getting osteoporosis and how can I prevent it? 

Im 23 and in general, I feel well informed and prepared. I'm just a littler nervous that maybe I am too young. I'm pretty much "healthy" right now, what if I'm bringing on more problems? 

Also so sorry for no picture. I don't know how to add it on my phone

having was doesn't mean you will get osteoporosis. Ppl who have never had was  develo osteoporosis every day.

what I can tell you is, if you develop it at some point, it will be a lot better managed at a normal weight than at a morbidly obese weight.

i wish I could have had it st 23.

SarahSmiles94
on 2/24/17 8:16 pm
RNY on 03/30/17

So true! Thanks!

Loril1963
on 2/24/17 7:16 pm
RNY on 10/28/16

Take your vitamins/calcium etc. and you will be good   This forum is fantastic. Keep posting. Hey in one way or another we've all been there. 

Renee C.
on 2/24/17 7:43 pm - Bellevue, WA
Revision on 02/01/17

Worrying is perfectly normal!  I think you'll find that you are going to be preventing problems rather than bringing on more.  Even if you do end up with a complication or two over the years, most are manageable and less harmful to your body than the problems brought on by being morbidly obese.  

Then there are the social implications:  how being obese affects your career, no matter how good you are at your job.  Love life/Sex life.  Pregnancy and keeping up with small children... etc.

Band removal & RNY Feb 1 2017

SarahSmiles94
on 2/24/17 8:22 pm
RNY on 03/30/17

Man you're so right about the social implications. I've been over weight as long as I can remember and officially obese since around junior high. In that time I've experienced lost of bologna from people that treat me differently due to my weight. I'm actually interested/excited/nervous to see how that may change. Thanks!!

Pokemom
on 2/24/17 8:01 pm
RNY on 12/29/14

There a re a lot of things that affect bone density besides calcium.  One big one is activity and resistance exercise.  Your bones are denser when you make them work more.  So exercise, including strength training.  Take your calcium.  There are so many things in your life between now and when osteoporosis tends to hit women (menopause).  Live your life and be strong!

Kala2032
on 2/24/17 10:46 pm - Marrero, LA
RNY on 02/08/16

If i remember correctly there is a slighter chance since we are all malabsorption but that is why we take calcium citrate. The big thing to remember is citrate not carbonate. I love my Dietitian the one that did our classes. She told us, I dont want to see you coming in the 5 years from now with broken bones on your record. My first question to you will be about your calcium intake. she said most of them switched to the carbonate over the time. Big no no. 

At 23, you are very young. but think about this... you are overweight now, imagine what other problems you are setting yourself up for. Diabetes, Heart problems, high blood pressure.high cholesterol, sleep apnea(which all these can happen when you are normal weight too). You are on the right track it appears. You are taking charge of your health now before it spirals anymore out of control. The best thing about it is you are young so bouncing back is sometimes easier. Good luck and always know people here at Obesityhelp have gone through what you have. Same fears, same questions most likely and i know anytime i post something I great awesome people responding. Even if you dont want to post and just be a voyeur, sometimes you learn a lot just by browsing.  But never be afraid to ask. 

Height 5' 10, HW: 538 lbs 05/2015, SW: 444 lbs 2/2016, CW:213lbs 8/2017

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 357 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 386 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 161 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 477 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 395 views