Beta Blockers and Exercise

LawsonBrenda67
on 4/22/17 5:11 pm

Hi Everyone: I had RNY surgery about 12 years ago. 2 years after surgery I was in car accident and have slowly gained weight due to my rehabilitation. I now have severe anxiety and was put on a beta blocker (atenolol) for the fast heart rate and bp. It has worked well. I'm nervous to exercise because I've been reading your heart rate doesn't get to a good enough level to up your metabolism. I don't know what other medication to look into that wouldn't give me this speed bump. I don't tolerate depression meds (can't keep steady enough level).

Anyone else been on this an exercised and lost successfully?

Thanks,

Brenda

ScottAndrews
on 4/23/17 5:47 am, edited 4/22/17 10:48 pm
RNY on 03/20/17
  • By all means beta blockers should not be an excuse not to exercise. Regular exercise can lower your BP & HR eliminating the need to take beta blockers in the first place.

What needs to be watched out is that you should not over exert yourself trying to reach a certain heart rate that may have been easy to achieve prior to you taking Beta blockers.

You should always consult with a MD before undertaking a new exercise program but I seriously doubt any doctor would tell you don't bother exercising because of beta blockers.

LawsonBrenda67
on 4/23/17 7:42 am

Thank you. I'm on low dose 12.mg atenolol mostly to control fast heart rate from anxiety. I definitely want to exercise and safely. I wasn't sure if anyone knhere was dealing with same. But I will definitely talk to the doc about it. :) thanks again!

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/23/17 8:37 am

Study shows that exercise makes us happy - diet helps us lose weight.

Diet is 90% exercise - at best - 10%.

Strenuous exercise always makes me very hungry and I tend to eat more. I started exercising when I lost too much too weight and wanted to gain some appetite so I could eat more.

Weigh lifting - even smaller weights - may help build muscles?. Muscles burn more energy even when we sleep.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 552 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 537 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 424 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 335 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 133 views
Recent Topics