Any VSG to RNY people here who can help?

mi75
on 3/24/17 5:14 am
VSG on 06/01/14

I am 3 yr post VSG and had some good initial weight loss, however my severe GERD/Barrett's esophagus didn't ever resolve completely, even at my lowest weight.

I am seeing a new surgeon (change of insurance) who has assured me that if i'm still having GERD, my option is to revise.

I have had regain as well, so I really have 2 issues-regain & GERD.

I posted on the Revision forum but haven't gotten much help. What I want to know is: can I expect some good loss again once I'm revised, AND anybody have similar GERD issues that were 100% resolved after revision?

I made some mistakes after VSG, including returning to a very unhealthy work environment, pushing exercise aside, and not seeking support. I have learned from all of those mistakes: changed jobs, went back to grad school, joined a gym and get there often, AND started also seeing the psych at my new surgeon's office. It has made a huge difference in my approach, unfortunately I STILL have the GERD and some regain to deal with.

I appreciate your help!

White Dove
on 3/24/17 7:42 am - Warren, OH

Revising to RNY should result in weight loss. You will have malabsorption of calories. Your surgeon can tell you his experience with patients who have had the revision.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

stacyrg
on 3/24/17 9:14 am
VSG on 05/12/14

I revised from VSG to RNY because of severe GERD. I was about 10 pounds above goal at the time of my surgery and I've now lost that and am goal. My surgeon told me that weight loss after revision is slower and takes more work than after the initial surgery, but I didn't have a significant amount to lose, so it didn't reall impact me. I know others have lost a significant amount after revision from band to RNY and have reached goal, so it can be done. As far as resolution of my GERD, I'd say I'm 95-99% resolved. I still take Zantac for breakthrough acid, but it is nowhere near as bad as it was. Revision was the best decision for me.

mi75
on 3/24/17 9:57 am
VSG on 06/01/14

Wow. thank you both! I am seeing the surgeon in May to discuss his experiences and get going on this.

The idea of being off ALL medication is exciting. I would love to never again have reflux. It would be such a blessing. And...obviously great for my health overall.

I know losing will probably be slower, but I honestly am very willing to do extra work this time if it means the GERD will be gone and I can finally reach goal.

GmaDiana
on 3/24/17 7:31 pm

I also had revision surgery sleeve to bypass because of acid reflux. Wish I would of had bypass to begin with.My revision surgery was Nov. 2016,5 years after my sleeve. I too didn't make goal weight with sleeve because of going back to some bad habits.I did keep off 50-60lbs. I have since lost another 42 lbs.altogeth 90 lbs gone.No regrets at all. I am a lot more careful what I put in my mouth this time.

Good luck on your journey to revision.

mi75
on 3/29/17 10:48 am
VSG on 06/01/14

thank you for this response. i'm nervous to revise because I have read some stories on the forums about people having more issues after revision. however, i'm at the point where I really need to lose AND deal with the GERD, so i'm willing to take the risk.

Thank you for the input. I appreciate your story, and it gives me hope that both issues will clear up with the revision.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 76 replies · 762 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 336 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 35 replies · 493 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 272 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 91 views
Recent Topics