Feeling overwhelmed from my Dr's apt

FindingKurr
on 4/24/17 5:18 pm

After a small chat last Friday with my Dr office about acute abdominal pain on my left side they decided they wanted to see me today. It ended up totally overwhelming me.

First they told me while they're very happy with and for me it was not recommend for me to lose any more weight. When I expressed maybe 10 more for room for potential regain in the future it was met with a stern " that's not a good idea". She was firm that I was at a regular BMI and anymore would not be a good idea. Anyone have this before? I feel like long term having a buffer may be very good especially since I'm not even 10 months out. They suggested I increase to 1400 calories min upwards to 1800. I eat maybe 900 now. I feel no where ready to consume that much food. Honestly it scares me. I don't feel ready mentally or physically.

Second we talked about my belly and after an exam and 1000 questions she decided it's a possible hernia and now I need a cat scan. Has anyone had a hernia or cat scan? What should I expect? And can anyone who has had a hernia tell me what symptoms they had. If not a hernia she said they could do an endoscopy. Ugh. Also the little lump I asked you all about a few weeks ago she said was just a lump of fat. Kinda yukky. Haha but at least that is ok. Also, I kinda feel more gasey than normal and wonder if that could be the source of the pain. Thinking maybe I should try gas x and just see if that helps before I pay for a cat scan. Idk.

1. Overload central. Any insight would be appreciated.

Height: 5'7" Age:37 HW:340 SW:320 CW:150 GW:159 Stretch Goal:145 RNY 6/30/16

"The road is long and in the end the journey is the destination"

Rosemi
on 4/24/17 5:49 pm

Please don't be afraid of your feelings...you are your own best expert. .. no overload central - just take care of your "stuff" until you feel secure that all is well...just one thing at a time...one right after the other... Including your weight goal... as long as you are healthy it's all good.

FindingKurr
on 4/24/17 8:53 pm

Thank you!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/24/17 7:52 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I have no comment on you goal weight, because frankly, I think goal weights are a very personal thing. I like to be under my actual goal -- to give myself a cushion. I cannot eat what they are recommending to you without gaining. In fact, my maintenance level is between 951 and 1100 a day. I am quite a bit shorter than you, however. (5'5")

I had a hernia. Mine was pretty serious by the time I had it operated on. At first my symptoms were just a small bulge above my belly button but below my chest bone -- mid stomach. I had a soreness and discomfort -- and gassy bowels. As it progressed, it became worse and larger. Eating became uncomfortable as my bowel became incarcerated in the hole -- long story short: by the time of surgery to repair it, my bowel was days away from being strangulated and I was very uncomfortable.

I can see no reason not get CT scan to see what you are dealing with. There's no pain involved in doing so -- and then you can know for sure. Hernias are EXTREMELY common from being obese.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

FindingKurr
on 4/24/17 8:55 pm

Wow, scary! I'm so glad you caught that. I will have the cat scan just to be safe. You're right, It's best to know. Thank you!

Kathyjs
on 4/28/17 4:49 pm

Yup I have had 3 hernia repairs since bypass. Bulge and sore my symptoms . Surgery was not bad but I had the mesh put in last time and I sure know it's there

catwoman7
on 4/24/17 8:20 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

to increase by that many calories, you'd have to do it gradually.

If you are ready to quit losing weight, then you may have to experiment to find your maintenance range. I'm 5'6" and I've been maintaining for the last four months on 1500-1700 calories (actually, I've lost a couple of pounds in the last week - not sure how/why). I know others who have to eat quite a bit less than that to maintain, though.

my PCP wanted me to quit losing weight, too. She does not like to see her older adult patients (which would be me...) drop below a 23 BMI (I've seen this in other places, too - evidently a common opinion). I too was wanting to drop another 10 pounds as a cushion, but she said I was fine - and to just work to stay where I am.

curious, I had one of those commercial DEXA scans done recently. My body fat is 22%. The technician (who's not a medical professional, that I'm aware of) said that percentage was fine, but I don't want to get much lower than that.

so anyway, I did decide to stop after both of these conversations and gradually increased my calories until I got to a level where I was comfortable and easily maintaining my weight. It's a little different for everyone..

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

FindingKurr
on 4/24/17 8:57 pm

That's the thing I'm not really feeling done losing. I really want to lose another 10 or so pounds. Then once I'm there start slowly increasing calories till I find my maintaince level. I need to get a dexa scan! Thank you!

ScottAndrews
on 4/24/17 8:37 pm
RNY on 03/20/17

CT scan is not a big deal. You lay down and they inject you with some contrast liquid. It makes you feel warm which is nice because the room is usually quite cold. Then you sort of slide in and out of this big plastic donut looking machine. It takes about 5 minutes.

FindingKurr
on 4/24/17 8:58 pm

Sounds pretty much how she explained. The cost worries me but I know I have to do it! Thank you.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 364 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 287 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 388 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 480 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?