Had my surgery on Tuesday

slightlyrocky
on 5/5/17 5:39 am - Titusville, FL
RNY on 05/02/17

Had surgery on Tuesday. What was thought to be a 2 hour surgery was actually 5 hours. When the surgeon went to repair my hiatal hernia he discovered years of embedded scar tissue with my stomach sticking through. He repaired it all and I am thankful for that. As far as the bypass all went well. I am able drink sips of liquids with no nausea or discomfort I was up and walking within a couple hours after surgery. The worse part is my stomach muscles - I feel like I did 10,000 sit ups! Also gas. Taking Gas-X for that and it seems to help. I think I am retaining water but the doc said to keep hydrating and that will go away. Thanks for your support and advice - it has helped me a lot. Sip, sip, sip, walk, walk, walk!

Librarian67
on 5/5/17 5:51 am
RNY on 02/28/17

So glad to here the good news! I'm sorry that they found more difficulties than they expected, but at least it is fixed and now you can mend! Yes, the gas can be a problem, and I retained fluids for almost 2 weeks after surgery. But sip, sip, sip, walk, walk, walk!

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.

slightlyrocky
on 5/5/17 6:13 am - Titusville, FL
RNY on 05/02/17

Thanks! Appreciate your help! I was on water pills as part of my hypertension for years but the doc took me off them. I weighed myself this morning and was rather discouraged when I was 10 lbs more than when I went into surgery and I have had next to nothing to eat. Did that happen to you?

Librarian67
on 5/5/17 7:12 am
RNY on 02/28/17

I was so disappointed when people talked about losing all of this weight in the first week (one friend more than 30 pounds!) and I had gained. My problem is that I had alot of trouble urinating at first plus all of the swelling and fluids in the hospital stayed with me. It eventually came off in about a week to 10 days, but I was really discouraged at first.

Hang in there and hydrate as much as possible. You will eventually get rid of it. Your body is holding on to it only temporarily.

HW: 248+, SW (RNY: 2/28/17): 244, GW (10/17): 125; LW: 115; 45# regain (19-20); CW: 135.6; new goal: 135; Plastics: Ext mastopexy, Ext abdominoplasty-5/18/2018; diagnosed w/ gastroparesis 11/20.

karenp8
on 5/5/17 7:15 am - Brighton, IL

I was in the hospital only one night but my weight was 16 pounds when I went home from the IVS. Just keep drinking and eventually your kidneys will wake up and flu**** all out. Keep sipping and walking.

NotOldMomma
on 5/5/17 5:54 am

Congratulations! I havent had my surgery yet but of course am excited to take the new journey but scared. Did you have those same feelings? Are you breathing a sigh of relief that it is over lol? How are they administering the Gas-X? The chewable pills? What type of pain meds are they giving you? Pain meds always make me nauseous lol except motrin which I wont be able to take after. And how are you swallowing them? Will they be releasing you today or tomorrow? Have you thought of all the things you're going to be able to do that you couldnt do before? Thats one of the things I've been thinking of to help me get through being scared.

A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES STARTS WITH A SINGLE STEP. ......

slightlyrocky
on 5/5/17 6:39 am - Titusville, FL
RNY on 05/02/17

Hello there! Nice to meet you! Surgery was Tuesday and I was in the hospital until late yesterday afternoon. I was scared to death but the good people on here and the doctor's staff saw me through. I had a fleeting thought of jumping off the gurney and running away! Glad I did not do that! The first thing I did when I woke up after the surgery was say to myself I did it! I actually did it (and I didn't croak!)! I am taking Extra Strength Gas-X. They are itsy bitty little coated pills and they go down with no problem with a sip of liquid. Gas-X also comes in dissolve able strips that dissolve in your mouth. I know some people use those. In the hospital they gave me chalky pills of simethicone to chew up and swallow. The pain medication is a rather large bottle of hydro something and tylenol. This stuff scares me to death so I plan to only take it if I really need it. The doc also prescribed nausea meds just in case - I have not been nauseous or vomited at all. The only issues I have are my stomach muscles and gas. I also suspect I am constipated. I am addressing this issue by 1 dose Myralax daily then 2 doses if nothing happens then magnesium citrate if the Myralax doesn't work,

There are many things I will be able to do after I lose this fat! There are so many it would take me all day to list them - the first and foremost would be to do more fun stuff with my granddaughters - ages 2 and 6.

If I can do this - you can too!

NotOldMomma
on 5/5/17 7:07 am

lol I could totally see me jumping off the gurney and running away ! One thing I have heard tho is dont skip that pain medicine or you will regret it. I obviously dont know 1st hand, but I guess we'll find out through trial and error if u dont take yours lol. But ive seen quite a few posts of people saying dont skip it, dont wait to be in pain or else when you do take it, it will have minimal effect cause you're body will be trying to play catch up, so as scared as i am of pain meds, i would try to take at least half or something. Is the gas-x not relieving the gas?

Yes, I dont have grandkids yet but my kids are old enough to start producing them soon so I want to be alive to take care of them! I bet you're super excited knowing all the things you'll be able to do and though I don't know if I'll want to, but I'll at least have the option of riding a roller coaster cause I'll fit in the seat then! My baby leaves for college in the fall and I want to be around to see her graduate too.

A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES STARTS WITH A SINGLE STEP. ......

Librarian67
on 5/5/17 7:16 am
RNY on 02/28/17

Just another word of caution. Take your pain meds and don't avoid them. They are needed to make you comfortable so that your body can heal. In a few days you can come off of them if you don't need them, but for now stay comfortable.

ScottAndrews
on 5/5/17 6:06 am
RNY on 03/20/17

Congrats!

I think most folks leave the hospital heavier than when came and thats all fluid. By the time you see your surgeon for that first follow-up you'll see the scale dip in your favor

5 hours is a long surgery and the anasthesia could be with you for a while. I was having night sweats for 2-3 weeks. It's powerful stuff and it stores itself in our fat cells.

Keep getting those walks in.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 569 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 358 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 257 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 459 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 375 views