When food does not agree with you, what do you do?

Simplyb
on 4/29/17 9:21 am
RNY on 04/12/17

So I am starting puréed food.

Mashed potato = forget it, pain with two teaspoons

Unsweetened Fruit Purée = forget it, pain with two teaspoons

1 Egg white, 1/4 cup 1% milk, pinch of magic baking powder = agony, with four teaspoons! I have been throwing up foam, clear fluid and undigested egg for 3.5 hours, approx every half hour. I could not even keep down sips of water that I tried to take after vomiting to avoid dehydration.

I keep getting cold chills, hair standing up on my arms, I break out in a full sweat, I am pacing, belching and staying close to the sink. It is burning in the centre of my chest and up my throat. I get some relief after spitting up foam, clear fluid and a small amount of undigested food.

The only thing I have tolerated so far on the puréed diet is low fat puréed soup and puréed cooked till mushy cauliflower.

Is this normal as we attempt to add new foods?

Any suggestions? Advice?

Surgery: RNY April 12/2017 - Humber River Hospital

Current Weight: 225 lbs

peachpie
on 4/29/17 9:35 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Remember puree consistency should be able to 'drain' easily off of a spoon. Unless those mashed potatoes are super liquidy- I would not consider them pureed. I'll spare you the lecture than mashed potatoes aren't even the best choice---

Go back to pure liquids IMO. The lack of tolerance seems pretty severe-- it you cant' get down water- you may have stricture. How are you tolerating protein shakes, water, jello, yogurt? I'd go to a "full liquids" diet for now and call your surgeon in you can't tolerate even that.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Simplyb
on 4/29/17 10:02 am
RNY on 04/12/17

Thanks for sparing me the lecture on mashed potato, already learnt my lesson :)

I was tolerating yogurt and really well mashed cottage cheese and all other full fluids.

I can't keep water down since the eggs and hope it is isolated to the eggs and that I just need the stomach and throat to calm down.

The eggs were very sloppy and fluffy with the milk and magic powder. And I wonder if the magic baking powder was the culprit.

I must say I felt better after each vomiting episode but it was hard to get to the vomiting stage. (Also, let me say how strange that feels - more like a throat vomit than a stomach now the stomach is so small)

Is there any anti-acid we can use if this happens again? Or something to purge without hurting the stomach?

CJ On Orcas
on 4/29/17 10:29 am, edited 4/29/17 3:31 am
RNY on 09/09/16

I would back off on the eggs, any veggies and whatever that magic baking powder is. Eggs were tough for me for a while... I am almost 8 months out and even this morning scrambled eggs did not sit very well. Greek yogurt, protein shakes, protein chicken broth, cottage cheese, maybe some refried beans. Eggface has some great recipes for a ricotta bake that might work (theworldaccorsingtoeggface)

Some of the things you are trying were so problematic for me. I stopped mashed potatoes right away. Throwing up is really weird now... but although I just hate doing it, I have found that sometimes it is the fastest way forward. It helps right away, so I recommnd going that route sooner rather than later if whatever you ate hurts. I get the feeling that I am having a heart attack... horrible but as soon as I get rid of the food I feel just fine.

Good luck! It is so totally worth the little bumps in the road.

Simplyb
on 4/29/17 10:37 am
RNY on 04/12/17

Yep, heart attack describes it very well!

Much worse than gas pain, who would have thought that was possible?

It is too bad that the list they give you from the hospital is what is causing me the most problems :(

thanks, lets hope the bumps in the roads become smaller along with me :)

CJ On Orcas
on 4/29/17 10:41 am
RNY on 09/09/16

They will! This is the most wonderful thing I have ever done for me. If you have not already, try looking at the Whats on your menu thread... lots of people posting what they are eating, from early out to veterans. Some great ideas. Just go slow, and try to cut those carbs out ;)

peachpie
on 4/29/17 11:23 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

If your feeling a bit better with vomiting- I think its a matter of getting that food 'blockage' to pass.

In the time I've been stuck- I've tried a tums out of sheer desperation- can't say it helped much. I've heard papaya enzymes help- but who knows where you'd even buy that. I've never heard of adding baking powder to eggs- baking powder makes things expand, right? Doesn't sound like the best combination on a new pouch.

Vomiting post op is a very different feel than pre-op. I kid that I no longer vomit...I spit up just like a baby, lol. Thankfully that is a very rare occurrence.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Gina 21 Years Out
on 4/30/17 12:58 pm - Burleson, TX

I get my Papaya Enzymes at WalMart, in the vitamin section...can also get at CVS, Walgreens, Amazon, etc

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

CathyV
on 4/29/17 9:47 am

Back off for the weekend. I had a really hard time with egg for a while, don't know why. Some things just don't sit well for some people. Make sure you are getting enough protein and liquids, call your surgeon on Monday. Best tolerated early foods for me were yogurt, cottage cheese, soups, refried beans.

HW- 375

SW- 358

GW- 175

Simplyb
on 4/29/17 10:04 am
RNY on 04/12/17

Every one keeps saying retried beans will try them, next week.

I am going to go back to clear and full fluids for the rest of the weekend as suggested once this stops, which I hope it does really soon!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 413 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 359 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 406 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?