Anyone find it hard to adjust after surgery?

Breezy84
on 4/27/17 2:10 pm
RNY on 06/06/17

If everything goes well with my last visit in may, I am scheduled for surgery in June and I am super excited but again nervous because it is surgery...haha. I have been doing well so far but just curious if anyone has had any problems adjusting afterwards?

Karen9849
on 4/27/17 4:07 pm

Hi

I am 7 months out from my surgery. I have had 3 prior abdominal surgeries so my surgery was open and I spent 6 days in the hospital. I knew all this going in, but was still excited to do it.. Don't get me wrong, I was scared to death and almost cancelled the day before. Well fast forward 7 months. I am 4 lbs from my personal goal. I hit my surgeons goal last month. I can honestly tell you, I truly wish I did this 10 yrs ago. I was what was considered a light weight, just under 200 lbs. I am currently at 128 lbs and wear a size 8. I still feel like a fat person, but I am healthy, no more diabetes, high blood pressure , cholesterol etc. Its a hard decision, but one i'm sure you will not regret. There are people with problems, but most do not have serious issues. Keep pushing forward, you wont regret it.

Best of luck

RNY 9/14/16  - Start Weight 192, Goal Weight 125

slightlyrocky
on 4/28/17 5:50 am - Titusville, FL
RNY on 05/02/17

Thank you so much!

mamamia89
on 4/28/17 6:22 am
RNY on 04/19/17

So happy to finally find someone who is a "lightweight." I was just over 200 pounds pre-surgery after 20 pounds lost in the few months prior. Congratulations to you on your success. Same here; wish I would have done this some time ago.

I am a week out and feeling fantastic. Mentally still can't wrap my brain around being 40 or more pounds lighter. So, my question to you is, what does your daily intake look like food-wise? I am still on post op liquid phase, so prepping to head into food phase but would love advice and knowledge from someone who has it behind them.

Thanks!

Karen9849
on 4/28/17 8:31 am

Hi,

I'm probably a bad example, because I have been eating too many calories daily. I'm probably around 1,000 to 1,100 daily. I know this is bad and I am presently trying to get a handle on this. I'm actually starting on Monday to try a week of the shakes for breakfast and lunch then normal dinner to re-set my pouch as they say. Unfortunately I can eat just about anything and not have any effects. This of course is dangerous. Thank God ice cream makes me sick! lol

I usually eat yogurt for breakfast with some berries in it. I have a stick cheese with three low fat triscuits for snack around 10:30 (triscuits bad idea) I feel I need something crunchy to feel like I have eaten, (don't do this). Lunch I try to eat shrimp ****tail at least twice a week 4 pcs is 3 oz of the extra large. If I don't have shrimp, I will have turkey and swiss roll ups, 2-3 pcs. Or a burger no bun. Dinner I focus on the meat portion of whatever I make for my husband. My problem is snacking, I have not shaken the habbit. I work in a cubicle with a women who snacks all day long. I hear hear her chewing, smell the pretzels etc, and I cave in. Bad, Bad, Bad. I do try to do healthy snacks, like an apple with peanut butter, but peanut butter is high calories, also pistacios, gives you that salty snack feeling. I'm 4 lbs from my personal goal and I am going to hit it, i'm too close not to.

Nice to hear from you, feel free to ask anything, Heading camping for the weekend, so I probably won't be back online until Sunday.

Karen

RNY 9/14/16  - Start Weight 192, Goal Weight 125

Grim_Traveller
on 4/27/17 4:42 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Best thing I ever did.

Being nervous is understandable. But really, all of this will be a distant memory before you know it. You'll be really, really glad you did this.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

aesposito
on 4/27/17 5:08 pm

Physically, I dealt. Emotionally I would say it took me 2-3 years to really figure out who this new me was, and how I fit into life. I had a serious battle with depression early on, and the new GI tract wasn't handling Prozac the same way my old GI tract did...

But I worked it all out and feel pretty great now. Just be aware that everyone deals differently, physically and emotionally.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

CJ On Orcas
on 4/27/17 6:53 pm
RNY on 09/09/16

I am 7+ months out. Seriously the best decision of my life. I am 11 pounds from my surgeons goal of 170, and I would like to lose another 20 pounds after that. My diabetes is gone, I can walk again, am on no pain meds at all. It was a *****allenging adjusting to the new eating patterns, but I spent a lot of time on OH which helped tremendously. Me some vets.

My life is completely different. I love to buy clothes. I love myself, and that is probably the first time in 40 years for me. I have a ton of joy just in living my life.

Do it... you will not regret it.

Breezy84
on 4/27/17 8:05 pm
RNY on 06/06/17

O I PLAN ON GOING THROUGH WITH IT, I HAVE TRIED SO HARD TO LOSE WEIGHT AND I AM JUST NOT COMFORTABLE WITH MYSELF. I ALSO HAVE HEALTH ISSUES THAT RUN IN MY FAMILY SO I AM CONCERNED WITH THAT SO I WANT TO MAKE SURE I AM HEALTHY SO I CAN AVOID THAT.

slightlyrocky
on 4/28/17 6:15 am - Titusville, FL
RNY on 05/02/17

Thank you for your post!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 516 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 397 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?