11 year update

Dennis W.
on 4/20/17 11:08 am - Spokane Valley, WA

This fall it will be 11 years since I had my surgery. A am a male, 46 years old 6' 3" tall. When I had my surgery in 2006 I weighed 438 pounds. Within a year and a half of my surgery I had gotten down to about 250 pounds, which was about where I wanted to stay.

As time and life went by, I gradually began to adjust to everyday living and enjoying the things that I had before. While I couldn't eat the volume of food that I once had, I developed a tolerance for sweets and fatty foods and so my weight began to creep back on. It seems that my unregulated post surgery weight is about 350 pounds, and that's what I've been at for the last few years. Still lower than what I started at, but not where I want to be.

When I turned 45 I heard one of the leaders of my church talk about being 90 years old. I decided then that I would really like to live that long, but I know that if I maintain this weight I likely won't live that long, or at least it won't be pleasant.

At the beginning of this month I decided to commit to making a renewed effort. The most success I had on a diet before surgery was Adkins. I have heard a lot about the Keto diet lately so I thought that it might be good to go the low carb route. My weigh in at the beginning of the month was 352.

One thing that has really surprised me about doing this diet is that it seems to have in some ways reactivated the effects of my surgery. I no longer crave sweets and I can't eat as much as I used to. I haven't had a growling stomach for a while now and I am generally satisfied. I was worried that I had ruined the benefits of my surgery, but I don't think so.

As of now I weigh 343, down 9 pounds since April 4th.

I am grateful that I had the surgery and that it has kept me far from the 400+ weight that I started with. I am now optimistic about getting back down to my goal weight of 250. I feel like it is doable. I'd also like to be more active on this forum so that I can receive and give support and encouragement.

selhard
on 4/20/17 12:27 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

Regain stories are hard to admit, courageous to talk about, and important to share. Cheering you on for continued success and thanking you for sparking motivation to do the same.

(deactivated member)
on 4/20/17 12:28 pm

I am glad you came back to the forums. One thing is being here you may help someone telling them the struggles and success you have had. Sharing is important.

There are a lot of vets who have stayed here on the forums and are still at goal weight. I think coming here and giving support and getting support has helped them.

I am almost 4 years out. I know for me coming her even though it is time consuming but it helps me.

Best wishes to you.

HonestOmnivore
on 4/20/17 2:26 pm
RNY on 03/29/17

thanks for posting, I hope to keep up with your quest to lose the regain.

I truly appreciate your story, as I'm on the very front end of this and I feel like I only have this one shot. I'm going to be 50 this year, so this is going to determine how my remaining time will be spent. Either I'll be ill, disabled, and sickly from my obesity related issues, or I'll be fit, active and healthy.

5'4" 49yrs at surgery date

SW - 206 CW - 128
M1 - 20lb M2 - 9 lb M3 - 7 lb M4 - 7 lb M5 - 7 lb M6 - 6 lb M7 - 4 lb M8 - 1 lb M9 - 2 lb M10 - 4 lb M11 - 0lb M12 - 3lb M13 - 0 lb M14 - 2 lb M15 - 0 lb M16 - 3 lb

Grim_Traveller
on 4/20/17 9:57 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Hi Dennis. I'm glad you're back, and digging in on your new plan. It will be harder now than it was right after surgery, but you can still do this.

You can see from the stats in my signature that we started out in about the same place, It's a lot of hard work to stay on task, but it is really worth it.

Keep coming back here every day. It really help keep me in check, that's for sure.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Pokemom
on 4/20/17 10:18 pm
RNY on 12/29/14

I wish you best of luck in your efforts. I appreciated the reminder of how we can return to our old bad habits, and the hope that we can also return to good habits with the help of our tools. I love this site and I hope you find it supportive again for you now so many years out.

I am just 2+ years out. I have times that I struggle to eat as I should, so your reminders were really important to me.

p.s. I get your "church leader turning 90" reference. :-)

Ladytazz
on 4/21/17 11:10 pm

I love hearing about how you feel like you reset your surgery. You have restriction and aren't craving sweets. Because you aren't eating them.

So many people have regain and come back looking for revision advice and truly the only revision they need is in their thinking. Most of the time the surgery hasn't failed and will give you the help you need if you follow the guidelines.

So now, instead of going through surgery all over again your are making your surgery work for you! It has always been there, available for you once you decided to take advantage of the benefits it offers.

Hang in there and keep posting and keeping us updated about your success and keeping yourself accountable. There is no reason you can't reach your goal as long as you continue to work for it.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 481 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 441 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 443 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 394 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 110 views
Forum Search Error & 404